Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Registration numbers
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Wyn Lewis

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  14:38:05  Show Profile
Hi All, I'm new to the forum having purchased a J2 this week.

The car was purchased in France and I got an MOT this week, I have now applied for UK registration. DVLA tell me that they will almost certainly issue the original reg number. In normal circumstances I would like this but it is two letters and four numbers. Because of personal preference, I would like a number that has three letters followed by three numbers but don't know how to go about this. Lets assume DVLA will now issued the original number, I will need to purchase a number and have it transferred. How do I look for a number that (I assume) is pre 1934? I have seen a photo of a member's car with a 1960's A plate, which was approx 1962 I think, how can this happen or am I getting something wrong?
Any advice on how I can get a 3 and 3 number would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Wyn

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  18:29:49  Show Profile

The loss of the car's original number, in my experience, may well diminish the value of the J2 when you put it in the market in the fulness of time.

It will also make it more difficult for you or any subsequent owner to find the car's history.

Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  23:00:39  Show Profile
Welcome Wyn to the Triple-M world.

The situation, the way I understand it, (but Bob Clare may wish to comment) is as follows:

When the old log books were changed to V5Ęs people with old cars that were off the road or being restored had a period of time to inform the DVLA that the car still existed even if it had not been taxed for many years. So these cars could have their registration numbers as informed to DVLA. These cars when road worthy tax and insured could transfer their Registration number as the current system.

After the cut off date (which I cannot remember but in the late 1970Ęs) If you wish to inform DVLA of a car without a V5 this could be done. Sometimes an inspection was required along with the old brown or green log book. In these cases the original number you were claiming would be granted BUT IT IS NON TRANSFERABLE. This stays with the vehicle for all time. Thus, I have cars that I can transfer the number (but would not) and others which are non transferable.

When a vehicles like ours are exported the DVLA retain the number as the vehicle may return back to the UK. This is seen a lot with the changes of currency rates mainly between the UK, Europe and the USA. Thus the DVLA may well have your UK J2 registration held on retention and will reallocate this back to your vehicle. What I am not certain is if they will then make the Registration number as Non Transferable. I think this is very likely, so that you may not be able to change it to a 3 alpha 3 numerical away from your carĘs original format.

Or do others know different?

Finally, it would be my advice not to change from the original number. If you get a V5 from DVLA which does not say Non Transferable then the 2 alpha 4 numerical number would be worth more money to a number plate dealer than what you want, plus there is a DVLA transfer chargeą.. Do not do it!

Regardsą. Terry
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  00:06:37  Show Profile
Wyn,

I am surprised that you have seen an ęA plateĘ on a Triple-M car because the DVLA will not allow a year related Registration Number to be used on a car of an older age than the number, they will however let them be used on a younger car. The reason being that a car can not be made to appear younger than it actually is.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

Wyn Lewis

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  05:55:29  Show Profile
Thanks guys for your advice and welcome to the forum. If I get the original number back (as I have sent DVLA the original log book), I will keep this. With regards the car I saw with the 'A' plate, this is J3130 on the members cars picture site (my new toy is 4307). Looking at the picture though, it may be the other side of the pond!.

Wyn

Edited by - Wyn Lewis on 13/12/2009 06:04:25
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  14:34:45  Show Profile
Hi Wyn
Looking at the picture I would guess it was taken in Florida where you can put any number you like on the front of the car as front number plates are not used here. The original UK registration was 1980 BJ.
Nick

The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  16:55:58  Show Profile
Nick
I think you are a little wrong with saying that the original number was 1980BJ - numbers before letters did not appear until quite a time after the war - could it have been BJ1980? or the car has had some "new" registration added sometime after it was new - if you see what I mean
It could also have been some dealers [very] old unsold car stock!!! - you know - found in the back of the workshop after the war under a load of rubbish!!!
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  17:46:33  Show Profile
Friday was a sad day as my PA left for Lyon in France with it's new owner. The registration no MG 4124 I have decided will go back to DVLA so if ever she comes back to these shores she will carry her original Reg No. Wyn should bear in mind that most T MMM's have 2 letters 4 numbers. I think wyn is trying to be to asthetic!

Rodney
Go to Top of Page

Wyn Lewis

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  17:50:19  Show Profile
Rodney is correct!! but I had my reasons which I did not mention and have now dismissed. If DVLA issue me with the original reg no, I will be more than happy to put it on the car.

Regards
Wyn
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  18:04:36  Show Profile
Wyn, my apologies, 1980 BJ was the engine number. There is no registration number recorded.
Nick

The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Clare

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  19:40:18  Show Profile
Hello Wyn,

Phew, that's a relief!! I was just gearing up to e-mail you about all the excellent reasons for NOT sacrificing the originality of any Triple-M car, least of all it's road registration. We've seen really fine pre-war cars with "age related plates" issued by DVLA because some previous owner has retained the original plate and put it on a Land Rover/BMW/Mondeo or whatever. I quiver with GRRRRR every time I see that.

Well done for revising your intentions and I hope J 4307 gives you lots of fun.

I'll be e-mailing you direct with our usual welcome message etc.

Kind regards.
Bob Clare
Triple-M Registrar
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  22:40:23  Show Profile
Some trivial but related info which may be of interest. DVLA no longer have age related plates available for our MMM vehicles. At best they will issue 3 letter 3 digit but these numbers are actually representative of 1950s to 1960s numbers which were unallocated at the time and tend to be Scottish or Irish combinations with nasty letters like Z's and X's etc.

Two letter and 4 digit age related plates plates will only be allocated to cars of c. 1931 and before. Again, they contain nasty letters. We were faced with the same issue a couple of years ago and went down the route of purchasing one off Ebay instead which originally belonged to a vintage motorcycle. The rules have been relaxed now in being able to transfer a number from a bike to a car

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2009 :  09:36:58  Show Profile
And what a coincidence: A car on its way to France sends another in return. That must satify some of us at least a bit !

Cheers,
Cathelijne Spoelstra
Go to Top of Page

Mark Sellick

United Kingdom
56 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2009 :  13:10:44  Show Profile
Careful Rich!
Quite a few MGs were originally registered in N Ireland and carry their original numbers containing "nasty" letters! My TC was reg'd in Belfast in 1946 and includes a "Z" in its 2-letter 4-digit number!
Cheers,
Mark
Go to Top of Page

Bills

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2009 :  19:31:51  Show Profile
What I would like for Christmas please is the original registration number for my J2. Was registered in Liverpool originally, and when the owner took it abroad in the late 30s the number was lost.

Now has a 'nasty' X but it is still an MG.

Must admit the number plate looks better for having white painted numbers on a black background - which took quite a few goes to get right.

If anyone has a 1933 number for sale - cheap - would love to hear from you!!

rgds Bill J4170
Go to Top of Page

mgptype

United Kingdom
709 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2009 :  20:25:49  Show Profile
When I first registered my PA I was given a age related plate with a nasty X in it but a friend of mine was going through a messy divorce at the time and he gave me a very nice valuable plate that he had on retention. His ex wife wanted to sell it and as she had already fleeced him he had it transfered to my car. Wasn't I lucky.
But I still would have liked the original registration number..

Fred..

Edited by - mgptype on 14/12/2009 20:47:58
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000