Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Warning: ENV Gearbox....
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MH

Germany
199 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  21:40:15  Show Profile
Hi Boys,

it is a swindler:

http://london.craigslist.co.uk/pts/2099643443.html

Regards
manfred

doctorbob

United Kingdom
145 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  08:59:29  Show Profile
I seem to remember this gearbox 'for sale' in the past!
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  12:47:07  Show Profile
What really annoyed me when this came up before was that both Police and Trading Standards could not or would not do anything about it...."Money has to change hands before we can do anything"..

Since a 'seller' can use a name which is not his own and an address of convenience it seems a perfect way to make a vast amount of very easy money.

If the 'seller' does not provide the goods I gather it is a 'breach of contract' leaving the 'buyer' to seek his own money by by Civil courts with the loss of more money the only certainty while the 'seller' goes on 'trading'.

I strongly suspect this particular example is only the tip of a very large iceberg.But then again it may be just another genuine MG ENV gearbox after all.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 20/01/2011 12:48:24
Go to Top of Page

MH

Germany
199 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  14:35:19  Show Profile
I now got to know from a friend of mine that even collection and cash-payment on the spot (Elgin/Scotland, about 1000 miles from the buyer`s home) was not possible to arrange, as the seller insisted on posting and pre-payment by banktransfer. Other friends suppose: "If you cannot collect something offered, it does not really exist"! Are they right?

Regards
manfred
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  16:16:55  Show Profile
Manfred I think your friends are right.Why should an honest seller refuse to meet the buyer?

This is quite a clever operation, for the individual who claims to be selling the gearbox not only copied a genuine ad from eBay but conned the genuine seller into sending detailed photographs.When you ask the 'Craigslist' advertiser for more detailed pictures he shares the pictures from the original genuine seller such as this one -

'1294' actually sold and went to Japan many months ago.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2011 :  17:52:30  Show Profile
Sadly the police do not seem interested in any illeagle transaction unless it's drugs,or they are going to make money from the arrest/nick. A friend of mine was done over, he found out where the guy with the stolen credit cards lived, but the police told him they did not have time! My mate supplied a six grand bike over the phone sent it off to Hull, and had no come back!

Rodney
Go to Top of Page

peterfenichel

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2011 :  15:17:38  Show Profile
In the case of Craigs List you can "Flag" disreputable sellers... CL usually very good at then removing such adverts quickly from their website. Problem is that does not prevent crooks from re-posting bad adverts. I guess the real lesson is never send money in advance or use paypal.

Peter Fenichel
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000