Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Headlight Set Up
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2009 :  11:16:13  Show Profile
Whilst out driving in the pitch dark earlier this week, I blew a fuse and lost my headlights. A very scary experience considering my speed and lack of any street lighting! At least my brakes work!

Clearly I have short somewhere in my full/dip switch and will investigate. I had been "flashed" by an on-coming driver so presume my lights are not focussed correctly and/or correctly positioned.

Any advise on how to do this and what to look for in terms of bulb focus please?

With the aid of a very kind passing driver, with working lights, I got on my way after resetting the switch and fitting a spare fuse.

Thanks

Robin

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2009 :  11:58:05  Show Profile
Robin

Some of the connections in the dip switch are very close together. I managed to short a couple of connections when I rewired my car. Fortunately this was identified when I checked the various circuits before switch-on. So care is meeded in wiring the switch and in routing the wires.

I align my headlights by adjusting the full beam to just below horizontal. ie with the beam on the end garage wall being not quite as high as the centre of the head lights from the ground. I also check the width of the two beams in a similar manner to check that they are pointing straight ahead.

Peter

Go to Top of Page

mgtommm

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2009 :  20:36:57  Show Profile
Robin, Peter has it right, but I'll go just a bit deeper. We have a large overhead garage door with a white horizontal stripe just under level from the height of the bulbs. I like to be back 20-25 feet (Whitworth)and with the bulbs clamps loose the bulbs can be pushed in or pulled out to get the proper FOCUS. You'll see the pattern - it can be pretty wild or non-existent if it was never done.

When you like the pattern of smallish concentrated light beams, then they can be aimed properly. I like going just south of the white bulb line, plus we have two vertical intersect lines at the same width as the two bulbs are apart on the car. Once you have both decent focus and aim, give it a try at night. Hopefully you can see well and nobody will flash you. With their lights.

tommm in cold, wet, dark Ohio
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2009 :  21:19:01  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mgtommm

Robin, Peter has it right, but I'll go just a bit deeper.....

Tom

Er yes my wife is always telling me that I am a minimalist. My reply was a little short on detail. Must try to be a bit more comprehensive in future........... but it won't happen so stick around Tom to explain my replies.

Guess it must be getting cold in Ohio now that October is here. Before I relired from Timken I used to visit Canton Ohio regularly (once a year on average). However I must admit that it was the summers which I disliked the most. Hign temperatures and humidity - not for me.

Have fun, Peter
Go to Top of Page

mgtommm

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2009 :  21:52:19  Show Profile
Peter, Ohio is wonderful in the summer as long as one is out on Lake Erie, preferably sailing around the islands. There's definitely a different type of flashing going on there but won't get into that here. tmmm and it's still cold, wet, dreary, & trying to snow..... in Ohio
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000