Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MMM: Toys for Rather Rich Boys?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  13:35:56  Show Profile

Apropo MMM MGs;

'Robin Lawton (Trader)' is offering two MMM cars in this month's VSCC Newsletter.

A modified but rebuilt '35 PA, BXW 869, at £ 29,950.

A '32 J.2., ALG 182, also rebuilt, at £ 34,500.

The PA is apparently 'capable of cruising at 65mph comfortably', the J.2. 'particularly taut and lively.'

Relatively cheap?
Go to Top of Page

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  14:40:37  Show Profile
I've watched this topic with great interest over the past few days and have resisted, until now, any input.

I was lucky enough? to have been given my J2, it had been my Father's. Given to me, pretty much in pieces and plenty missing it took 11 years of stress, failure, empty wallets and gallons of tears to get it back together. Since then it has had a new J engine installed to replace the P engine I had with the kit of bits. All said, I would hate to add it all up!

Was it worth it? God yes!!

The values of our cars have increased, arguably above average, over the past 2 years or so. Lack of available cars and dealer speculation being worthy reasons in my view. However, classic car values have risen across the board, some to extremes. Some cars seem to be being offered for sale speculatively, just to see if they sell or not at "market values"

Onno, I feel for you but there are cars coming to the market, in various states. If you are that keen then the right car will come along eventually. Be patient my friend. There is no doubt that the very high quality of parts coming to the market is enhancing cost prices of reengineered parts. All worth it in my view as reliability is key.

Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  15:55:33  Show Profile
Well said Robin - and a very nice J2 it is too!
Regards David
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  16:43:22  Show Profile
I also noticed the two MMM cars being offered for sale in the VSCC Bulletin by Robin Lawford and I agree Bob, they both look to be on the lower end of the price scale, especially if they are as good as the description given. However, did you see the advert on the back page of the current copy "The Automobile" from Richard Edmonds, Auctioneers, based at Chippenham in Wiltshire. The advert included what looks like a very respectable J2 which apparently sold at the recent Castle Combe Auction for £15,500. Now that really is getting into Austin 7 territory. Even if it had a Ford engine it would a good buy for someone willing to gather together the bits for an original J2 engine.

Best of luck Onno. Keep looking.
Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

MGB

Netherlands
114 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  18:04:34  Show Profile
@ Onno,

Surely there must be someone in your region with a MMM that can take you along?

sorry, English is not my native language
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1045 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  19:26:44  Show Profile
MGB

That is not the problem
I got to drive a supercharged J2 recently (for that i am the owner eternaly grateful) and had the pleasure of several passenger and driving experiances in MMM cars.
Though that is a good alternative it is no substitute for a MMM car to care for of my own.

All
Thank you for the support!
Sorry if i sound a bit harsh sometimes but my Dutch directness comes in to play when i am passionate about something.
I have no doubt i will once have my own pre-war Midget, Magna or Magnette.

Regards,
Onno

Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  20:04:21  Show Profile
Hello Onno

Have you considered an M type at all - these are usually advertised at a price below the J2s?

A well sorted M type can perform really well and be fun to drive. There was an M type competing at this year's VSCC Prescott Hillclimb where it performed very well.

The J2 and the PA referred to by Bob have been on the market for quite a few weeks. Perhaps the market for our type of cars has softened a bit.

Regards George

Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1045 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  05:53:21  Show Profile
George
I am sorry to say that the support from my girlfriend stops at the M.
Having sat in one she just does not get the feel and spirit as with the later ones.
Since i am verry happy with her support and i will have to respect her only demand.

Onno
Go to Top of Page

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  15:11:29  Show Profile
Hi Onno

I can point you in the direction of a very well priced D Type if you are interested?

Regards

Robin
Go to Top of Page

sas

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  21:43:04  Show Profile
Hello Onno,
How does an MG PA for a mere £14995 sound to you.
Yes, there is one for sale now at this price, but you had better move quickly, i feel sorely tempted, as would anyone with their thinking hat on.
Think positive and fore go all that Christmas excess and get yourself a PA you can make your own.
Sean
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2539 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  23:35:50  Show Profile
Onno, I don't know if this is the one Sean is talking about but have a look at this; http://www.nutleysports.co.uk/MGPAProject.htm. The front apron hints at the car having some history, but may just have been someone's whim.

Nutley Sports is in East Sussex so once the snow has gone it's not too far from either Dover or Gatwick.

Good luck,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Alan Bertram

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  23:57:33  Show Profile
Hello Onno

The PA for sale at £14995 is a car that has been totally dismantled and in store for about 7 years. Have a look at www.nutleysports.co.uk Their current stock list show a pretty red PA Library picture, click on further details and pictures. I have never before seen a car so fully dismantled, definitely a restoration project!!

I think you are probably looking for something a bit more complete?

They also have a 1947 MG TC generally dismantled for restoration also at £14995 but at least an engine and gearbox appear to be present in the pictures!

Regards,Alan

PA 0397

Edited by - Alan Bertram on 03/12/2010 14:32:23
Go to Top of Page

mgptype

United Kingdom
709 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  01:33:59  Show Profile
Hi Onno,

I think this PA is certainly not for the faint hearted restorer.
There is so much missing i.e. gearbox and remote, flywheel & clutch, no cam stands or sump, cant see a steering column and all the instruments and the cut out are wrong no windscreen + many other bits missing.

All the bits that are missing are hard and expensive to find but having said that it would be nice to see another MMM car back on the road again.

My PA could have easily ended up as spares but I persevered with it and got there in the end. (see before with many parts missing and after pictures below)

Was it worth the time and expence, Yes it certainly was.

Fred...
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1045 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  09:31:06  Show Profile
Lets just say that no project is to big for me.
But this PA has not got the right ballance for me.
To mutch expensive/rare mechenical parts missing and strange to say but the wood bit looks to good for me!
All with keeping the price in mind which is still a lot of money.

But thank you all for the help!

Onno
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  16:48:43  Show Profile
I've just had a look at the PA in http://www.nutleysports.co.uk/ and I think we could start an interesting game of "spot what's missing" followed by "spot what's wrong"! I've never seen instruments like that on a P type. Also interesting to see a dashboard drilled for lightness - must go like the clappers with all that weight saved :-).

Colin.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000