Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Official. It makes you deaf!
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2011 :  17:02:30  Show Profile
According to scientists in an article in today's Daily Mail (read it online), prolonged 'open' use of modern convertibles such as SAABs and Porsche Boxsters at as little as 55 mph might leave drivers with permanent hearing damage.

Our MX-5 seems almost silent in comparison with the PA, criticised even in 1934 for its noise levels. Conversely, the MG is quieter with the hood down, but post-3500 rpm, silent it isn't.

Must we sell off the MMM for reasons of 'elf 'n safety? Or don't the older MMM owners notice the sound?

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2011 :  18:34:38  Show Profile
Don't notice the sound, too deaf

Regards
David D
Go to Top of Page

Terry Hartley

United Kingdom
279 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2011 :  16:39:17  Show Profile
Take away the noise and you take away a big chunk of the pleasure. A Triple-M car bounding along at over 3000rpm on a norrow country lane with dry stone walls on both sides, absolute bliss!
Must go now, the wife is waving at me....I think she wants my attention.
Terry
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  14:21:22  Show Profile
Did the article say what kind of damage? Mild deafness is an obvious possibility, but I appear to be suffering slightly from tinnitus, which can be quite distracting. So far it's not a problem, but I'm concerned that my favourite hobby (no - not that ) may be making it worse. It sometimes appears to be worse after a long run, but then settles down again to a light background hiss. Anyone else experience this?

Colin

PA 0613 - MG3242
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  19:21:30  Show Profile
A lifetime with old or infirm open cars hasn't hit my hearing, nor has the company for some years of the magic numbers .22, .303, 7.62 and 5.56. ( anyone who used them will know why ear-defenders became obligatory with the third of those! )

Perhaps it depends on the pitch of the noise or the velocity of the object?

My MMM won't do 120 mph, unlike Rodney's, but it makes my ears sing, a phenomenon which doesn't present itself with the Golf or Mazda (on my private test-track, you understand.), or the former BMW and Porsche in the days when their badges were more select.

First ride of the year on the '32 recumbent yesterday. Equally difficult to drive.
Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2011 :  11:29:10  Show Profile
Sorry but following years of first being driven in and then driving open cars I can not hear what you are writing without my glasses on!
Regards David
Go to Top of Page

WAAF Winsum

Australia
39 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2011 :  12:04:48  Show Profile
Spend 1,500 hours flying Shackletons (4 x RR Griffons) and you will know what noise is! Ears would ring for about 4 to 6 hours after a trip. Good result though, my MGs do not sound noisy at all and much of what the good lady says goes right past me. No doubt there are one or two ex Coastal Command folk out there who can verify this.
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2542 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2011 :  12:16:42  Show Profile
I didn't know WAAFs aviated in those days Robin!

Tell me, is the old chestnut true that you could tell if a Shack pilot was a captain or co-pilot by giving him a hearing test?

Cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000