Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Which C Type ?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2010 :  17:06:18  Show Profile
Interesting recent posting on the VSCC website.

"Touring in Ireland in a couple of A7s in the late 60's we were told of an old car owned by a local farmer near Cork and were asked if we would like to see it. Having already bought a few vintage spares we obviously said yes. We followed our imformant and arrived at a farm. The farmer was pleased to show us the car. The barn doors were opened and in there was a MG C Type with Eldridge cowl. Apparently it had been owned by his brother and raced by him prewar. We were asked if we would like to buy it cheaply. We discussed the pros and cons and decided it would be too difficult to get home. We told him and then he said is there anything we want from it? As Austin people there wasnt much but the headlights would be useful so we took them!"

Just wondered which car this relates to?

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2010 :  12:50:58  Show Profile
Hi Andrew,

C-types that -to my knowledge, I must add- are known to have been in Ireland for at least some time, are 259, 272 and 287. No idea which one this could be though!
C0259 was supposedly back in England, in Kendal, by 1935, so can't really be it, 272 was in Northern Ireland by 1961 and presumably could have been anywhere in between 1932 and 1961 and 287 was definitely in Northern Ireland during the 1960s, but then, Cork isn't Northern Ireland, is it?!

Can you help me trace the original post on the VSCC forum? I tried, but couldn't find it. With any luck the poster may remember the farmer's name, which might help.

Thanks,
Cat

Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2010 :  15:54:11  Show Profile
Wasn't there something, about 10 years or so ago, about somebody getting a C-type "out of an Irish bog" or "out of an Irish field".
I seem to remember that it was something to do with David Potter of the Vintage register - could this be the same car.
The '09 Register has him owning C0287
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000