Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Exhaust mounting brackets
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2010 :  11:43:35  Show Profile
Peter Down's informative drawing headed 'Nearside pipe clip details' shows a hole for an Exhaust mounting braket which will be just in front of the silencer. Is there not also a similar mounting bracket at the rear of the silencer? This is not shown on Peter's drawing.

Peter

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2010 :  13:52:54  Show Profile
Peter,

Yes there is a mounting bracket at the rear of the silencer (which was originally 30" long). It is similar to the front one but has a slightly longer 'leg' so the mounting hole is higher up the chassis than the front one. The mounting bracket holes are approximately 31.5" apart, the rear one is just past the rear spring mounting cross tube.

Peter's drawing stops just short of where the bracket would be.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1722 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2010 :  17:03:07  Show Profile
I have never seen one of these brackets, though from the shape of my chassis lubrication pipes they were fitted on the outside of the chassis. And how many years have I been driving around without them!!

Were they just a flat strip bent to a right angle?

And didn't someone in the club make make them?

Many thanks

P
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2010 :  19:41:31  Show Profile
Three Peters, this could get confusing

Peter G - Thank you very much for the precise location of the rear mounting hole. I can find it now. That's the good news. The not so good news is that I was 90% of the way to making a rear bracket to the same design as the front one. Now I find that the vertical leg needs to be longer. All part of the fun of owning a MMM

Peter L - If my front bracket is original, then yes it is "JUST a flat strip bent to a right angle". However the flat strip is 1" x 1/4". Just slightly over spec'd

My front one also has a bend in the middle of the horizontal leg with the end pointing slightly downwards.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

mgptype

United Kingdom
709 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2010 :  20:09:16  Show Profile
I have found a couple of pictures showing the two exhaust brackets that I took last year of a PA local to me, may be of interest to others which have them missing. Both my brackets are missing and will help me make new ones.

They clearly show the position of the brackets on the chassis.

Fred...
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2010 :  20:32:21  Show Profile
Peter S,

It sounds as if your front bracket is original as they are made from 1" x 1/4" flat bar with rounded ends. Just for information the brackets I have are bent at 90 degrees like the brackets in Fred's pictures.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2010 :  21:25:54  Show Profile
Fred
Thanks for the pictures, as they say, they are worth a thousand words.

Peter G
Thanks for confirming the precise shape of the brackets. I am never quite sure which parts of my car are original. The exhaust system is definitely not and so I planning to replace it with a new one from S&V later this year. So in preparation, I will straighten the horizontal part of the original front bracket and start again making a new rear bracket.

Peter S
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1564 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2010 :  22:08:33  Show Profile
Fred, I'll second Peter's thanks for the exhaust & mounts...........nice variegated shade of pink on the chassis rail too!

A further question about what was original for the P Type silencer: a single slimish diameter like Fred's or the double diameter that's shown in Peter Down's sketch? -

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2010 :  09:20:10  Show Profile
Bruce

The holes on my P, for the mounting brackets, are, as Peter G stated, 31.5" apart, so it is dificult to see how the silncer in your (or rather Peter number four's) sketch could be mounted as the body is over 32" long.

Peter

PS Could you email me Peter D's sketch. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2010 :  10:14:44  Show Profile
Fred's pictures are indeed very helpful. My car retained it's original brackets and they are identical to those in the pictures.

The silencer type shown in Peter Down's sketch is very interesting, as it would solve the problem I have in my PA as the conventional single cylindrical silencer does foul the cut out in the gearbox undertray. Maybe there is the opportunity for one of our enterprising spares makers to start a new product line?!

Regards
Dick Morbey, PA/B 0743
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2010 :  10:38:39  Show Profile

The PA/PB 'Service Parts List, a Club reprint, shows two systems in part.

One is given as A300, a Burgess silencer which ceased at PA 1967. A different (?) Burgess silencer commenced at chassis PA 1968.

The rear exhaust pipe, which seems to have a second silencer, is 3153, ceasing at PA 2250. Another rear pipe commenced at chassis PB 0251.

The PA had an exhaust note about which the motoring press complained, in their discreet way, when the car was new and those which I have owned certainly follow suit.
PA 0603, equipped with a supposedly suitable single silencer, failed the noise meter at Curborough, having a very robust 'rasp' at road speeds.

A previous query about the best available system to balance noise and power drew almost no response.

Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2010 :  18:19:17  Show Profile
My father has told me that the PA he owned 'in period' i.e. pre-war, had a second silencer. The system in fact crossed to the O/S after the first silencer and the exhaust exited on the drivers side of the car. Presumably a one-off arrangement ?
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2010 :  18:48:41  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Stringfield

The PA/PB 'Service Parts List, a Club reprint, shows two systems in part.

One is given as A300, a Burgess silencer which ceased at PA 1967. A different (?) Burgess silencer commenced at chassis PA 1968.

The rear exhaust pipe, which seems to have a second silencer, is 3153, ceasing at PA 2250. Another rear pipe commenced at chassis PB 0251.

The PA had an exhaust note about which the motoring press complained, in their discreet way, when the car was new and those which I have owned certainly follow suit.
PA 0603, equipped with a supposedly suitable single silencer, failed the noise meter at Curborough, having a very robust 'rasp' at road speeds.

A previous query about the best available system to balance noise and power drew almost no response

The 'different' silencer which commenced with PA 1968 is part number A773 and is the one which is shown in Peter Down's drawing ie it has a smaller diameter at the front than the rear.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Bob Prichard

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2010 :  20:20:20  Show Profile
My exhaust is single diameter 30inches long. I agree with all measurements given. However distance from rear of undertray to front mounting bracket approx 9.5inches. Distance from rear of undertray to front of my silencer box approx 14inches.
This means my silencer is approx 4.5inches to far forward, and means the front pipe is to short and the rear to long.
Comments would be very much appreciated?
Also why is there a long section in the undertray to take the silencer? Fred's pictures seem to show the silencer behing the undertray
All comments very welcome, many thanks Bob
Go to Top of Page

mgptype

United Kingdom
709 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2010 :  21:37:52  Show Profile
Bob,
It looks like the front pipe in the picture has been extended to move the silencer back. I have bought a new exhaust from S&V that has the 30 inch long silencer and also have the long section in my undertray but I have not yet fitted it. I think I will have the same problem as you have with the front pipe being to short.

The answer would be to extend the front pipe to move the silencer back but, why make them like this if they are not going to fit under the car.
Was the silencer with the slim front section made to overcome this problem or am I also missing something.

Fred...
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2010 :  10:06:48  Show Profile
Hi Everyone,

Yes there were 2 types of silencer. The single one has off set inlet / out let which allows maximum ground clearance and adjustment into the under tray. So the exhaust should not foul the under tray. I have been looking into this, as I will need exhausts for the N and L CC. I have now obtained access to the jigs that Colin Teiche made for all the different models, both 4 & 6 cylinder. However these are for the single box type. I understand Keith Lever found an original two box type which he had a small batch made.

Regards Terry
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000