Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Registration numbers
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2009 :  22:25:30  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Hardy

Some trivial but related info which may be of interest. DVLA no longer have age related plates available for our MMM vehicles. At best they will issue 3 letter 3 digit but these numbers are actually representative of 1950s to 1960s numbers which were unallocated at the time and tend to be Scottish or Irish combinations with nasty letters like Z's and X's etc.

Rich

Vintage MG Parts

Hey all, I m quite confused. We have CLX112 on our PB, having just recieved the factory records this seems to be the orginal reg from 1936 service records etc. Therefore what is nasty about an "x" or 3 letters and three numbers? 1st owner was from Richmond, I thought LX was London.

Mark Dolton

Edited by - Dolts on 14/12/2009 22:36:37
Go to Top of Page

mgptype

United Kingdom
709 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2009 :  22:45:55  Show Profile
Mark,

When I was issued with an age related plate it had three numbers followed by three letters starting with a X and it looked out of place and was also non transferable, but as I had no papers I had no option but to have it issued to the car. My car was a demonstrator for Cresta Motors but sadly there are no records of the old registration.

As yours has three letters followed by three numbers it will look right but will look terrible the other way around.

Fred...
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2009 :  23:06:53  Show Profile
Apologies Mark. There are clearly right places for Z's and X's to be on MGs but not MMMs with nasty 1960s registration re-allocations. That sounds a little better!!!

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2009 :  07:31:20  Show Profile
ah ok. we had originally thought the number had been allocated in the 80's when nigel musselwhite registered it as a box of rusty bits just prior to us taking it on. nice to see it is actually the original reg but there is no history between then and 1936 although I ve started searching. thanks

Mark Dolton
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2009 :  17:01:20  Show Profile
Of course there are Rich! Wasn't the J2 press demonstrator "RX ++++"? Also a bit later there were the works MGAs "MRX +++"
Cheers & a Happy Chistmas & New Year to all readers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Ron Grant

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2009 :  17:19:35  Show Profile
Gents,
The first C types were registered RX...., so there is nothing wrong or out of place by having an X in your registration, they were certainly that way in 1931.
Ron Grant
Go to Top of Page

F0355

South Africa
298 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2009 :  17:57:01  Show Profile
RX.....M Types too.

Peter Steyn
Johannesburg, RSA

Edited by - F0355 on 17/12/2009 13:39:57
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2009 :  13:29:57  Show Profile
What's the DVLC's attitude to re-registering a car where the log book has been lost but there are a number of tax discs from the 1950s and 60s clearly showing the original registration and 'photos from the same era?

Happy Christmas Jan T
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2009 :  15:47:56  Show Profile
Jan,

I have been told (but do not know for certain) that the DVLA will accept them, which I think is a bit odd because neither a tax disc or a photo are tied to a chassis number.

Peter.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2009 :  11:48:31  Show Profile
Herewith some material on this, formulated over forty or so years.

Do not oversimplify what the DVLA will accept or not. It is a very reasonable organisation, though sometimes seemingly remote or illogical to the enthusiast. See their websites for the amount of information available to you about a given vehicle.

Besides the honest people who would love to get back their car's original number, they also have to deal with people, some of them in our old-car world, trying to claim vehicle identities for rather more dishonest purposes.

Neither the car itself, photographs either period or modern, tax discs, a chassis stamping or an old RF.60 'log book' are 'acceptable' IN ISOLATION as evidence that a particular number should be re-allocated. None of these, by themselves, are concrete evidence, of course, since all may be bogus or be used in a misleading way. For example, I have photos of 'M'-type RX 5---, a '30's competition car which may, alas, not be around today. I could easily attempt to re-stamp a chassis, fake a tax-disc and so on....

Firstly, the number is only allocated to a vehicle by the DVLA. The number is not the car's or the owner's property and may be withdrawn at any time if, for instance, the vehicle's details are found to be bogus.
This has happened - as well as other penalties - where an early number has been used as part of a pretence that a modern vehicle is an 'historic' one in order to avoid road tax, where the owners of the two halves of a car both want the number or where an historic vehicle is being used on a V5C not belonging to it, a circumstance which has turned up more than once in my professional life.

Remember that, as late as the early 'seventies, it was still possible to get a 'green log book' by asking at the County office armed with just a note of the vehicle's type and numbers.

DO check that the details of all of this are correct BEFORE you buy a car. I have personally viewed a MMM on open sale where none of its sets of seemingly authentic papers were related in any way to any physical number or particular of the car. (Yes, Bob Clare was notified.)

The DVLA requires sufficient evidence that a period number should be re-allocated and the evidence cited above will form part of a package which may require an authentication from the old County records, where they still exist, a statement from an authorised Club expert - who, if wise, will have viewed the vehicle - which may rely on manufacturer's records where these cite the car's original numbers and, increasingly nowadays, an inspection at a DVLA Centre.

If your car satisfies their criteria - and the process often involves a modicum of luck - the period number will be re-allocated as a 'non-transferable' number. You may find it easier to engage one of the well-known 'experts' to guide you through the maze, though any of the larger DVLA offices will give guidance if approached by 'phone or in person.

Incidentally, there was a time in the '80s when the original number was never re-allocated to the vehicle but an age-related one given instead. My V?lo-Solex XMV 13G, despite having every paper and document since new, ended up as THA 932G. These numbers can now, apparently, be changed back.

Like a good lawyer, ( 'Sir, I can say nothing against the man save that he is a lawyer'-Samuel Johnson. ) build your case carefully before giving it a go.

The above is given as a private individual, without any guarantee as to correctness. Bob.

Go to Top of Page

George Wilder

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2009 :  17:43:51  Show Profile
Hardly surprising that some Triple M cars and others had RX registrations including some "Moderns".
RX was one of the registrations that the Berkshire County Council was allocated to issue.
Where was Abingdon in those days - well in Berkshire. So any car registered by the factory would use a Berkshire registration.
Historian to C 0256 registration RX 8591.
George
PS Abingdon was placed in Oxfordshire for adminstrative purposes sometime in the late 70s early 80s just as the DVLA was being formed.
Go to Top of Page

Wyn Lewis

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2009 :  14:42:26  Show Profile
Interesting posts, thanks, they changed my feelings completely. I have the Dutch import document, original log book and the chassis number on the engine cover all ties up, this does not seem to be enough. I have no wish to have a 50's or 60's number plate that sticks out like a sore thumb and wish I could discuss this with someone.I would have been happy to accept a period number but have now decided not to register the car at all. Some people may question why buy the car if you can't drive it but sometimes you feel that you are swimming against the tide and that's exactly how I feel right now and feel too disillusioned to bother. Can anyone assist in advising me where I stand legally should the car remain unregistered for a substantial period of time as I have no idea. I may try DVLA in the hope that they may be of assistance.

Thanks
Wyn

Edited by - Wyn Lewis on 23/12/2009 13:03:13
Go to Top of Page

phil

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2009 :  15:53:01  Show Profile
Hey, if it helps sooth. all my chassis numbers engine etc matched. after a lot of bother, i finaly got the PB regd and taxed. Then I got a letter demanding inspection, having not done more than 7 miles at a time, I was not doing the 40mile probably rain soaked journey.
Tax ran out, no reminder, no sorn, yet showed as taxed on dvla's website. After 2 months of messing about, I got a form of apology !!!!!!!!!!
And now am the proud owner of 5 logbooks!!!!!!!!!!!
now if only i could afford another chassis or 4!

Good luck
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2009 :  17:09:38  Show Profile
Wyn
I assume that your car has French or Dutch registration plates - in which case I am sure thst you can run for at least 6 months on those.
If you don't tell the DVLC you could run it for much longer - there are Polish registerd cars running about our area that I have been seeing for a very long time.
Don't know how your insurance company will view foreign plates, however - there must be some one using this forum who has a definitive answer.
You could, of course buy a 2letter4number plate from one of the many plate selling companies - but at a cost
Please do not give up on the car - they give so much pleasure and fun [and grief] to their owners and to the general public
Tony
Go to Top of Page

Bills

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2009 :  18:31:10  Show Profile
Wyn, I imported my car from the America, thinking from the description that I could drive it (at least on to a trailer) and get it to an mot station straight away - very wrong!

So it took a partial engine rebuild, re-wire etc etc etc, which took quite a few months to complete. When I checked with DVLA they said they were not concerned until it was in a position to be registered. The main problem was I could not insure it easily.

Currently my J2 is on a 60s plate, which i really do not like, but the car is really fun to drive so on balance pleasure 95% disappointment 5%, and I am looking out for a Liverpool registration to suit when I get the cash - trouble is I tend to spend it on the car anyway as loads still to do.

I would recommend you get it on the road whatever and then decide what to do next.

Best of luck with the car, Bill
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000