Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Jarvis of Wimbledon
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2010 :  22:05:37  Show Profile
Hello All,

Is there anyone out here with some more knowledge on Jarvis of Wimbledon? The main question I have is if Jimmy Palmes was a director of this company. And was George Eyston involved too? Any (additional) info much appreciated!

Regards,
Cathelijne Spoelstra

LewPalmer

USA
3242 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2010 :  22:18:44  Show Profile
The Safety Fast MMM newsletter of October 1999 contains a small scrap of information. "the very scarce history of Jarvis Coachbuilders and it’s directors Jimmy Palmes, Hubert and Patrick Walters". The full reference is online at http://www.mgcars.org.uk/mgcc/sf/991008.htm

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

McEvoy

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2010 :  22:23:05  Show Profile
Hi Cathelijne
When I lived in South London in the 1950's & 60's my step father always took his Morris & Wolseley cars to Jarvis and many a trip I took there on my bicycle to obtain bits and pieces.
Jimmy Palmes was a Director, I don't think Eyston was but Goldie Gardner was a Director seeing him there many times with EX135 on show.
We had much amusement with Goldie as my step father was also a Gardner by name and had ginger hair.
Best wishes
Bob Milton
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2010 :  06:52:35  Show Profile
I wrote another article relating to Jarvis of Wimbledon around this time having met the grandfather of one of my employees who worked there in the 1930s. Can't remember if it was in SF or Yearbook.
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2010 :  10:12:46  Show Profile
Thank you all, Gentlemen, most helpful! I read the Newsletter that Lew mentioned a dozen times, just went from C-type bit to C-type bit, I'm afraid.

Andrew, if you do remember in what publication it was eventually put, I'd love to hear about it.

Bob, if Goldie was a Director too, shouldn't this point towards a rather large company, with 4 directors??? I seem to have read somewhere that -for example compared to UM- it was a rather small business.

Rumour has it that Palmes himself converted a standard M-type engine to fall within the 750cc maximum of Class H and took that to Abingdon to be used in EX120. Would you say Palmes actually did the work himself, or did he set his mechanic(s) to work? Just trying to establish what a directorship really meant in those days. I mean, I don't see Kimber getting his hands dirty!

Regards,
Cathelijne
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2010 :  16:49:25  Show Profile
Malcolm Green did an article about Jarvis bodied cars in MG Enthusiast April 98 p67
James Bird had another article "Jarvis of Wimbledon" Safety Fast June 2001 p17
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2010 :  20:20:33  Show Profile
Hi Tony,

Thanks for that! I have a copy of the SF! involved, but not the MGE you mention. Any chance you have a digital copy?

Regards,
Cathelijne
Go to Top of Page

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2010 :  15:54:34  Show Profile
Hi Cathelijne,

Jimmy Palmes was certainly a director, and it was Jarvis who sponsored the EX 120 record attempts. Eyston was a director, at least for a time, as Jarvis certainly sponsored his racing in MG cars. I didn't know about Gardner being involved... he had his own business is Croydon pre-war, and Jacko told me that he and Syd Enever had to go to Croydon to work on EX135 post-war. I have a feeling that Ernest Eldridge was in the background of Jarvis too: probably underwriting the finances a bit.

Sadly we dont have the men to call on now!

Best wishes,

Mike
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2010 :  16:45:23  Show Profile
Cathelijne
Will have a root around in the 'library' to find the copy.
Will try to scan it - will contact you subsequently
Incidently, I can't find any reference to Kimbers article in either SF or the bulletin
Tony
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2010 :  17:10:23  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by tonym
James Bird had another article "Jarvis of Wimbledon" Safety Fast June 2001 p17

Ahh, that's it. The article was produced with a lot of editorial assistance but was largely penned by (the late) James Bird.

Edited by - kimber on 18/06/2010 17:13:02
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3242 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2010 :  18:07:05  Show Profile
Tony,

I sent a copy of the MGE article to Cathelijne.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2010 :  19:05:02  Show Profile
Gentlemen, many thanks to all! I have now received Lew's scans, so I am now as up-to-date with Jarvis as you all turned out to be !

Cheers,
Cat
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000