Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Painting a PA
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BlackBeauty

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2005 :  10:30:15  Show Profile
How was the bodywork on a PA originally painted at the factory ?

If by hand, what methods and paint formulae were used to achieve a smooth yet deep effect ?

PA 0605
Two seater, 1934

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2005 :  09:15:06  Show Profile
When the steel panels had been fitted on the coachbuilt frame and the doors fitted the body was sprayed with a rust proof primer and the inside woodwork sprayed withan undercoat. these coats were dried by passing the body through a kiln, and followed by a number of coats of cellulose filler dried in the same way. the body was then rubbed down with wet quartz-grit paper by hand until smooth,again heat dried ,and then sprayed with coats of cellulose colour,dried by heat and finally sanded by hand using fine grit paper lubricated with special rubbing compound dissolved in water. Thus flatted, a mist coat of cellulose thinners left the body ready for polishing.Thats how Morris painted their cars in the Thirties and I suspect MG did the same. (courtesy of The Morris Motor Car by H. Edwards)
Go to Top of Page

BlackBeauty

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2005 :  06:32:10  Show Profile
Thank you very much for the most comprehensive reply. Seems a challenge to reproduce in my garage. I had the naive assumption that spraying and ovens were a much later industry innovation but clearly not. The lesson is there, though: repeated manual sanding and filling until the finish is achieved.

PA 0605
Two seater, 1934
Go to Top of Page

Widung

Sweden
189 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2005 :  19:37:39  Show Profile
I have a question relating to the main question: Was the bonnet centre hinge painted or chromed on P-types?
I have tried to determine that from original pictures without success. Any help out there?
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  14:27:24  Show Profile
The original bonnet hinges were made of stainless steel and to the best of my knowledge were never painted.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

Widung

Sweden
189 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  10:02:05  Show Profile
Thanks, Peter, I still have my original bonnet, so now I know what to do.

Best regards
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000