Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Eathing Headlamp Bulbs
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  12:49:19  Show Profile
How are the bulbs / reflectors earthed in L150s - the ones with the reflectors clipped to the rim? Do they rely on the "W" clips or is there a wire connected to the bulb holder clamp - I have the latter but it doesn't look original

Cheers

Jan T

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  14:44:28  Show Profile
Jan,

Does not the W clip just hold the glass in the rim and are not the reflectors fitted to the body of the light.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  15:42:04  Show Profile
Hi Peter,

An excellent point. I have various bowls and reflectors. There appears to be two types :- one where the reflector fits into the bowl via "half moon" tags and cut outs, and the other where there are no tags on the reflector, only a narrow flange, which I assume fits into the chromed rim against the glass. I have an excellent set of parts as per the latter and believe fitting the reflector to the glass is the best option since if any water leaks past the rim / bowl it will run down the outside of the reflector. I have raised a similar post previously but am unable to find it via a search.

Cheers

Jan T
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3244 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  19:49:45  Show Profile
On my cars the earth is through the lamp base to the support bracket and thence via the chassis. To get a good earth I had to remove some paint from the point where the headlamp bracket sits on support bracket.

George
Go to Top of Page

Steve Cooper

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  21:07:15  Show Profile
It is good practice to use a separate earth wire thus avoiding any silly problems with paint and potential high resistance paths. If you are using the original bulbs with holders that slide in and out, the bulbs have to be clamped in the correct position and at the correct focal length. The proper way of doing this is with a clamp around the reflector protrusion. The clamp has a "leg" on it, with a small tapped hole for the earth attachment (6BA).
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  23:53:56  Show Profile
I seem to remember on unmolested LB 140's and 150's (not necessarily on MG's) a black earth wire attached to the bulb clamp and going off somewhere (even down the hole and back to the chassis?. That sort of arrangement would have provided a much more reliable earth than anything attached to the lamp itself). Many of these lamps used to be seen at our "swapmeets" (aka autojumbles).
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  18:02:50  Show Profile
Hi Barry,

Looks like my bit of wire attached to the bulb holder clamp was original after all. Can anyone offer advice on reflectors attached to the rims as opposed to the bowls.

Jan T
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  00:12:41  Show Profile
Jan, I would say that the wire attached to the bulb clamp would have been original. Thinking about where it may attach, I now dimly remember a small socket under the clinched end of one of the rivets (of the bowl mounting) inside the bowl and a "push-on" bullet connector on the end of the wire. As for reflectors, I think that the earliest ones were attached to a thin flange on the rim of the bowl with small screws, then came the "half-moon" system and finally (post-war?) the "W" clips holding everything (ie glass, reflector and seal) to the outer rim.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000