Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 HELP! aussie L type history
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aussieLtype

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  09:41:35  Show Profile
Hello from down under! my father owns an MG L type, engine number 805 A 97C, chassis number 00481. So far i have managed to track the history in Australia as far back as 1945. This appears to be approximately the time it arrived in Australia. I was wondering if anyone could help with the UK history of the vehicle? Ultimately I would like to find a previous UK registration number for the vehicle, and maybe some photos, but any information at all would be fantastic. Thankyou in advance, Andrew Booth

need help with aussie L type, UK rego history pre 1945?

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  10:25:43  Show Profile
Hello Andrew,

I sugggest you email Bob Clare, the Registrar of the Register. His details are on the Contacts page of this website.

John R
Go to Top of Page

aussieLtype

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  10:38:39  Show Profile
cheers thank you John, i will do that .

Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3239 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  11:22:55  Show Profile
Hi Andrew

Have you contacted the MG Car Club,Abingdon,who may hold the original chassis file information for the L type. These records show when the car was delivered, any correspondence from the first owner if there were warranty issues etc.

Regards George

Edited by - George Eagle on 25/08/2009 11:26:00
Go to Top of Page

aussieLtype

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  16:06:10  Show Profile
Yes I emailed the mg car club, but two weeks have passed and no reply! What would be the best email address to write too? Thankyou George.

Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  17:45:04  Show Profile
Andrew,

I can tell you that the original UK Registration Number was MG 2682 and it was first registered on 1st September 1933 and it was originally an Abbey Coupe. I suspect Bob Clare can give you more information.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

aussieLtype

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  22:27:48  Show Profile
Excellent thankyou Peter! This is the first info I've found on the vehicle in the UK! Is it possible to obtain copys of these documents? cheers Andrew.

Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  10:29:31  Show Profile
Hello Andrew,

Try e-mailing John Inness at Kimber House. He is usually quite fast in replying and sending out service files if available for your chassis number. His address is johninness@mgcc.co.uk

Good luck!
Cathelijne Spoelstra
Go to Top of Page

Bob Clare

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  14:18:15  Show Profile
Today Andrew e-mailed me with the news that his father's car is L 0483 NOT L 0481. This came as a bit of a shock to them though I already had my suspicions that there was a clash of onwership dates.

Anyway, Andrew now has a problem because the factory file for L 0483 went missing during the great BL factory record chuck-out from Abingdon in '69. I have therefore very little info on this car except that it still has its original engine which is good.

Does anyone out there know anything about L 0483?

Second problem is that we now need to look for L 0481. It was last heard of in 1985 when Whyndom Welch wrote to the Register to query whether Peter/Andrew actually had L 0481. The last owner we can trace from the '80s was J.G. Deneef who lived in Ave. Louise in Brussels. Do any of you nice folk in Belgium or indeed anywhere, know anything about Mr. Deneef or the car?

Any information welcome.
Bob Clare
Triple-M Registrar
Go to Top of Page

Matthew Magilton

Australia
179 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2009 :  11:42:19  Show Profile
I have been helping Andrew with some Australian registration information which shows that their car (as listed by their engine number) has been in Victoria since 1945 and in New South Wales before that. Unfortunately no photo has come to light to show the origins of the salonette/coupe body it is known to have had. Without wishing to jump to any conclusions, is it possible that Abbey aquired a batch of consecutive cars from Abingdon? Do we know the bodies worn by L 0482 and L 0484?

Cheers,
Matthew.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2009 :  17:56:47  Show Profile
Matthew,

From the notes I have L0481 is listed as being a Fixed Head Coupe registered MG 2682, L0482 is also listed as a Fixed Head Coupe registered MG 2802, and L0484 is listed as a Saloon registered MG 2812.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

Matthew Magilton

Australia
179 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2009 :  01:34:51  Show Profile
Thank you Peter. It looks as if an Abbey batch could be a distinct possibility. And all supplied to University Motors too?? Or did other dealers also have access to MG registration numbers? There seems to be a cluster of these here.

Cheers,
Matthew.
Go to Top of Page

peterb

Australia
55 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  01:41:21  Show Profile
Hi, ref aussie l type history , on behalf of my son Andrew and myself I heartily thank you all for your contribution .Lo483 it is and mechanically very much the same car as left the factory 76 years ago.Body is styled on factory L1 4seat sports. the confusion of chassis no. comes from the incorrect no. L0481 being stamped on the side of the chassis in plain veiw whereas the real no. was found on the front spring holders obscured by countless coats of black paint, today I intend to take it to the austin 7 car club hillclimb . best wishes to all.Peter
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000