Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MMM REGISTRATION NUMBERS
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2010 :  23:17:49  Show Profile
Sean, In response to your question some time ago, my F-type has its original Victorian number 1817, probably issued in early 1933 before Victoria went to alpha-numeric. It now has a South Austrlian rego plate but I bought the same number. My TC has 235-702 its original South Australian number when first registered in February 1948. Each Australian state has its own registration system and the numbers are now all alpha-numeric.
Go to Top of Page

sas

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  20:16:53  Show Profile
Thank you for your post Barry, as this amble through registration numbers as issued to our cars revolves around UK issues, understanding anything original abroad can be problematic.

As i understand it, a number of other Countries Worldwide have withdrawn all older vehicles original numbers, and re issued with their new format. No sense of history.

Back in the 1960's and 70's, when the cherished plate revolution took off, the system here was made so as to actively discourage this transfer and sale scheme, fraud being an issue with valuable cancelled (i stress cancelled) plates able to fetch £100 (1962), and in part, explains the excessive number of low number plates surviving. Gosh did i say that. Anyway, although people have moved plates around for over 100 years. Now in fact, the UK system is very fair and sensible, and those with an old wreck trying to re unite car with original number, and provided there is sufficient positive evidence will find the powers that be quite accomodating, unlike 20 years ago when every conceivable obstacle, was of course, placed in one's way.

Sean
Go to Top of Page

sas

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2010 :  21:22:49  Show Profile
UK number plates. Part 7.

Exeter C.B.C.

Had only the FJ issue from Jan 1904 right through to Aug 1934 so was a comparatively slow one by English standards. Early records held in the City are good, later poor.

Plymouth C.B.C. and Devonport C.B.C.

Now we arrive at the unique English issues where each was a separate C.B.C. with a third non C.B.C. East Stonehouse which did not issue, the 3 merged in 1914, known as the 3 towns and became Plymouth City in 1928.

Plymouth C.B.C.

CO from Jan 1904 to June 1926
JY from Mar 1932, Jan 1933 / 1136, Jan 1934 / 2781, Jan 1935 / 4828, Jan 1936 / 7273, Jan 1937 / 9546
then onto the triples ACO Feb 1937, ADR, AJY, BCO etc.

Devonport C.B.C.

Issued DR from Jan 1904 and it ran through to Mar 1932, however in June 1926 was issued by Plymouth C.B.C. to their new JY in Mar 1932,
the exact change date and number are not known.
A few record cards for these 2 are all that remain, in Plymouth.

Our West Country stay is finished.
Oh, The Hound of the Baskervilles, yes a gripping yarn, but it did kill Sir Hugo. Didn't it ?
Long journey now to Auld Reekie, so keep up.
Sean
Go to Top of Page

sas

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  20:08:35  Show Profile
UK number plates. Part 8.

Edinburgh B.C. and Leith B.C.

Firstly in Scotland there were no C.B.C., so all issues are either C.C. or B.C. (Burgh Council), the same as a Borough Council.

Edinburgh B.C.
S was the first issue, then SG followed by SF and then to
SC Oct 1927 and succeeded by
FS Apr 1931, Jan 1932 / 1824, Jan 1933 / 4688, Jan 1934 / 7771
and then onto. Stop, we will have to now go back before we go forward.
WHY...indeed

Leith B.C.
WS was the issue here from Jan 1904, Leith being attached to but separate from Edinburgh, and also was the port for the latter. In 1920 and against the wishes of the voters of Leith, the 2 merged and it was in Jun 1934 that Edinburgh picked up with the original but suspended Leith issue WS which remained unused for these 14 years.

WS by 1920 had not issued much and even in Jan 1935 was only at 2402, then moved rapidly Jan 1936 / 7259 and finally finished in July 1936, all these as Edinburgh.

Thereafter the triples AFS, ASC, ASF, ASG, AWS, BFS etc..

Want any Edinburgh records and you will be disappointed. None exist. However you can go to Edinburgh, not Leith, and find records of the Leith issues up to 1920. How bizarre.

okay, we must motor on to somewhere beginning with S. No not Scotland, of which Auld Reekie (Smoky) is the Capital.
Sean
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000