Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 P windscreen brackets - fore & aft position
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Oz34

United Kingdom
2536 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2010 :  09:21:05  Show Profile
This is a subject which has been disscussed previously however, in answer to my recent post on the brackets, Maurice Blakey has suggested a solution which I am now sure is correct.

I asked if the central hole took a woodscrew rather than a bolt & Dick Morbey confirmed this. This screw goes into the rear X-member of the scuttle, & Maurice asked if that was what determined position.

On reflection, not only must it do so but, at risk of a chorus of "we all knew that", the X-member is only 7/8 inch thick so, good woodworking practice demanding that a screw be placed in the centre of such a thin piece of wood, there is ONLY one position for the bracket!

I'm now braced for the flak.

Cheers,

Dave

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2010 :  22:08:02  Show Profile
WARNING
There is a snag to my assumption that the windscreen brackets are positioned so that the top screws are in the centre of the second crossmember. On the centre line of this crossmember are the screws which attach it to the side rail so to avoid a collision it would be adviseable to position the screw just off centre. I still have the old crossmember from my original body and the holes in that are foreward of the centre. If you have a new Rique Llinares body frame the crossmember is slightly different and the top fixing can also be a bolt.

Maurice Blakey.
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2010 :  09:09:26  Show Profile
Hello Maurice and Dave,

Thinking back 10 years when I put my car together, I seem to recall that the positioning of the windscreen brackets was also determined by the screen itself. Too far forward and there would have been too large a gap between the car body and the brackets; too far back - well, it just will not go, because of course the body width is tapered.

In the end I put it where it looked and fitted best! The positioning of the woodscrew in into the cross member was coincidental. In hindsight I should have positioned it slightly forward of where I did, so as to allow space for the aero screens.

Thinking about all of this makes me wonder whether the Works would have assembled the brackets initially with just the woodscrew before making a final fix? I bet they had jigs for this mundane task!

Regards
Dick Morbey, PA/B 0743
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2010 :  12:12:11  Show Profile
When I replaced my windscreen after doing a reshapimg and renovation job on my scuttle, the best advice I received re the location of the windscreen was to offer it up and then view it from all angles and shift it a little at a time until it 'looks right'. Then drill the holes. The 'looking' does included checks with a tape measure and a spirit level but the looking is the most important part of the process.

I hung the windscreen on two lengths of string from the rafters and held the brackets in place with gaffer tape. The job takes a couple of hours -one hour 55 mins 'looking and adjusting' plus five minutes drilling holes. Having spent many hours reshaping and replacing metal in my scuttle, I was determined not to drill holes in the wrong place.

Take your time and good luck, Peter

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000