Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Claymills pumping station
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  18:16:57  Show Profile
Yesterday I drove to Burton on Trent in my PA to visit the Claymills pumping station. The Victorian facilities with four beam engines was closed in 1971 but is now operated by a trust which took over the site in 1993. They have restored two of the four beam engines plus more than twenty small steam engines which drove various pumps, a DC generator and other pieces of equipment. Apart from the beam engines the most impressive facility is the workshop which they still use today to maintain and restore the site. They have a lot of the original machines many of which they use today powered by the line shafting.

Yesterday was supposed to be a non-steam day but fortunately for me there were special celebrations for the 50th birthday of one of the trust's directors. A very interesting site which I can thoroughly recommend to all of you who are interested in Victorian engineering.

The drive there and back was also very enjoyable as it was a beautiful sunny day if rather cold. Many layers required to keep warm.

Peter

PS website is http://www.claymills.org.uk/

Edited by - Peter Scott on 07/11/2010 18:18:16

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2010 :  16:22:06  Show Profile
Peter,

Thanks for that - sounds an interesting place to visit and is only a 2 hour run from Cambridge. I'm not sure if Ian Davison checks this Forum, but I will drop him a line as I know he is interested in Victorian engineering.

John R
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2010 :  16:45:28  Show Profile
John

And a similar distance from you is Papplewick, which is north of Nottingham. This is a comprehensively restored water pumping station which I can thoroughly recommend. Even my wife and son, neither of whom knows one end of a spanner from the other, enjoyed visiting Papplewick, as it is Victorian engineering at its most beautiful. Its web site is not the best but does give a reasonable impression. http://www.papplewickpumpingstation.co.uk/

Peter

PS Claymills is very pre-war car friendly. They will find room for you to park on-site rather than in the off-site car park, even though space is limited.
Go to Top of Page

bloodysalmon

Spain
1482 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2010 :  10:59:34  Show Profile
I can recommend Papplewick too as only being a stones-through away from me ... can smell the stoked coal sometimes ! Fantastic Forestry and Woodland Trust walks too.

Chris Blood (D0407, D0430 & F0753)
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2010 :  15:16:03  Show Profile
Thanks Peter and Chris.
Sounds like we have two jolly outings to arrange!
John R
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  22:35:54  Show Profile
We have a "Humphery"(?) pump on our River Murray which used to be used for irrigation of orchards/vineyards. It was imported from the UK where it was used for many years to transfer water from the Thames (to storage?). The inflow of water acts as a piston and coke gas was ignited to force the water out. I think that it pumps some tons of water at each stroke. It is impresssive to see and hear running, all of the surroundings shake! It now runs, on "special days", on "bottled" gas.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2010 :  09:08:50  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bahnisch

We have a "Humphery"(?) pump on our River Murray which used to be used for irrigation of orchards/vineyards. It was imported from the UK where it was used for many years to transfer water from the Thames (to storage?). The inflow of water acts as a piston and coke gas was ignited to force the water out. I think that it pumps some tons of water at each stroke. It is impresssive to see and hear running, all of the surroundings shake! It now runs, on "special days", on "bottled" gas.

Very interesting, I had never heard of such a pump before. There is, of course, lots of info on the net. See http://www.humphreypump.co.uk/operating%20cycle.htm
I see that the model was displayed at Claymills.

By the way, it is spelt "Humphrey" after the designer Herbert Albert Humphrey.

Perhaps we should ask Nick for a 'Victorian engineering'. forum

Peter

Edited by - Peter Scott on 11/11/2010 19:41:54
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2010 :  09:32:01  Show Profile
Peter, Many thanks. It is at Cobdogla (an aboriginal word/place, don't know the meaning), near the town of Barmera (another aboriginal word/place) and still in working order.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000