Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Stenciled numbers on side of block...
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

farley1

Canada
152 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  01:41:41  Show Profile
Hello everyone,

I include a photograph of the carb side of my PB's engine. On it is stenciled numbers. Would anyone know what it means? Numbering not the same as the engine serial number. If this topic has been addressed in the past please redirect me.
I took many pictures and this is the best one. I will try tomorrow and write down what is stenciled.
Thank you,
Ian M

george

United Kingdom
862 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  08:27:14  Show Profile
Hi my late ntype block had the same stencil but i never did find out why geoff
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3238 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  11:08:37  Show Profile
Hello Ian

Welcome to the forum.

I do not know what the numbers mean.

I have been looking through the L2 chassis files where I noted that on a couple of occasions engines were changed under warranty, and in one case the replaced engine was repaired and put back into stock. I wonder if the engine was identified as repaired with a very prominant stencil number?

Regards George
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  11:24:22  Show Profile
Don't laugh; I have no idea what they mean & am probably VERY wide of the mark, but the stencil almost looks military. Why they should want to mark a sports car engine is beyond me though.....

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  21:12:39  Show Profile

For what it's worth.

When a car was returned to the factory for any repairs or work an "Order For Repairs" was issued which detailed the work required and a "Service Order" number ws issued to the job.. As you well know these repair sheets are found within the factory chassis files.

A "bench Report" was completed further down the line of command, and this contained the owner's name, chassis number and the "Job Number", which was the same as the service number.

Consider if an engine was going to be dismantled (re bored?) perhaps it was given a stenciling of its Job Number? I understand that there would be better ways to identify it but,,,,?

As a matter of interest, the job order number last issued to my PA was 4313. Dated 2-6-34. It's difficult to identify how many digits are painted on the block in question from the photo but it seems to be four. It's certainly not a part number.

Just a thought.

Brian.
Go to Top of Page

Hornet

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  21:40:50  Show Profile
i have a 1935 New Hornet and when i removed the paint from the block with a steam cleaner i found a similar number stenciled on the crankcase but not on any other engines i have had in the last 20 years .the engine was 20 thou and new white metal -20 so it had been rebuilt at some time. it seems strange to paint a number on an engine which already has an engine number stamped in it .
Go to Top of Page

rodb

New Zealand
260 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  22:41:44  Show Profile
An NB in the workshop has a stenciled number also

RodBNZ
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2011 :  02:04:48  Show Profile

There goes my suggested theory regarding Job Numbers.
From what I can decipher from the N-type engine the stenciling reads 25/2/18 and the P-type has a similar structured set of numbers, I think.

The N seems to have "1045 A" as its engine number, this indicates that it wasn't re-bored, at least at the factory. However, they don't compare to work order numbers.

May I suggest to others who do post please indicate what the number is, it's much easier reading it at your end of the world.

Brian.

Edited by - Brian Kelly on 27/02/2011 03:57:58
Go to Top of Page

DSW

Germany
95 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2011 :  15:03:36  Show Profile
Perhaps on a totally different track: the blocks must have come in from the foundry in job lots for machining, etc. I could well imagine these being given a prominent number for shipping or stores purposes.
The engine number would surely be one of the last things to get stamped on when the machining was finished in the MG workshops.

David
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  10:09:42  Show Profile
A similar system was used by John Marston Ltd., makers of Sunbeam cycles and motorcycles, at the same period.

Bicycles were assembled to individual order around pre-made frames which had a batch and type identity number neatly white-painted under the bottom bracket. This ephemeral number is now lost, of course, following over 70 years of use, except in rare survivals.

If a sufficient quantity of block numbers can be noted, the MG system, perhaps originating at the foundry or with the MG storekeepers, may well become clear.
Go to Top of Page

farley1

Canada
152 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  03:11:00  Show Profile
Reporting back everyone.....
After staring at the numbers for awhile I came up with ?5/6/22.
Information that I received from Register noted an engine issue during warranty period with factory service order number 2881. As you can see in the photo all the original paint has disappeared yet the stenciled numbers remain. Wonder if stenciling was done before or after machining block then the top coat was applied? The color behind the red is white. Which goes along with Rods photos.
If nothing else its been fun reading everyones thoughts.
Have a good week,

Ian M
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000