Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Goodwood Sprint 2009
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2009 :  08:41:55  Show Profile
VSCC Goodwood Sprint Sat 24th October.

Just in case you fancied a day out! It’s certainly an early start for the competitors but for the main action:
Practise 9:00
Timed Runs 13:30

Of the full 100 entries 8 are MGs , good effort. PB, J2, KN, Q replica, K Special, J Sports, PA, L2.

It will be my last event this yr before the PB gets some well needed TLC over the winter. I ve had a brilliant first season of competition and it’s been great to meet so many of the Triple M members out and about. Hopefully see a few more of you next weekend!

Edited by - Dolts on 16/10/2009 09:11:49

peterfenichel

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2009 :  14:14:31  Show Profile
Should be a good day out, assuming the weather holds. And, the noise police are a bit more user friendly than they were last year when quite a few competitors failed to run. I failed twice in my K Type first attempt was told I was at 110db (which seemed odd as the weekend before at Donington I was at 104db). After warming the car and putting on the fishtail I was told I was at 113db! Several Bugatti's never made it near 105db on the Goodwood monitor. I passed after packing the exhaust with steel wool which blew out cleanly on the practise lap. No way my car was at anything near 110db. Attempts to discuss the accuracy of their monitor was, as we might say, not well received. Hope for a bit better reception this year and bringing along lots of steel wool.

Peter Fenichel
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2009 :  14:31:26  Show Profile
So any top tips Peter. This is my first outing on a circuit and its a lot quicker than the usual hills and sprints. It will be the first time this season that I actually reach top! Do we brake anywhere other than the chicane

Edited by - Dolts on 16/10/2009 14:32:02
Go to Top of Page

peterfenichel

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2009 :  15:53:21  Show Profile
What car do you have... although I'm sure you will be using your brakes no matter which car you are entering. Goodwood is fast and not really a pre-war track so care is required not to over-cook what looks like an easy apex or flowing turn. Good track though. Suggest you look at one of the track guides or have a read of mine in the morning next Saturday. I'm car number 48.
Hardest bit for me is getting past the noise guys! And pray for warmish sunny weather please.

Peter Fenichel
Go to Top of Page

ajc

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2009 :  20:24:33  Show Profile
I am praying.....Car L Type with 1271cc supercharged - No. 55; and not just for the weather either........I am down as an L2, though incorrect....though typically bonnet strap breaks today....age related......knew i should have got one when i asked a while ago......

Edited by - ajc on 17/10/2009 20:46:07
Go to Top of Page

ajc

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2009 :  09:32:35  Show Profile
Goodwood Circuit Guides

http://www.shropmog.co.uk/guidegoodwood.htm

http://www.easytrack.co.uk/guides/goodwood.asp

Though I suggest PF's guide is rather more appropriate for MGs..

Opps, forgot we can now post images here.....

Anyway just for info for those interested....

Edited by - ajc on 18/10/2009 10:52:02
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  08:03:48  Show Profile
Thanks Peter, might pop over and have a chat first thing. Im in No.19 MG PB.

Look forward to meeting you Adrian, looking good.

Mark Dolton
Go to Top of Page

peterfenichel

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  15:32:08  Show Profile
I'm car 48 on Saturday... happy to meet up first thing as my circuit guide is way better; with breaking points, turning points and other tips but no substitute for actually getting around the track itself. I gather from the final instructions that there is an optional convoy run behind the course car at 9am which I would encourage you to do if you've not been around Goodwood before. Stately procession but instructive nonetheless.
Here is hoping for good weather and a bit warmer so my car will at least start... doesn't like the cold!

Peter Fenichel
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  15:56:12  Show Profile
Agree on the weather, my excelsiors really dont work in the wet!! Another change over the winter. Yes the PB is struggling to fire in the cold weather, new plugs in yesterday that helped. I ll certainly be doing the convoy especially as I have to sign on at 7;45am!!!! And I ll definately come a read your notes, many thanks. Mark

Mark Dolton
Go to Top of Page

ajc

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2009 :  22:25:32  Show Profile
Interesting chat today with someone re eligibility, reckons i should be in modified rather than specials, though who knows.....? Car original except engine from diff MG car and new rear body....reckons i can (politely) argue to be in modified.......not sure, dont really mind, not a pot hunter, just after some (safe) fun....and get out there.

Will find out saturday what i really am....having the Inspection....

Edited by - ajc on 21/10/2009 22:27:40
Go to Top of Page

peterfenichel

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2009 :  14:49:24  Show Profile
Remind me Saturday to share with you a copy of the letter I've just written to the VSCC questioning my classification as a Special (in spite of running that way for several years now). The re-written eligibility rules "Eligibility of Cars, Edition 3, 2007" worth a very careful read. Also with the 2008 "Set" for standard and modified cars (via efforts from John Guyatt) there has been several cases of re-assessment from "Special" which really should be the class for cars significantly enhanced from original in terms of performance.

Peter Fenichel
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2009 :  15:52:07  Show Profile
That would be interesting, I ve always wondered what makes mine modified. Is it the super charger? or cyclo winged body? never really thought to ask! See you Sat. Weather looking a little bleak

Mark Dolton
Go to Top of Page

peterfenichel

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2009 :  17:10:19  Show Profile
Looking at the 2007 Eligibility paper more carefully it is the Engine, Gearbox, Back Axle, Front Axle and Chassis that are relevent (largely) although there are Appendix entries for Superchargers and Tyres/Wheels. The full Buff Form also covers body, etc. but doubt they are really material. I'm generalising but if the bits are original to the car/model you are Standard, if "of an original type" you are modified and if you are "appropriate to the period" (read the 'larger gearbox was available in period but never put on your car') you are Special. The Club also has the flexibility to move you around in classes if you are too fast, i.e. the performance of your car is way better than it should be. I suppose logic says they could also put you in a slower class if you are slower but confess I've never seen that done!

Peter Fenichel
Go to Top of Page

ajc

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2009 :  18:09:45  Show Profile
Very interesting, will do, thanks all - all wired up and ready to go, just missing the catch tank hose that was on the wall.....another trip to the marina beckons......i reckon if am a snail they must surely put me down........we will see .....glad to be keeping the EC busy for you saturday...did spy a nut today that i must change at some point for a castle jobby.....
edit

opps, found another nyloc.....looks rusty so must be pre-war....

Edited by - ajc on 23/10/2009 18:39:45
Go to Top of Page

ajc

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2009 :  20:35:30  Show Profile
Good to meet names and place faces, a most enjoyable and amusing day out in the rain, track dried enough by end of day to get some proper running....car all ok, so looking good for a winter fettle to rid myself of the odd rattle and sort out the blower.....great first proper shakedown and look forward to next seasons entertainment in it.

Day started in full rain, then spray, then misty rain, then horizontal then full sun..all driving experiences catered for .....

Edited by - ajc on 24/10/2009 20:35:52
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2009 :  08:00:00  Show Profile
As per Adrians comments, Fantastic to see a good strong Triple M entry and so many other club members out in force. It was great to meet our sister car and owner Graham Holdsworth, PB0602. ( ours being PB601). Looking fwd to the photo Graham.

The conditions were certainly challenging, a real eye opener trying to figure out the huge slides around goodwood. One large spin at the chicane on my first run ended up parked next to a very nice Marigold bush facing the wrong way on the wrong side of the circuit! I now know rumble strips are not our friends!

Anyway a great learning curve and a fantastic way to finish the season. Thanks to all that have supported and assisted through the year. Many thanks

Mark Dolton

Edited by - Dolts on 26/10/2009 08:00:29
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000