Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 EX127
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ged Segrave

United Kingdom
206 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2011 :  15:05:53  Show Profile
I'm painting a picture in oils from a well known photograph. It shows Eyston at the wheel of EX127 being given a push start by three lads at Pendine. My photo is of poor quality so it's difficult to put detail into their faces. I think one of them is Reg Jackson.

Does anyone know their names so I can do a search.

McEvoy

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2011 :  16:25:50  Show Profile
Hello Ged,

Without seeing the poor quality picture I cannot be sure but if it is the one I'm thinking of and by reference to other photos taken at the same time I would suggest that you are correct in saying that one of them is Reg Jackson in dark zip fronted boiler suit, Frankie Taylor is wearing an off white! boiler suit and possibly the person in the whiter boiler suit is Bert Denly but not positive about this one.
I'm sure that there are many other historians in the Register who will be able to confirm or correct my suggestions.
Hope that we can see the results of your work on the Forum in due course
Bob
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2011 :  17:54:07  Show Profile

Ged,

As Bob noted without seeing the photo in question,,,.??
Perhaps some one can direct us to a reference veiwing point.

Two other photos of the same event;

One coming down the ramp to the sands. Five men plus Eyston, second left "Nobby" Marney, right- Reggie Jackson. Page 77 "MG" Ian Pemberthy.

Another photo Page 45, "MG Sports Cars" Malcolm Green.
Left. Reggie Jackson.
Second left "Nobby" Marney.
Back to camera, possibly Bert Denly.

None of the captions give the names but from various other photos the two named above are obvious. My money is on the third being Denly. Perhaps viewing these two photos can assist you in identifying the three in your photo.

As a matter of interest Maintaining The Breed, P.40. gives
an insight to the windscreen "design" by Jackson for this attempt.

Brian.
Go to Top of Page

Ged Segrave

United Kingdom
206 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2011 :  08:59:11  Show Profile
EX127
Many thanks Bob and Brian for the information. I've given up trying to attach the image to this posting
- lacking the computer skills- I have a friend who has copies of the books you mentioned, hopfully this will solve my problem.
Ged
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2011 :  13:35:24  Show Profile
Hi Ged,

If you let me have your email address (the webmaster says we can't contact each other through here at the moment), I can send you what I have. May be a bit better in quality than what you have, worth a try?
My address is info@mgworkshop.nl

Regards,
Cathelijne
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  11:01:45  Show Profile
Hello Ged,

Could I suggest that you get as much feed-back as you possibly can. Sad though it is, we ought to be able to be certain about identifying these guys who all were such a major part of M.G. history and development, yet we seem to have a variety of opinions as to their identities !
In the well known print of the team coming down the ramp at Pendine, "Jacko" is unmistakable in his zip front boiler suit and lock of hair threatening to fall over his eyes, but the chap at the rear offside wheel in the "also available in white" overalls is sometines identified as Frankie Tayler and in other prints as Nobby Marney. I think that it is definitely Marney. If you refer to Print XII in "Maintaining the Breed" which shows the team in the Pits at Montlhery, the same chap is identified (by John Thornley) as Marney (although the identical print appears in other books naming him as Tayler !) Print XII also gives an excellent image of Bert Denly, who was as can be seen a very small chap. (hence good for "power to weight ratio")

Other pictures I have seen of Frankie Tayler (which might well be included in the stuff that Cat is sending to you), shows him to have a more boyish appearance than Marney with distinctive half moon shaped cheeks brought about no doubt by him always grinning !

So if we now consider the "action shot" of the three lads pushing Captain George in EX127 at Pendine, we can all agree about "Jacko", the errant lock of hair having won, and I certainly cast my vote for Marney as being the one at the rear, half-heartedly pushing with one hand. This only leaves the one in the white overalls really putting his back into it. Logically, this suggests Denly. He worked for Eyston - not M.G. and he is usually seen closest to Eyston's ear, giving advice and making comments to his employer. But to me, he looks too big. As I have said before, Bert was really small, I think that there is a possibility that it is Sydney Enever who was of similar build to Denly with a similar hair-style, but a shade larger.

I look forward to hearing your final verdict after you have seen Cats contribution.

Cheers,

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

David R

United Kingdom
289 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2011 :  15:16:56  Show Profile
Ged

Never mind EX 127 - get that PA on the road!

David
Go to Top of Page

Ged Segrave

United Kingdom
206 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2011 :  17:16:11  Show Profile
David
Your more than welcome to come out to Allendale and give me a lift.
Many hands make light work. You could bring Docherty, He's got nowt
to do.
Ged
Go to Top of Page

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2011 :  12:14:39  Show Profile
Hi all,
Sorry, due to computer problems I have not been able to get onto the website for a month or two, but picking up on the offending picture, I have dug out my print of it, and on the reverse is written the names of the characters, identified by Reg Jackson himself, so that is all I can offer.
Reg has been correctly identified by you all, Nobby Marney is the one in dirty overalls right at the back, while he in white overalls is Frank Tayler (note the spelling!). Jacko said at the time he couldn't explain the "Persil" whiteness, but assumed that Frank wanted to look smart on the "track", which he always tried to be.
Hope that helps.
Best wishes, from a nice "clean" and virus free computer!
Mike
Go to Top of Page

Ged Segrave

United Kingdom
206 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  19:02:12  Show Profile
Work in progress
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1045 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  19:07:08  Show Profile