Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Photo identification help.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Matthew Magilton

Australia
179 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2010 :  05:48:50  Show Profile
I have seen these two photos which belong to a friend of mine and I was wondering if anybody could identify the cars and tell me if they survive please?

Photo 1 shows a shabby looking drop head coupe which I think is an F type with typical F1 guards. Registration number is MG.1717. This photo was probably taken in Australia. There are holes in the number plate where another plate may have been fitted over the top. If I can find out the chassis number then I can check the register over here to see if it is still about.

Photo 2 shows a new-looking standard fabric bodied M type with registration number OG.6771 in front of English winter parkland with a young man at the wheel wearing thick fur gloves.

Cheers,
Matthew Magilton.

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2010 :  08:55:26  Show Profile
Mathew, You have unearthed some interesting photos but I cannot bring your latest ones up!
Go to Top of Page

Matthew Magilton

Australia
179 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2010 :  09:20:38  Show Profile
Gday Barry,
They are not posted, apologies if you thought they were.
They are in a friends collection.

Cheers,
Matthew.
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2010 :  11:15:26  Show Profile
Hello Matthew,

I have a list compiled by Mike Hawke of chassis numbers and corresponding U.K. Registration numbers of dozens and dozens and even more dozens of MMM cars, culled partly from Works Records and also from magazine articles, and photographs over a long period of time. The list is obviously not 100% complete, but as neither of the Reg Numbers quoted by you appear on it, it rather suggests that neither car has been active during the past 40 or so years.

I'm afraid that both cars (or at least the metal parts of them) may have been sent over to give Mr Hitler a headache during the 1939 - 1945 period.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Matthew Magilton

Australia
179 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2010 :  13:53:16  Show Profile
Thank you for checking Colin.

Cheers,
Matthew.
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2010 :  17:49:59  Show Profile
Hi Mathew,
Would it be possible to scan the pictures and put them on the forum as MG 1717 is not in Julian Evers book and I have not a picture of OG 6771.
Many thanks,

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

Matthew Magilton

Australia
179 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2010 :  03:00:39  Show Profile
I will ask Mike. They are good shots.

Cheers,
Matthew.
Go to Top of Page

Matthew Magilton

Australia
179 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2010 :  07:32:50  Show Profile
Yes, we can put them on the forum. They are part of the collection of the VSCC of Australia (Sydney) and would need their permission if anyone wanted to reproduce them. The M type driver is David Pittendrigh, an Australian who stayed in England before the war and later owned F0546 in Australia. The F type in the other photo arrived in Australia during WWII and I am working on a theory that it may be F0546. If someone would like to contact me then I can email scans of the photos for them to add to the forum. mbmagilton "at" msn.com

Cheers,
Matthew.
Go to Top of Page

Matthew Magilton

Australia
179 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  08:40:27  Show Profile
Are there F types in Evers' book that have registration numbers very close to MG1717? Maybe that would give me a very rough idea of what the chassis number may be.
Also, Pittendrigh's car was described as a "Carlton Coupe". Would this be a drophead or a fixed roof? Anyone have an image of a Carlton Coupe on an F chassis?

Cheers,
Matthew.
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  10:05:31  Show Profile
Hello again Matthew,

From the "Mike Hawke Lists" I can tell you that Registration Number MG 1718 is (or perhaps was) allocated to chassis number F 1157.

So far as the M is concerned, there are no "OG" numbers anywhere near to the one in question.

Hope this helps

Best wishes

Colin.
Go to Top of Page

Matthew Magilton

Australia
179 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  13:41:13  Show Profile
Thank you Colin.

Cheers,
Matthew.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  22:10:43  Show Profile
Matthew,

The Evers listing has MG 1718 listed as being on chassis number F1156.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

Matthew Magilton

Australia
179 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 :  02:17:18  Show Profile
Thank you Peter.
I was thinking a close registration may give me a close chassis number, but then I forgot to allow for the possible extra time that may have been spent at Carlton getting the special body fitted, which would have delayed registration.

Cheers,
Matthew.
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2010 :  00:28:47  Show Profile
Hi again Mathew,
The nearest know M type is possibly OG 2438, originally a coupe with a build date of 5th May 1930, chassis CM 1601. This car is still alive as a Red 2 seater that was for sale in July 2007.
OG was a Birmingham registration, but the records were all destroyed.

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

Matthew Magilton

Australia
179 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2010 :  01:35:44  Show Profile
Thank you Mike.

There is a photo of the F type MG 1717 on the "MG F Type Magna Registry" website. This is the same photo, I did not realise it was posted there (in the Unidentified cars section). Now I know that this is a Carlton Coupe. The website is well worth a visit for those who have not seen it.

Cheers,
Matthew.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000