Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Front Trunnion Box
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  11:16:34  Show Profile
As I said on this page a week or two back,what problems can I expect when stripping down and replacing the front springs and trunnions. You all kindly gave me verious replacements to have ready which I did. However when I took the old trunnions out they were the shape of rugby balls and the slpts were wide enough to take lorry springs. The problem is the inside of the boxes that carry the trunnions looks very worn and has a ridge where the two halfs of the trunnions meet. I have been phoneing around this morning without success, no body make new front trunnion boxes anymore. Any suggestions!

Rodney

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  13:41:47  Show Profile
Rodney

You really are having a rough time with this car, aren't you?

I have a feeling that somebody did make some trunnion boxes once.

Still, it is often possible to reclaim worn ones. Generally, the answer is to bore the inside of the box to clean-up the ridge, although often there isn't much 'meat' there. You then need to make oversize bushes to suit the bore. I did make some once which were solid round bar with a slot (i.e. one bush per box) which worked quite well and would avoid the 'ridge' problem in future. I'm not really sure why they were split in the first place other than to allow for adjustment by shimming. Possibly to facilitate fitting the spring, as the trunnion boxes were originally rivetted. You have to drill out or carefully chisel the head off the rivet(s) and re-fit the boxes with HT bolts + nuts.
I have found the neatest way of removing these rivets without spoiling anything is to first centre-punch the rivet head as accurately as you can, then drill to a depth about equal to the head of the rivet with a small pilot drill, then about a 1/4" bit. Then use a good sharp cold chisel under the head of the rivet and give it one good belt with a heavy hammer and the head should come off cleanly. You may then be able to punch the body of the rivet out but if further drilling is still required, you'll now have a much clearer indication of the true centre.

Edited by - kimber on 06/04/2005 11:32:42
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000