Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Scuttle Paint Damage
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Keith Wallace

United Kingdom
367 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2009 :  13:23:03  Show Profile
As the re-spray nears completion, I know all the hard work of rubbing down and filling the twin lines of marks, left by 70+ years of the windscreen seal being lowered and raised on the scuttle has been worthwhile.
The question is, to avoid damage to the paintwork again should I leave the seal off? I have notice that a few owners have not replaced their seals.
Is there a way of lessoning the force the rubber seal pushes down on to the scuttle paintwork? how have others overcome this problem?
Keith

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2009 :  17:00:32  Show Profile
Keith

I went through this dilemma last year when I reshaped, repaired and repainted my scuttle. I decided to leave the rubber seal off for a couple of months. At the same time I checked other memberÆs cars and everyone of them had marking from the seal to some degree or other. After two months I replaced the seal, which was a new one so it exerts quite a pressure on the scuttle. And sure enough I now have a line in the paint. I guess that it is unavoidable unless you leave it long enough for the paint to get really hard. If the painting is done by a professional, with heat lamps, it would of course harden more quickly.

I do not use the car with the windscreen lowered so the line is not normally visible. And the scuttle looks infinitely better than it did before I started. After two months it was time to move on and turn my attention to the next job.

You donÆt worry about an invisible line when youÆre enjoying yourself driving it.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3238 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2009 :  18:34:01  Show Profile
I would rather have the rubber in place when driving on a wet and windy day! The alternative would be a lap full of water - as was the case when I once had the privelage of driving Barry Foster's lovely C type on the road in a downpour. I was soaked but happy!

George
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2009 :  08:32:02  Show Profile
We have a similar problem. Having taken the windscreen off for competition I revealed an inch wide line void of paint formed perfectly over the last 10yrs! Now cunningly covered by carpet tape..not very attractive but invisable from about 30ft! But I m unwilling to respray as the same thing will happen again especially with the windscreen back on for winter. I agree with george I dont fancy removing the seal for the coming seasons. Any brilliant solutions would be great!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000