Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Silencer
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Blue M

United Kingdom
1472 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  11:05:52  Show Profile
I am looking into the possibility of reproducing the Vortex silencer fitted as original equipment to M Types and 12/12 cars (for road use). Luckily I have the correct Vortex silencer as a pattern. The insides are quite complicated, being a series of interlocking cones which presumably create vortices to speed up the gases. It would be nice to know what an M Type sounded like originally.

I also have the remains of an original front down-pipe which is quite a bit different from the ones made now.

Would there be any owners out there who are interested in these parts, which will probably be comparatively expensive, or are we all quite happy with what we've got?

Cheers (and a Happy New Year!)

Ian

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  13:02:33  Show Profile
Ian,this sounds really interesting and the contemporary documents seem to confirm that a "Vortex" silencer was the standard fitting.

I bet there are very few Double Twelve Models which still have a "special Solex carburetter" but that is another story.

As always price is the main problem.

I know nothing else sounds like the factory exhaust on an MGB and it would be fascinating to know what the M-type really sounded like when it was new.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 01/01/2010 13:13:25
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  22:11:17  Show Profile
Just by way of illustration here are three views of a genuine Vortex silencer.I wonder if it is the only one surviving.

Pictures courtesy of Ian.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  00:41:19  Show Profile
Perhaps a little more evidence and a really nice picture.

And on the work bench?

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Gordon

United Kingdom
691 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  15:02:31  Show Profile
Sam,
In your last picture with the silencer on the workbench I would suggest that this is not a Vortex unit; at least it has different length to diameter ratio and a different structure with an offset inlet and a lack of circular welds. I suspect that it is a "normal" type of silencer. But as you say a great picture!
Happy New year!
Gordon

Gordon
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  22:46:52  Show Profile
Till I saw the evidence above I would have thought the silencers below were the 'normal' type. The visible weld in Ian's picture of a Vortex silencer is,I suspect,just a much later repair. The silencer on the bench looks short relative to its width because that is how cylinders look end on.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 03/01/2010 00:56:47
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000