Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Selling my PA
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  17:10:48  Show Profile
It is with regret that I have decided to sell my PA, I have not put it on cars for sale as I would ruther discuss it with anyone who may be interested. My reason for selling is that my wife has no interest in the MG what so ever, I was hopeing that once finished she would show some interest but sadly not, so I find that my use gets limited i would enjoy the car far more if Rene was involved but she is not so I have to accept that. As meny of you know the car had a body off resteration some 3 years ago, I have bills for some £40K which included a Tom Dark built super charged PB engine at a cost of some £16K, and a preselecter Gear box also rebuilt by Tom Dark (£6k)
I do not need the money so don't think you will steal off of me for a song! I will haggle at about £25 grand upwards!! Valued at £33K for insurance by the MG club (before the gearbox was fitted)

Rodney

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  21:20:59  Show Profile
Rodney

Very sorry to hear that you are selling your P. I appreciate your reasons for selling but it is sad that you will no longer be a member of the MMM clan, especially as you have been a very active on the forum.

Good luck with the sale. Make sure that the buyer is going to use the car not just store it in a heated garage. After all that you have invested (time and money) in it, it deserves to be used.

Have fun, Peter
Go to Top of Page

Gene

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  14:52:53  Show Profile
Rodney: I had a similiar situation with my wife after my car became roadworthy. On the first long trip she said she felt "unsafe" and uncomfortable. I found, purchased, and refurbished another car, an early post-war sports car that she liked and felt more comfortable in and it was a marque I had always admired, keeping me happy as well. So I kept the pre-war car to myself, sharing it on journeys with friends, and reserved the early post-war car for travel with my wife.This worked for us, and perhaps a similiar arrangement would work for you thus allowing you to keep your car. Best wishes, Gene.

Gene
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  23:59:02  Show Profile
Rodney, I assume there are more benefits in keeping the wife?!

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

Bob Clare

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  00:01:59  Show Profile
"I'm never going on a trip in that car again. It's too uncomfortable, to wet and I can't take a decent amount of luggage!"

Thus said Amanda in 1998 after one of Philip Bayne-Powell's "Normandy Raids".

Solution:-

I bought the remains of the NB Cresta and an MGF.

I can't claim that she's really delighted at either prospect when I'm driving, but that's another story.

So perhaps an N Type and an RV8 mught solve your problem and keep the Triple-M grin on your face?

Bob Clare
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  09:55:21  Show Profile
Hi Rodney,

Sorry to hear of your situation. Over the years I have driven many other Triple-M cars, the first year or so there is a ôsettlingö in period. Many people adjust their Hartfords up far too tight which is fine for a track racing car but does not give a nice compliant ride for the road!!! If you feel like a trip down to my place in the P type we can try each otherÆs cars and see if there is any differenceà. Regardsà. Terry
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  10:09:44  Show Profile
I like some of your ideas, however I am considering Richards posting closely! Sadly I simply do not have room with 4 cars and a vito van to run (my daughters band van)space is at a premium, and no I am not moving! I think I would not have to considder Richards comment, as a further purchase would spell the end of what has proved to be a very good choice of house keeper mother gardener dog carer ferret looker after ( when the daughter is away)cook cleaner and lover (well used to be) So you see I have no way to turn. I spend a lot of time riding my push bike both home and abroad which is a life long passion so while I am still active enough to enjoy riding across France etc. I find it impossible to say to my keeper "i'm off for a long weekend in the PA". By the way my keeper calls it an MG she has no idea that it is a PA, I had a phone call when I was out from an interested party who said, "Rodney is selling his PA", she had no idea what he was talking about and thought I was sell my PA, (personal assistant)! Rodney
Go to Top of Page

John Haine

United Kingdom
208 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  10:18:38  Show Profile
I must be really lucky! Although my wife is not greatly enamoured of my M-Type (ôthat bloody little carö) she does usually accompany me on trips involving decent hotels, lunches,dinners and great company, such as Flat Cap & Whippet, Exmoor Rut, Dieppe Retro etc. She does not do camping at Silverstone or recent trip to watch VSCC Sprint in the rain. I bought the car in 1962, four years before we met and married (Love me, love my car), but she was spared for 25 years when it was on blocks. The first long trip she took was one of the Normandy raids. I got over the luggage problem by leaving the spare wheel at home, but didnÆt share that information. I now have a boot-mounted luggage rack, so can take spare wheel nowadays. The fact is they donÆt like anything that takes your attention off them, not just cars, but boats, computers etc., etc. DonÆt give up! John
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  10:59:13  Show Profile
Mrs J originally decreed that she would not travel further than 40 miles in the PB. Well, the trips got longer and longer and included one to Normandy. The longest so far was coming back from Harrogate (250 miles?) in a day.

This year's 'T' Weekend to Dartmoor was really "just down the road" (130 miles) and when she asked where next year's 'T' Weekend is being held and I said "Llandrindod Wells" she asked "How far is that?". When I replied "About 90 miles" she said "Oh that's not far!"

Mid you, it does help to have an overdrive..........
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  00:28:36  Show Profile
Well today was the day when my PA was driven by me for the last time, driving a prospective buyer round the Norfolk lanes was a bit sad. However he liked the car very much,I was pleased he did because he drove all the way from Lyon and brought a friend as interpreter so I was please that he bought the car and it was not a wasted trip for him. So My PA will now live in France where the roads are better and the weather will be warmer. Lucky PA!

Rodney

Edited by - Rodney Collins on 22/11/2009 00:32:13
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  12:05:14  Show Profile
Hi Rodney,

The new owner is very please with the car as he and Stefaan (the interpreter) called in to see me on the way back to the Channel Tunnel. Stefaan is a prime mover in Triple-M circles in Europe. He runs, for the Europeans, a Triple-M workshop every year and Stefaan was awarded the ôJohn Kidderö award by the Triple-M committee. There is a growing group of French getting involved in Triple-M cars and I have meet some of these on these events and at ôClassicö Le Mansö. I can assure you your car has gone to a good home. I will to meet up with them again in March and the Triple-M social touring event being arranged in Belgium in May. Just a pity you wife did not like Triple-M motoring and you could have been part of this. Sorry to see you leave the Triple-M scene.

Regardsà. Terry
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  12:22:46  Show Profile
Hi Terry
Stefaan had a ride in the car and said that if Andre did not buy it he would! I was pleased they bought it because not only had they come a long way but i took to them as people and it's nice to see somethimg that you have put a lot of time an effort into go to a good home.

Rodney
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  09:07:08  Show Profile
Rodney

Pleased to hear that your PA has gone to a good home and will be used and enjoyed by it's new owner. Great shame however that it has gone out of the country. But with the Euro at 1.11 to the ú, it is not surprising.

So to enjoy the country lanes in future, it will be a case of 'on yer bike lad'.

Have fun, Peter
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  14:24:10  Show Profile
Hi Peter,

I do realize lots of proper cars leave the island which is indeed a shame, because you will probably never see them again. However, if the car went to someone who is close to "Stefaan's group", the car will probably be 'back home' a lot for all of you to see, perhaps more so than most cars that are still at home leave their comfy sheds ...
No worries, us Europeans do look after your feelings and your cars !

Cheers,
Cathelijne Spoelstra
Go to Top of Page

ht1962

Netherlands
114 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  14:37:38  Show Profile
Hello Rodney,

If you should need a bike to enjoy your country lanes, we have plenty for sale over here.
Just contact Cathelijne and she will sort you out

Regards,
Halbe

Edited by - ht1962 on 23/11/2009 14:59:08
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  16:39:28  Show Profile
Hi All one thing I don't need is another bike I have 4 My dads 1970 fix wheel winter bike my Cervelo carbon road bike My Obea carbon off road bike and my fixed static trainer. I could be tempted into a penny f, no i will stop myself there.

I will of course keep reading these pages and I will if necessary or I have the knowlage put in my two penny worth so you won't loose me altogether.

Rodney
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000