Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG's Crystal Palace History
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2010 :  11:12:40  Show Profile
I m entered in the Crystal Palace Sprint on may 30th so I thought I see what history Triple M's had at the venue.

The only info I can find is around the 1937 Coronation Trophy event. Parnells K3 had mechanical failure on lap 14 in heat 1 and Humpreys MG had a broken rear axel in Heat 2. Does this sound right and was the Humpreys car a Q type?

Anyone else have any snippets of Info or photos regarding MGs at the Palace?

Thanks

Mark Dolton

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2010 :  20:31:54  Show Profile
Hi Mark - yes MGs competed at Crystal Palace, the references I have seen refer to many of the old favourites...Parnell, Smith, Nickols etc. so I imagine the mix was similar to Brooklands and Donnington.

There is a rather poor quality pic in one of the Yearbooks I edited (1998 - all too long ago!) showing Cuddon-Fletcher in a modified MG (K3009?) just avoiding collision with Stuart-Wilton in a K3 (looks like K3004 with its lowered body...) (identity of these cars revised!)

Also some of our chaps competed in the more recent sprints there, so you will upholding a fine tradition!

Cheers,
Graham

Edited by - MaGic_GV on 19/05/2010 21:28:26
Go to Top of Page

McEvoy

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2010 :  21:16:02  Show Profile
R Types competed at Crystal Palace - Esplen driving 0256 in both 1938 & 39 and earlier in 1937 I believe 0259 was piloted by Watson who finished 9th in a Cup race.
Good luck Mark in your efforts to keep the TripleM flag flying high.
Bob
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2010 :  23:03:04  Show Profile
Sounds like a sound base for a Yearbook article, Mark! Or Graham. Or Bob.

Cheers,
Cathelijne

Edited by - Cathelijne on 18/05/2010 23:03:23
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  07:20:12  Show Profile
Here's one!

My P special (now in Japan) at the last Crystal palace sprint, whenever that was (10 yrs ago?). From memory, Len Bull J2 was also there and I have a feeling at least one other Triple M car.

It was a very well organised and enjoyable day. Weather unbelievably hot (my daughter feinted on arrival and was removed to hospital by ambulance (where she and my wife remained for most of the day)!

Edited by - kimber on 19/05/2010 07:20:56
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  09:34:11  Show Profile
Cathelijne, Id be happy to do an article!

Thanks for the info chaps, keep it coming!

I hear there are 2limited edition books detailing every event at CP,
A record of motor racing at Crystal Palace - Richard Page
and
Motor sport at CP, Londons own Circuit ( not sure of author)

If anyone has access to a copy please let me know!

Mark Dolton

Edited by - Dolts on 19/05/2010 09:45:33
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  11:05:19  Show Profile
Hi Mark,

Cracking !
Here's your second book: http://www.crystalpalacefoundation.org.uk/Shop/default.asp?id=13

Good luck (both with sprinting and writing),
Cathelijne
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  17:21:43  Show Profile
My info came from 'Racing at Crystal Palace' by Phillip Parfitt, but it gives only limited info...but if it helps? There is a nice pic of a very sideways Andy McLennan (N special) in one of the last race meetings...

Cheers,
Graham
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2010 :  09:52:18  Show Profile
Graham, I d really like to see that! My Father purchased the N special from Andy and raced it for a number of years!
Thanks
M

Mark Dolton
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2010 :  08:34:25  Show Profile
Entry Lists are now on the website FYI

Looks a little challenging for the PB!!!!

www.motorsportatthepalace.co.uk

Mark Dolton
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2010 :  09:11:34  Show Profile
Mark, I'll happily lend you the book - if you send your address to my personal email I will drop it in the post...

Cheers,
Graham
Go to Top of Page

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2010 :  09:48:57  Show Profile
Hi Mark,
I competed twice at Crystal Palace in the sixties and seventies. At the first event I was fourth reserve, and didn't get a run. JB3852 then was clothed with its post-war special body, and quite quick. In practice, The Hon Patrick Lindsay (Driving R5B, the ERA Remus) was blue-flagged for my benefit coming through The Glade, which surprised him, and caused me some mirth! The MG really was quite fast through there, but, of course, the ERA lost me along the bottom straight!
In 1973 I took part in the last ever race meeting there, and qualified fourth on the grid, only to make a complete porridge of the start, and having to make my way through the field to finish sixth or seventh.
The Circuit was wonderful, with absolutely nowhere for run off, and taught you to drive on the black strip, it simply wouldn't suit modern racing at all.
I drove the NO, with Jane, at two of the Sprint meetings in the nineties, which were fun too, but not the same as the circuit.
While you are there, do walk the old course! Come to think of it I may be there anyway.
All the best,
Mike
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2010 :  12:06:37  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Allison

Hi Mark,
I competed twice at Crystal Palace in the sixties and seventies. At the first event I was fourth reserve, and didn't get a run. JB3852 then was clothed with its post-war special body, and quite quick. In practice, The Hon Patrick Lindsay (Driving R5B, the ERA Remus) was blue-flagged for my benefit coming through The Glade, which surprised him, and caused me some mirth! The MG really was quite fast through there, but, of course, the ERA lost me along the bottom straight!
In 1973 I took part in the last ever race meeting there, and qualified fourth on the grid, only to make a complete porridge of the start, and having to make my way through the field to finish sixth or seventh.
The Circuit was wonderful, with absolutely nowhere for run off, and taught you to drive on the black strip, it simply wouldn't suit modern racing at all.
I drove the NO, with Jane, at two of the Sprint meetings in the nineties, which were fun too, but not the same as the circuit.
While you are there, do walk the old course! Come to think of it I may be there anyway.
All the best,
Mike

Thanks Mike, will do,

Looking at some old circuit maps and the Sprint course. I think the sprint is using part of the old as well as the revised post 53 layout. So we start on the old circuit and then join terrace straight towards and round the RH corner, North West Tower crescent and down through the glade. The return route continues towards park curve before heading back along the old pre 53 circuit route.

But I ll have to check when there

look forward to seeing you there!

Mark

Mark Dolton

Edited by - Dolts on 24/05/2010 12:26:28
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2010 :  14:37:01  Show Profile
Hi Mark,

If you let me have your e-mail address, I'll forward some more piccies I found for your article .

Cheers,
Cathelijne
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  08:51:30  Show Profile
What a great weekend!!! Highly recommended! Great to see Mike A and Oliver R out in Support. We were a little out paced by our competitors but I did manage to beat the 1970 MG Midget and was only 1.5 secs off the pre 1947 racing class winner. Also picked up Car of the Day. The Major of Bromley had a soft spot for MG's!!! Fabulous to be part of such a varied event

Now I know we have Le Frog trophy but Anyone know the relevance of the Bronze Pig trophy we were presented with for Car of the day!!!??

Really great to drive parts of the Old course, so narrow must of been quite something through into the glade under the trees with others around you! No margin for error anywhere

Also great to meet and talk to Tony Crook who reeled off a fine list of his exploits in MG's, His first car at 17 was a J2 and went on to race K3's P's N's the lot. very interesting fellow that I m sure your well aware of!

I also have tracked down the book of every race at CP so I shall start my MG research in anger very soon.

Thanks

Mark

Mark Dolton
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  10:23:30  Show Profile
Hello Mark, I'm glad that you had a good day, and congratulations on your award. I would have liked to have spectated at CP, but I couldn't get back from Beggar's Roost in time !

In your first posting on this thread, you asked whether Humphrey's car was a Q Type. It was indeed - QA0256, the ex Dr A R Samuel car. He bought the car from Samuel in 1937 and the Coronation Trophy at CP was his first event with it. As you know, he did the back axle in, but all was made better by the BARC Whitsun Meeting on 17/5/37 when he got two Second Places in Handicaps and was timed at a lap on the Outer Circuit at 115.02 mph. With Robin Jackson's help, the car became faster and faster, until Humphreys gained his 120 mph Badge in September 1938 with a lap of 122.07 mph at the Dunlop Jubilee Meeting. After that the car was sold to Australia, where it still resides as a highly prized part of Australian racing history.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000