Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Registration numbers
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  09:35:13  Show Profile
AS I understand it the DVLA will reregister a "lost" car providing its age can be proved and it has a MOT. If documentation can be provided confirming the original registration this will be reissued otherwise it is an age realated plate. I have spoken to John Innes and Bob Clare and the club is able to provide the age of the car if the chassis stampings are authentic. Now the confusion starts. I wonder what the Kwik Fit mechanic's reaction will be when I turn up for the MOT with no number plates, and I hope the trafic police are in the station doing their paper work when I take to the road. I also thought that MOTs had to be pre booked these days through a computer system linked to the DVLA and the car's registration number.

Has the procedure for reregistering an old car been documented - in simple terms

Happy Christmas to all

Jan T
Go to Top of Page

Wyn Lewis

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  09:57:03  Show Profile
With regards MOT, I got mine no problem, a few heads were scratched and phone calls made to the relevant authority but the MOT certificate bears the chassis number and French registration number as displayed on the car and documents at the time. This is a reputable garage and would not have issued my MOT unless OK do do so. Had I taken the registration numbers off the car before hand, who knows. I have a shuttle trailer and of course I have not driven it on UK roads yet.
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  11:34:19  Show Profile
Having read through some of the remarks in this thread, I am beguining to wonder where MG 4124 will end up! In a DVLA auction maybe. Perhaps I should have kept it on retention.

Rodney
Go to Top of Page

peterfenichel

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  12:40:21  Show Profile
My understanding and I think the DVLA website says this... that cars are permitted on the public road without registration or road tax IF they are travelling for the sole purpose of going to or returning from an MOT appointment. I recall a few years ago when I had the MOT done on my J1 I was told to simply carry the MOT appointment notice with me. Also note, you do need insurance at all times so need that in place also as the new MOT computer checks insurance certificates/cover automatically... not sure how that works without a Reg number??

Peter Fenichel
Go to Top of Page

George Wilder

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  12:51:06  Show Profile
MoTs without a Registration

It is perfectly legal to arrange a MOT and take the vehicle to the test centre on the road AS long as it is insured even if it is not registered. The problems exist because most MOT stations NEVER come up against this situation and thus advise wrongly. The car does not have to be on the DVLA Register. I have done this with my BSA Motor Cycle.

Reclaiming or seeking an age related registration
Reclaiming a registration or seeking an age related one a vehicle owner should use the DVLA V765 Scheme ( forms and details on the DVLA or Direct Gov websites). The MGCC is one of the clubs which support the scheme.
The MGCC has a procedure for V765 applications (on the club's website) which all the registers use. It is not something that a pesron in the club office can just do. A formal application must be made and the procedure followed. The vehicle will almost certainly inspected (a DVLA requirement) by the register for identication purposes. The Triple Register is well versed in this procedure.

George Wilder
Go to Top of Page

Bills

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  14:16:01  Show Profile
It is correct that you can insure the car and have it moted prior to a reg no. being allocated. Interestingly the insurance company I went with would only give me 2 weeks to complete mot and gain the registration number from DVLA, and, despite me going to DVLA in person, they were on this occasion unable to complete in time, eg arranging an inspection etc. This resulted in the insurance being canceled and the company applying a cancellation fee as I no longer fitted their criteria for their classic car insurance scheme. The whole process took almost a month to complete.

Despite the best help from the club the DVLA will now only issue (in my case for a 1933 car) a plate starting with 3 numbers and three letters which is obviously not correct.

rgds Bill
Go to Top of Page

George Wilder

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  17:00:44  Show Profile
Bill
Are three letters and three numbers in correct for 1933 car? I wonder? It all depends where the vehicle was registered. London for instance had probably finished two letter registration by 1933 and moved on to the three letter series. On the other hand I believe Rutland CC only just finished the FP series and moved to AFP just before the 1965 suffix based system started.

What does look wrong however are three letter series staring with X ie XAB 123 as these are much later and generally post second worlds war.
George
Go to Top of Page

Bills

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  19:12:40  Show Profile
Agreed George, the problem is that DVLA appear to no longer issue registrations starting with letters followed by numbers. So a number such as 123 XUT does not look quite right on a 1933 MG in my view. Rgds Bill
Go to Top of Page

mgptype

United Kingdom
709 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  20:28:45  Show Profile
Bill is correct, I was issued with 995 XUE and did not like at all but I had no option as DVLA told me that they have run out of the three letter / three number type. When I first registered my PA I had no documents and was told that I had to have a VIC done and that I had to take it to DVLA in Ipswich. I told them that I was not going to drive it on the road with no ID to the car so they actually came and inspected the car in my garage, although I had to wait for about 4 weeks for them to do it so don't be put off getting it road leagal, it's worth the trouble and if you don't like what you are issued with you can always buy a registrtion and transfer it.

Fred...
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2009 :  00:10:59  Show Profile
It is worth scanning through the Newsletters of The Federation of British Historical Vehicle Clubs (FBHVC). They can be downloaded as PDF files from their website, www.fbhvc.co.uk and often have useful references and information relating to Registration.
John R
Go to Top of Page

George Wilder

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2009 :  10:10:57  Show Profile
Bill
I should of read your posting (22.12.09 approx 14.16 hrs) more carefully. Of course numbers followed by leters looks wrong on a 33 car. I wonder what happened to all the ones that did not get used as in the Rutland example. I bet the DVLA are sitting on them so sell in due course.
George
Go to Top of Page

Wyn Lewis

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2009 :  13:44:12  Show Profile
Things are looking a little better for me today. I still hope I can get the car back on it's original plates

Merry Christmas to everyone
Wyn
Go to Top of Page

Wyn Lewis

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2010 :  13:49:27  Show Profile
I have today received my J2 Registration Certificate bearing the original registration number and I'm a happy bunny.
I would not have had this success without the sterling effort, understanding and help of our Chairman and Registrar and I thank them for this.

Wyn

Edited by - Wyn Lewis on 22/01/2010 13:53:43
Go to Top of Page

briang

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  14:56:50  Show Profile
What's all this bo***cks about "nasty" numbers - how about getting out a bit more? (preferably driving your MG - from which position the numberplate is not normally visible!)

Brian
Go to Top of Page

Wyn Lewis

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  15:23:57  Show Profile
I assume that was directed at Mark and his posting of 14th December. I tend to agree with Mark. Of course, we all have different opinions, makes life more exciting.

Wyn

Edited by - Wyn Lewis on 25/01/2010 16:18:04
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000