Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Aqua Blasting
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  13:05:58  Show Profile
Hi All,

Just had my PB valve cover Aqua blasted, thought that you might like to see the result, assuming that you have not already seen this type blasting.

Russ
PB0333

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3237 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  17:41:21  Show Profile
Hi Russ

Looks very smart - now is the rest of the car up to the same standard!

Regards George
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  23:10:18  Show Profile
Russ,

Thanks for that. I often use Honite glass bead in a Guyson blaster. This is a dry process and gives a similar appearance/sheen to that shown in your photo. Like aquablasting, there is no dimensional change in the component so it can be used safely on critical items.

John R
Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  15:48:54  Show Profile
Hi George,

I am trying,I have pics on Flikr, register and look at MG PB photos
my car was a true basket case, however its being reconstructed "we have the technology"!

Russ
PB0333
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  20:27:46  Show Profile
Be carefull Be very Carefull water can cut throught six inch steel like a hot knife through butter. But I must say it does look good.

Rodney

Edited by - Rodney Collins on 02/12/2009 20:29:19
Go to Top of Page

RacingSnake

United Kingdom
62 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  22:20:13  Show Profile
^Aqua-blasting/ Vapour-blasting is quite different to waterjet cutting (which would cut through steel quite happily), so no real danger in using the OP's method to clean items.
Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  10:40:26  Show Profile
Suggest if anyone is interested look at the web site www.ccaquablasting.com or Google a another company called "I Cleanze Machinze" dont blame me thats the name of the company in West Norwood, London.

Plenty of examples of Aqua blasting of delicate alloy components.

Russ
Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  17:35:00  Show Profile
Hi Sam,

I understand your comment, however the reason that I adopted this type of finish was that the alloy was surface corroded at one end and the Octagonal filler cap has deepish pits in it, as the vehicle had been exposed to the elements for some years so all alloy components has suffered.

As polishing is not my favourite pastime I have gone for a quick and easy method.

Aqua blasting does not take out gashes and scrapes however it does improve the aged alloy.

I reckon that Ali paint would soon look poor and oil stained.

Only time will tell me if this was a good move or not and I guess that I could still polish the cover if it really does'nt age well.
Regards

Russ
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  18:17:00  Show Profile
Sam,

A valid point but like Russ I had several alloy parts which were quite severely corroded and would not respond to polishing. The glass bead treatment leaves what I agree is an inappropriate surface, but the trick is then to hand polish in the usual way with say Solvol Autosol, use the car as often as possible including entering the Kimber Trial (!), and you will find the patina will gradually return.

John R
Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  09:10:53  Show Profile
Hi Guys,

Just to put our discussion into perspective, heres a pic of my car when I bought it. (I will not be preseving its "patina")

As John points out our restored cars will only develop the patina when used for some time and pick up the scuffs and bruises that will develope with use.

Russ
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  09:13:03  Show Profile
Sam,
Agreed that preserving/conserving originality is the priority where possible.
John R

Edited by - John Reid on 04/12/2009 09:15:29
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  20:14:01  Show Profile
I used to polish alloy with Verious polishes such a mentioned above (solvo autosol) etc. until someone pointed out the benefit of using wire wool from a rough grade to the very finist the finish is better than any polish and take 10th of the time. By the way I was only joking about water cutting through steel, i do realise that aqua blasting is somewhat more gentle than water jet cutting! DOH

Rodney

Edited by - Rodney Collins on 04/12/2009 20:17:29
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  20:56:58  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dade

Hi Guys,

Just to put our discussion into perspective, heres a pic of my car when I bought it. (I will not be preseving its "patina")

As John points out our restored cars will only develop the patina when used for some time and pick up the scuffs and bruises that will develope with use.

Russ

Plenty of patina there, Russ! A bit too much, I'd say.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000