Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 R(oger?) Balsom
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2010 :  21:53:58  Show Profile
Anyone know of or remember a fellow by the name of R. Balsom (likely Roger)? He registered PB0560, which I now own, with the Triple-M in 1961 as car number 11. I'm trying to fill in any details I can of the history of my car.

I just last night got a call from the first US owner of the car.It was imported to the US in 1973, so I am hopeful to fill in the details between 1961 and 1973. After 1973 it was owned by Gerry Goguen (Abingdon Spares) until my purchase in 2000.

It's a PB Airline Coupe, so perhaps a little easier to remember than one of dozens of 2-seaters.

Any knowledge of Roger Balsom or pre-1973 history of the car would be most appreciated.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2010 :  17:39:14  Show Profile
Hi Lew,

I knew Roger Balsom in the early sixties: he was one of the Rehister's earlest members, and I met him a couple of times at Club meetings, and even saw the car a couple of times, although it had had its roof removed, and was converted to a rough drophead coupe.

In those days the cars were not worth a lot, and were certainly not worth spending large sums on. I see to remember that Roger advertised the car in Motor Sport, and sold it to an American airman, or soldier, I think based in Germany. Roger departed from the Club, and I have not heard anything of him for th past fifty years!

He lived in the Sidcup area, I think, and was friendly with Mike Harris, our original Spared Registrar. Sadly Mike died some thirty years ago.

Sorry I can't be more helpful,

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2010 :  19:14:29  Show Profile
Interesting Mike. Could the "rough drophead coupe" be the rather strange looking animal in "Looking Back" in the Sept S.F.?

Hope you & Ann are well.

ATB,
Dave
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2010 :  22:59:12  Show Profile
Thanks, Mike. The car was indeed sold to an American, if it is the same car. The purchaser and importer was one Dr. Richard K. Dickinson of Syracuse, New York. I spoke with him just the other night after searching for him for 10 years. I don't think the car was ever cut down as when I purchased it from Gerry Goguen, it was still very much a complete (although tired) PB Airline Coupe. I have a photo of the car in about 1971 at Brands Hatch and it was pretty much all together then.

I simply would like to fill in as much pre-1973 history as I can.

Cheers,

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2010 :  16:55:23  Show Profile
Having looked at the rather curious car in the September 2010 "Safety Fast", it certainly looks like an Airline Coupe which has been cut down. The tips are the recessed spare tire, the unusual shape of the door hinges, the style of the bonnet catches, and the line of the doors which look like they have been cut down to the shape of the Airline Coupe belt line. The tail lights look as if they are early TD style having been grafted onto the rear fenders. The color of the car is very light, perhaps white, which my Airline was. It was the only factory painted white Airline. However, mine was never cut down and retained its full sheet metal tub. Curious though. Perhaps if someone can identify the car, I may be able to provide more information, as I retain significant information on many Airline Coupes.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR

Edited by - LewPalmer on 11/10/2010 17:10:21
Go to Top of Page

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2010 :  17:14:34  Show Profile
Hi Lew,

Yes, the car featured in September Safty Fats is certainly Roger's car: I responded to the request for more data, and, of course, knew it to be your car. It is possible that Gerry Goguen had some restoration work done, possibly when Colin Tieche was "doing" the N-type Airline. I think Kieth Portsmore was doing some body frame parts. Roger's car was No 10 on the Register, which is probably why I remember him, but he is probably much older these days!!!

The name Dickinson rings a bell, although I wouldn't swear to it now.

Nice to know the car is in good hands. Had it not been for enthusiasts like Roger, the car would not have survived into the seventies: it was a good thing we were around!

All the best,

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2010 :  18:13:50  Show Profile
Safty Fats? I know some of us are no longer young and slim, but........
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2010 :  18:57:07  Show Profile
Thanks, Mike. It is curious that it would appear to be Roger's car, as the body as I received it was very definitely not cut down. Both the wood and metal appeared to be intact, albeit fairly poor. I suppose it is possible that some work had been done, but I certainly found no evidence that was the case. But it shows a white car, and mine was white at one time. As far as my records go, it was the only factory delivered Airline painted white.

In speaking with Dr. Dickinson he did say there had been some restoration work done in the UK prior to him taking ownership, but he was unhappy with the work and sold the car within a couple of months. So who knows?

One minor correction: the Register number is 11, not 10.

I sure would like to find Roger, if he is still alive, as probably only he can fill in the details.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR

Edited by - LewPalmer on 11/10/2010 18:57:55
Go to Top of Page

Nick Dean

United Kingdom
444 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2010 :  15:20:44  Show Profile
Lew, I knew Roger well in the 60s, and he has always travelled a
lot with his work etc, but through another old MMM friend have
found his last address nr Cambridge.
I have sent a note to him today so we will see of any results, I
will let you know in due coarse of any info.
Regards, Nick.

N A Dean
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2010 :  22:28:35  Show Profile
Many thanks, Nick.

To follow up, the car in "Looking Back" in the Sept. 2010 issue of "Safety Fast" is claimed (per Mike Allison) to be the Roger Balsom car. If it is the same car I now own, it may have had a different body placed on it. I do know my car was originally white, so maybe there is some credence in all of it.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

Nick Dean

United Kingdom
444 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  15:31:28  Show Profile
Hi Lew, I spoke to Roger today after 40 years, what a surprise. He is
just back from Peru, and has some good info on your car.
His E mail is: rjb78@admin.cam.ac.uk

good luck, Nick.

N A Dean
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  19:37:02  Show Profile
Many thanks, Nick. I found an email for another Roger Balsom, but it was not the right one. So I'm grateful for this.

Cheers,

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  18:51:00  Show Profile
I have now communicated with THE Roger Balsom and he has confirmed that the photo in Safety Fast Sept. 2010 in the "Looking Back" page is, indeed, PB0560 when he owned it - a cut down Airline Coupe.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  19:25:27  Show Profile
Hi Lew,

What else was he able to add? Does his ownership fill in the entire gap up to 1973?

Regards,
Cat
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  21:32:10  Show Profile
Not too many details yet. Roger has promised more to come. But he did confirm that was his car, so we know it was a cut-down Airline Coupe at one time.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000