Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 P Type scuttle top
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2010 :  17:09:48  Show Profile
Several people have told me the centre rear of the scuttle top will not "sit down" properly to conform to the dash & now as I am reaching that stage, this seems to be true of my own. Has anyone a magic solution?
I guess it's because mine is an early car with J2 door latches & Lucas 1130 sidelamps that it has had a J2 rear view mirror certainly since the '60 & which I would therefore like to retain. I wonder however if the correct P type one can be used to pull the scuttle down onto the frame?

Cheers,

Dave

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2010 :  21:15:48  Show Profile
Dave

When I bought my P, the scuttle did not folow the line of the dashboard nor the lower edge of the windcreen. The central area was too low and indeed the rear edge was lower than the centre of the dashboard. The winter before last a friend of mine, who loves bodywork, persuaded me to remove the scuttle and reshape it. Despite his love of bodywork, after three sessions in the workshop he was heard to say "This job is going to take longer than I thought" and it did.

As the scuttle has very significant curves we had to cut along the foot of the two humps from the rear edge of the scuttle and about three-quarters of the way around the hump. Before we made these cuts we could not move the central area (ie where the mirror is mounted.)

Before I started the job, I studied many photograhs of P type scuttles and a MMM member very kindly provided me with some further pictures and measurements. This evidence proved that the shape of a P scuttle varies considerably.

I am very pleased with the end result of our endeavours. The scuttle now follows the line of the bottom edge of the windscreen very closely. It was much more difficult to get the scuttle to closely follow the top edge of the dash. However the slight variations in gap is hidden by using piping which is very slightly larger than usual.

So a very sucessful if lengthy job.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2010 :  21:33:57  Show Profile
That's interesting Peter. I thought the common problem was the one I seem to have, namely that the centre rear is too high, hence my wondering if the mirror could be used to pull it down. Certainly I can hold it down in a suitable position so I think my problem is probably more easily solved than yours was.
As you say, there is a lot of vatiation, as indeed in many other parts of the cars.
Thanks,
Dave
Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  09:05:01  Show Profile
Hi Dave

I had the same problem, here is my method,

"L" shaped metal bracket spot welded to scuttle. I think that holding the scuttle top down with the mirror bracket would need 2ba bolts through the wooden bar below the scuttle, however from memory they would be quite close to the edge of the wood.

Countersink woodscrew holes and trim metal to avoid wiring that passes through large hole.

Hope this helps

Russ
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  11:19:46  Show Profile
That Russ looks like the solution to my problem. Many thanks!
Dave
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000