Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Appropriate tonsorial attire
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1565 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2010 :  20:49:16  Show Profile
Discuss - I deplore the modern predilection for base-ball type hats when driving a Triple-M or other classic British motors; a proper British-type flat hat is much more appropriate.

Bruce. (PB0564)

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2010 :  21:25:09  Show Profile
Tonsorial attire?I thought that might allude to rugs or hairpieces - but evidently not.....

I prefer a flat 'at - though the modern variants do help somewhat to overcome the consequences of the lack of windscreen visors in our cars ..

Regards
Dick Morbey, PA/B 0743
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2010 :  21:44:58  Show Profile
Wear a baseball cap in a Triple-M? Whatever is the world coming to? You’ll be using stainless steel fasteners next.

Definitely grounds for termination of Register membership.

Peter

PS Now lets get serious guys. We are a serious responsible club and should show a little decorum:

..... well suitable for a sunny day at the Madresfield driving tests

Edited by - Peter Scott on 22/05/2010 12:27:52
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2010 :  00:25:05  Show Profile
I often wear a flat 'at or Bugatti cap. Also a deerstalker in my 1912 Rover. Got them in the UK, seldom obtainable here where we are more into slouch hats or corks hanging from brims (to ward off flies), etc.
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2010 :  05:38:22  Show Profile
What we need is one of those glass screens that fit across the back behind the seats to stop our hair getting blown about. This would only I think be relevant to a small percentage of MMM owners !! This thread is beginning to look as though it should be in the Technical Information Forum.
How about a Light Hearted Forum
Regards

David D
Go to Top of Page

Gordon

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2010 :  08:46:26  Show Profile
This was discussed in the forum some time ago. I suggested either of the Holden range of Vintage Motoring Cap or the Lugger. The latter was recommended. The former worn back to front was a common solution in the vintage years and is shown in many photos. Any other suggestions or comments on these 2 caps?

Gordon
Go to Top of Page

JDoe

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2010 :  19:39:29  Show Profile
http://www.ropeysoles.com/mens_berets.php
p.s. that isn't me modelling a beret

Edited by - JDoe on 22/05/2010 19:40:49
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  06:15:35  Show Profile
Straw can look elegant, but only at slow speeds,
Regards,

David D
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  06:31:44  Show Profile
French flat chapeau on tonsorial excess,

Baseball cap and straw !

David D

Edited by - Dow on 23/05/2010 10:06:14
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2010 :  15:35:50  Show Profile
A South American solution. No body else with any contributions ?

David D
Go to Top of Page

David Griffiths

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2010 :  19:59:19  Show Profile
The problem with a typical british flat cap is that they resemble a perfect aerofoil shape so the aerodynamics are fine up to about 50 mph but above that the coefficient of lift is such that they will tend to create sufficient lift to depart from the wearer unless the angle of attack is below 12 degrees or the wearer has it on so tight that after an hour one has a real headache and an impressed ring around the head when removed. Ideally one should have a slightly smaller than normal hat size and wear with an angle of attack close to zero degrees.
I have on many occasions had to stop and walk back along the road to retrieve missing flat cap headwear, but I did find a solution many years ago whilst in France to collect a new Airbus A300 when I purchased a french version of the chappeau plat the aerodynamics of which are a lower lift coefficient and the ability to well exceed 65 mph before concerns of losing said hat.
Mind you when its really cold I wear a ski hat !

David
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2542 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2010 :  21:57:08  Show Profile
Many years ago I used to wear a natural coloured woollen bobble hat. It stayed on at any speed with no discomfort however, I guess these days it would produce even more mirth than it did then! SWMBO would run a 4 minute mile.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  05:34:57  Show Profile
David G,
The science behind the flat cap is fascinating. Does the angle of lift apply at all times, at it would seem to me that this would be greater when the cap is put on backwards, as this would be more of an aerofoil shape,the peak being the trailing edge, except of course when in reverse.
Perhaps some of our members could set up a trial at the "Flat Cap and Long Thin Dog" weekend, wear them at different angles, and the guy at the back can sweep up

Regards
David D

Edited by - Dow on 26/05/2010 10:05:04
Go to Top of Page

David Griffiths

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  10:07:17  Show Profile
David D
Of course you are correct in saying that a flat cap when worn back to front does more resemble a proper aerofoil shape.
I have to admit that my original reply to this post was really a bit of light hearted banter when basically the removal of said flat cap from head at speed is probably just wind getting under the peak.
What we need now is access to a wind tunnel to carry out some serious research into this subject.
Best wishes

David
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  10:47:46  Show Profile
Maybe this is the time to introduce another element to the discussion?

Mrs Morbey has been following the thread with interest. Whilst she's not a registered subscriber to the forum she has an interest as the regular passenger in my P type.

The tonsorial aspect of all of this has generally been the source of much tutting from her in the past. Some hats squash thee lady's hair; others simply won't stay put; other means (e.g. scarves) are unacceptable for reasons that I can't begin to fathom.

The latest approach (and I assure you that no pictures of it in service are yet available) is as below:

I will report further in due course.

Regards
Dick Morbey, PA/B 0743
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  12:05:55  Show Profile
David G :-
Light hearted banter !! I thought all postings on these forums were supposed to be taken seriously.
How about the Tyne Tunnel, that can get quite windy at times.
I shall hopefully be racing at Silverstone and if I can get an engineering firm to help set it up I will attach a flat hat to my crash helmet at less than the 12 degrees and see what happens. Perhaps I could make it adjustable like an F1 car wing and come in every 2 laps for it to be adjusted, but I will need pit crew.
Dick M :-
I thought the passenger seat was to put your tools and spares on ! The solution you propose has been tried sucessfully, see my previous picture posting.They seem to be devoid of any aerodynamic effect such as lift, but drag does seem to be consideration. Could the club stock the item with a MMM logo, once we have all agreed on the preferred deseign. I can see a MMM year book article in the making here.

Regards
David D

Edited by - Dow on 26/05/2010 12:14:33
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000