Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J2 Dashboard
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

David R

United Kingdom
289 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2009 :  19:11:21  Show Profile
Does anyone know of an engineering firm in the North-East or North of England who could re- engine turn my J2 dashboard? The original turning has been almost entirely polished out,although it is still clearly visible under the instrument bezels. I also have a drawing which shows the relevant mop size and pattern.

Ross Kelly

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  02:58:53  Show Profile
David,

One of the few mechanical skills I have found that I possess is to "engine turn" dashes and for a few friends number plate mounts. The essentials are a turned down valve to correct diameter, a hot glue gun, scott brite scrubbers punched to diameter of valve which are glued to the valve surface, chain saw chain oil, drill press, clamps and timber lengths.

I then drill two pieces of timber with holes at the half diameter of valve so that I will have 50% overlap. Position these either side of the drill press so that they are parallel to the sides of the aluminium. I use this to give parallel straight lines across the sheet, the vertical lines are not as critical as the instruments tend to break the surface. A third piece of timber is marked with pen at same interval and used as the guide to control the location of the drill across the sheet. With all in place,the sheet is sprayed with chain oil and the drill lightly touched down on the surface. The sheet then moved across and process repeated. The scotchbrite will last some time if using oil as against valve grinding paste etc. Resist cleaning until several rows have been done.

The hardest part is when the sheet has to be turned so that all can be completed if using a smaller drill press.

If you are interested I can make a few sketches which may help to explain a little better.

Alternately I believe that any of the MMM supplier may have ET dashes available.

best wishes

Ross Kelly

grkelly@bigpond.net.au
Go to Top of Page

David R

United Kingdom
289 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2009 :  14:52:40  Show Profile
Ross
Thanks very much for your reply.Pity you are not nearer!
I was hoping to avoid doing the job myself,as I have quite enough car related things to do this winter.
I know I can get a replacement dashboard,but they are not particularly cheap and I would like mine refurbished as I think it is original and fits well and has one or 2 extra holes for additional switches etc.
If I do decide to have a go myself I will come back to you for further advice,if I may.
Many thanks
David
Go to Top of Page

gsrun

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2009 :  23:49:20  Show Profile
David,

I tried to e-mail you directly a few days ago but may not have been successful!
I have done the engine turning exercise on my dash quite recently - made up a jig and purchased an 'engine turning' kit (which is basically just a bit easier than scotchbrite stuck to a valve or similar)- and the result is excellent!
I am based in Glasgow but may be in the Borders area in the next week or so and perhaps could arrange to let you see my dash or offer you any assistance I can - feel free to contact me at gsrun@rocketmail.com
Graham R
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000