Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 PA Sump filter nut
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

taterry

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2009 :  17:07:01  Show Profile
I know that you all are at Silverstone now, but perhaps next weekend someone can give me a source for the Dowty seal washers that will fit the sump filter nut on my N type...
Tnx
Terry in Oakland, CA
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3251 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2009 :  18:37:25  Show Profile
Terry,

Not a bad idea, however I made my own washer out of a 1/16" thich piece of teflon. A 4"X12" sheet of material was $2.00 at the local plastics store.

Did you ever find a source for the wiper arms?

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

taterry

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2009 :  20:57:33  Show Profile
Lew, I don't see how teflon would seal much better than the fiber washer....?? I think the Dowty washer would be much better...right now I'm hoping Gasolia will seal it. Re wiper arms, no, I've never found a source for the old 30's style...I'm using T types on the NA now.
Cheers
Terry
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1579 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2009 :  22:52:59  Show Profile
Terry, Peter Scott's July 2005 posting identified that Dowty seals can be obtained from http://www.hydrasun.com/index.htm - look under Adaptor and Pipe Fittings - Sealing Products - BSPP, Bonded Seal.
There's a whole range of imperial and metric sized Dowty/Ashton Bonded Seals.

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  04:45:19  Show Profile

As a matter of interest, what size BSP is the thread? From earlier postings on this topic it was stated to be 1-1/8" BSP.

I beleive that 1-1/8" BSP doesn't exist. Would it be 1-1/4" BSP?

Here's a direct link to Bruce's suggested site.

http://www.hydrasun.com/catalogue/page.aspx?i=1194&s=0006012080

Brian.

Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  10:00:09  Show Profile
Terry

Most bearing stockists sell seals including Dowty seals. So I would suggest that you try your local bearing stockist.

However for a Dowty seal to be effective you need the face of the casting to be very good right up to the inner edge. An old ally casting may not have a clean enough face for the Dowty seal to work.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2009 :  19:32:05  Show Profile

Hi,

I seem to have missed this thread getting ready for Silverstone. The nut is 1 1/8 BSW or the BSF equivalent. The use of sockets or Stilsons to my mind is not the way to go.

I bought a large BSW ring spanner for buttons at a auto jumble and then cut it in two with an angle grinder . See picture. The length is such that you can undo the large nut with the car on the ground and also the leverage is such that there is less danger of striping the thread of the sump and the union. The ring is also cut so that it will just slip over the sump to pump oil pipe . The ring allows you to hold the large sump nut whilst tightening the sump to pump unions . It is not unknown to the pipe to twist and get damaged .

Hope this helps? ąą regardsą.. Terry
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2009 :  09:12:10  Show Profile
Peter its economics, lots of people use 50mm but 17/8, not too much call for those these days. Unless of course you happen to own a T/MMM.
Rodney
ps hope you and yours are fit and well.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000