Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Fake cars
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

rossk

United Kingdom
495 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2010 :  19:58:45  Show Profile
I saw this article today and thought it was worth sharing!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1322087/Classic-car-enthusiast-wins-84k-425k-Bentley-FAKE.html

Ross Keeling

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2010 :  21:07:41  Show Profile
There are quite a few historic Triple M cars on the Register that fall in to the same category as this Bentley but for some strange reason have been accepted. Atleast this car has the front part of an original chassis which might be considered more preferable to having some of the back part of a chassis like at least two rare cars on our Register !

TH
Go to Top of Page

sas

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2010 :  22:30:28  Show Profile
In my opinion it boils down to a simple case of caveat emptor.

Is it the seller attempting to deceive the buyer, or the buyer attempting to deceive themselves the buyer is not trying to deceive them.
I know nothing of the Bentley marque, unlike Terry, but looking at the daily mail piece as in the first post, if the Womans husband was such an expert on this type of motor, he would surely have steered her well clear. Obviously not as knowledgble as he thought, or was he also trying to deceive himself, or maybe his wife.
To me she seems to have got away with a plead of ignorance, aggravated by her speculative purchase turning into a financial noose which she could never afford, deceiving herself from the moment she first set eyes on this car.
Unfortunately at the end of the day she deceived herself into thinking that her purchase would produce a nice financial return, and frankly these idiots deserve their come upance. Alas it has also shown the greed which drives some to think deception can pay dividends.
At the end of the day, i do not care.
I think it is called human nature. However i do not want to deceive you all into thinking we are all to be tarred with the same brush, and feel confident most of us can smell bull**** at 20 paces.
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2010 :  10:16:32  Show Profile
Someone told me that "replica" K3's (about 1800 cc's) are accepted at the MG Silverstone International (or used to be?). Surely this cannot be true?
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2010 :  11:32:00  Show Profile
I Think this case is more than caveat emptor,I agree that would be the case if you were buying from a back street garage or privately. but when you go to a company that is regarded to be at the top of the tree when it comes to the Bentley marque you expect to be buying what you are told and not some dodgy replica. Nothing against replicas if thats what you want but you should be told that it is a replica unless of course Mr Mann had been decived himself,He knew that if he sold it as a replica he would not have got the same money as selling it as an original speed six but he admits he built the replica himself so he knew and kept it from the buyer. This was always going to come back and bite him at some time in the future. So another so called specilast dealer who's reputation his been exposed to not be quite what we all thought. Perhaps this ladies husband felt the same, why look into the cars history after all its being sold by one of the worlds top dealers in the Marque that should be all we need to know! I think Mr Mann got all he deserved a genuine Speed six Bently would have made that profit where as a fake would not.
Rodney
Go to Top of Page

Ross Kelly

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  23:41:15  Show Profile
Bob,

So we all know who to avoid, why beat about the bush, name names and those cars that are not kosher. This forum has once again degenerated to Chinese whispers about cars and suppliers and I think it deserves better than that.

The value of the cars are set by the market place if potential buyers think the cars are over priced they will not sell. Some people buy cars as investments or to look at in the garage, personally buy them to use and if at the end of the day they have increased in value all the better.

cheers
Ross Kelly
J3763

Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  12:57:49  Show Profile
Whilst "Chinese whispers" are not to be recommended, any hint of an accusation against anyone on this forum will be met with the editor's pen. If anyone reading this forum needs advice regarding the provenance of a Triple-M MG, then an email to the Registrar is a good place to start. I'm afraid Caveat Emptor rules supreme. If you have a grievance with someone, this forum is NOT the place to air it! The law of libel awaits the any such rash act.
Nick

Experiment is a poor substitute for experience.
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  16:35:00  Show Profile
I see Ross is very keen on "kosher" MMM cars.
Can he let us know which bit has had the "snip" to acheive this wondrous state!!!
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  18:45:23  Show Profile
I once had a friend who decided his TC has missed its bar mitzvah and briss, so he gathered all the neighbors, had a short street parade, and retired to the garage where they grabbed a hack saw and shortened the tailpipe by an inch.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

Ross Kelly

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  22:12:21  Show Profile
Usually snip off the carbie and add supercharger does this make it "kosher"

ross K
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  23:05:35  Show Profile
It did seem rather unusual that the Bentley Drivers Club valued the car at £550,000. What's that all about???!!!!

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

F0355

South Africa
298 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2010 :  06:44:37  Show Profile
Off topic but Lew, good one! In our neck 'o the woods we say that our Jewish friends are the most optimistic race on earth....why? Because they hack off an inch before they know how long it's actually going to grow.....

Peter Steyn
Johannesburg, RSA
Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2010 :  10:04:45  Show Profile
Hi Everyone,

Just as an after thought on the this subject.I remembered a famous case of Old Number One (Bentley not MG).

I remember that one "Old Car" mag said that the only part of the original Bentley was the gearbox cover. For anyone interested in the case and its outcome Google- The case of old Bentley number one.

Allow 30 mins at least to read and understand the various rebuilds, repairs and reasons.

After reading, think of the repairs and restoration of your own cars.

I think that this latest Bentley case hinges on how it was described at the point of sale.

As has already been mentioned "Triggers Broom" comes to mind.

Hope that you find the web site interesting.

Russ
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2010 :  15:57:59  Show Profile
For those not in the club - so as to speak - a briss is the ceremony where the deed is done - usually at a very early age, I might add.
Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2010 :  16:53:48  Show Profile
Hi All

I attended a Bris on one occasion, me the only gentile, only men at the actual ceremony all smoking great big cigars and congratulating the Father, I was green in no time, I think that I felt worse than the child!!

I don@t expect cigars are smoked these days.

Russ
Go to Top of Page

sas

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2010 :  17:16:13  Show Profile
Frankly, this id business with cars seems rather farcical.
Actually, not rather, but more like extraordinary, and with existing threads on both metallurgy to establish a cars true id and serial numbers to guarantee the provenace of a car, not only MG's i hasten to add, the whole issue revolves around a game of cat and mouse where frankly, in my opinion, no one is prepared to stand up and be counted.

I get the impression you can pull whatever stunts you like to give a car respectability. So, as i maintain, caveat emptor rules, big time, so be warned. Keep your hand on your wallets deep in your pocket, and that way you need not even buy a celebratory drink, or ten, you may be congratulating your decision too soon.
And anyway, who exactly are the experts, i have a sneaking suspicion that ex means was, and spert is what you were capable of as a youngster.

Sean
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000