Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 A pleasant surprise
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gordclark

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  17:36:22  Show Profile
I am new to MMM ownership (PA 0921). Having owned T-Series MGs for nearly 60 years, I have been accustomed to paying T-Series prices for the plentiful T-Series parts, both new and used.

However with MMM ownership, comes an entirely new world with new and significantly unrelated (read ... elevated) prices.

I want to thank a contributor to this forum for making available a pair of (original) PA side lamps that fit nicely within my retirement budget.

Gord Clark
Rockburn, Qué.

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  19:31:20  Show Profile
Gord

It took me two years to get used to MMM prices.

One member told me that you have two problems when you need a new part, finding it and paying for it. He concluded that the first problem is a big enough problem for you so you have to let your bank manager worry about the second problem.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1045 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  20:05:24  Show Profile
I am still in the proces of getting used to the prices.
The shift from my "66 midget is a bit big

A pair of hinges blew my butget for the first month, good i anticipated a long (5 to 10 years) build

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  22:26:03  Show Profile
Hello Gord

Welcome to the MMM world.

The main problem is that there were few MMM cars made compared to the T types where many of the parts are interchangeable. Also, the far east make many parts for the later models although there is no commercially viable mass production market for them in the MMM world which is a blessing when you look at some of the quality!

Production runs on MMM parts are generally small, in line with demand and it is often not cost effective to have thousands of identical components left on a shelf which will then stay there for years. Also, the set-up cost for limited production runs whether it be pattern costs, machining set-up costs including costs for manufacture of jigs, minimum batch runs, general tooling costs etc and the reinvestment of funds to bring more new parts to the market, all of this has a built in cost attached.

Sadly, MMM parts can never be as cheap as everyone would like but the plus side is that MMM cars generally retain a significantly higher value than the more plentiful T types, not that many of us would ever like to sell our cars!

Regards

Rich

Vintage MG Parts

Edited by - Richard Hardy on 01/02/2011 22:27:44
Go to Top of Page

gordclark

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  22:32:20  Show Profile
I understand the reasons, but it still doesn't soften the blow.

Gord Clark
Rockburn, Qué.
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  22:34:00  Show Profile
On the other hand, gents, is that many, if not most, parts are available for Triple-M cars. Ever try to buy a newly cast engine block for a T-series car?

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1045 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2011 :  05:49:51  Show Profile
And they are still cheap compared to bugatti parts

Better expensive then not for sale

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2011 :  12:43:04  Show Profile
It could be a case of Karma though, 60 years ago the better off bought the "newer" T Types & the poorer students had to make do with the MMMs!

JH
Go to Top of Page

leafrancis14

United Kingdom
323 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2011 :  14:56:51  Show Profile
Whenever I think that a part for an old car is expensive, I always have a look at the prices for parts for new cars. It never fails to make me feel that I'm actually getting a bargain.
Go to Top of Page

Gordon

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2011 :  16:37:50  Show Profile
Spot on! I was quoted by Renault in S.Africa the equivalent of £100 for a standard oil seal that I can buy for under £10 in the UK from a motor factor and that Renault UK wanted £30!!

Gordon
Go to Top of Page

Colin Morse

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2011 :  22:26:51  Show Profile

It never fails to surprise me what is available "off the shelf" for our MMM cars. We seem to be living in a golden age regarding both the quality and range of new spare parts, and I feel that we should all be very grateful for those who are prepared to manufacture and distribute these items. Richard gives a fair description of what is involved, and when you take this into account, the prices are not unreasonable.

It is inevitable that original parts will become increasingly hard to find, and the future of our cars will depend on these suppliers. Together with this forum, what more could we ask for?

Colin Morse
Go to Top of Page

gordclark

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2011 :  23:01:57  Show Profile
Fortunately, over the years, I have made some good connections and with diligence, can usually find what I need at affordable prices; and, I'm astounded that one doesn't have to go to "the Mother Country" to meet one's needs. It really boils down to connections.

For instance, I am missing the entire speedo drive. To my amazement, one of the local chaps is having a bunch made including casting new bodies - one less problem. In another instance, I got the car w/o a seat-back. By cooincidence, a chap in the next village has just finished restoring his TC and he was going to chuck the seat-back. No, its not the same size, but easily cut down to fit the PA ... and on, and on ...

I'm learning ...

Gord Clark
Rockburn, Qué.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000