Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 137 MPH in a PA?? Are you nuts ??
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gordclark

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  06:16:19  Show Profile
I came across the below statement on Wikipedia see:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_P-type

" ... There was also a racing version, the MG PA Race 6, with a 6-cylinder inline engine. The smaller engine had 1272 cc, which delivered 72 bhp (54 kW). Furthermore, there was a 1.4-litre engine with supercharging, which increased the output to 170 bhp (127 kW). This brought the car to 220 km/h (137 mph)."

At first, my intent was to challenge the existence of an "MG PA Race 6", but upon reading further, I felt it would be more appropriate to challenge a PA capable of doing 137 mph.

Can anyone imagine driving a PA at 137 MPH??

Gord Clark
Rockburn, Qué.

Matthew Magilton

Australia
179 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  06:49:44  Show Profile
But its in Wikipedia, so it MUST be true!
LOL.

Matthew.
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1045 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  09:50:21  Show Profile
sorry
I could not stand it and it had to be removed!

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Otto

Germany
63 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2011 :  17:41:55  Show Profile
In the south of Germany a MG PA 6 Race is registered.
Look at Flickr or YouTube. Search item: MG PA 6 Race.

Regards
Otto
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1045 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  13:05:22  Show Profile
That car has been for sale recently and is a bitof a bitsa.

Not saying that it is not a nice MMM but is is not a factory build 6 cylinder P.
It is a p with an F type engine iirc

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
873 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  14:38:34  Show Profile
There seem to be two cars at least with the denomination MG PA 6 Race:

http://gschwendsoft.de/MG%20PA%206%20Race.htm

and also

http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/display/23315712
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3238 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  17:29:10  Show Profile
I believe the red P type was built in the UK by Tony Seber well known builder and racer of the very rapid Woseley Hornet specials.

The engine is a F type, the chassis is standard length P type with the rear axle mounted further back on the rear springs - the front axle is T type.

Tony raced the car at MG Silverstone in 2009.

George
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  17:49:23  Show Profile
Hi, I have a project car which I called 6 cylinder P type with an N engine . (Like a L2 but with a P body) John Seber knew about my car and I helped him acquire the P chassis for the car shown and few other parts. However, I had the chassis lengthened to L1 but John moved the handbrake and used an N engine the P chassis length. I think you will find that it has wider axels and Wolsey hydrolic brakes with wide wheels…I think John built 2 cars with different engines..Terry A
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
873 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  17:59:59  Show Profile
George,
but to me it looks as if the red car has the N-type engine ??
Gerhard
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3238 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  19:56:14  Show Profile
Hi Gerhard

You are correct, it does look like an N type engine. I am sure I have seen a car much like this one but with an F engine!

Terry, the back axle is definately 3ft 6 inches and is moved back on the rear spring to accomodate the longer engine within the standard P type chassis. John confirmed this to me when I first saw the car.

Regards George
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1045 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  20:26:41  Show Profile
So we can say for sure no P race 6 was ever made by MG.

Damn wiki they changed it back.
Apparently i am not thrust worthy enough to correct the entry.

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  22:15:23  Show Profile
Just shows what I've always thought is the flaw in the Wikipedia idea. The rest of the world will believe it while if it was true, SOMEONE on this forum would know about it.

How many other entries, of which you personally have no knowledge, are also incorrect?

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2011 :  13:13:53  Show Profile
Hi George,
John did use a 3’6” Triple-M rear axle case as the Morris/ Wolseley ones are too thick where it passes over the chassis. (The Morris /Wolseley cases form the basis of the N axle.) This also allowed the springs to be fitted to the rear of the car. HOWEVER, I believe John fitted the Wolseley rear hub and oil seal setup which is bolted to the flange of the Triple-M axel casing. This allowed the track to be altered to 3’9”. John showed me this, as at one time I was keen to do this, as I think it is better than the MG set up. I have pictures of this Wolseley arrangement but I cannot include them within this reply as they are on my PC at home. I am currently blogging from my isolation room having had my bone marrow transplant last week. I will be happy to supply the pictures at a later date. As I said before, the first car did have an N type engine but I know he also had an F type rolling chassis. The car was also featured in in MG Enthusiast. If you study the pictures of the construction you will see that there are differences from picture to picture. So I still believe John built two cars that were similar the first had the N engine and the second could have had an F type. The pictures within the MGE article had construction pictures of both……. Regards…… Terry
Go to Top of Page

gordclark

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2011 :  01:13:20  Show Profile
All these new revelations are interesting, and I don't care what engine is in it. But would anybody really want to drive e P-Type chassis at 137 mph??

Onno is right. Wikipedia has to be challenged.

Gord Clark
Rockburn, Qué.
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  10:40:39  Show Profile
Gord, I suppose it depends whether you are attempting to drive the beast in a straight line or steer it round corners ! Bear in mind that in 1933 Aubrey Ashton Rigby got his Robin Jackson tuned L2 (too long and too thin according to "Jacko") round the outer Circuit at Brooklands at well over 100 mph (faster than the Works L2s) which meant that he could have been topping 106 mph on the straight bits. Furthermore the Qs with a chassis which is not too far removed from the PA frame could get up to about 135 mph or so or 140 mph in the case of EX127. Bobby Kohlrausch also owned EX154 which was P based and whilst I don't know what fastest time he put up ith it, by reputation it was very, very fast. Many years ago I talked to George Harvey-Noble about his record breaking session at Brooklands in QA0258. He admitted that 130+ mph on the Byfleet Banking was quite hair-raising especially when the crank broke and the tyres were bouncing off the concrete every fifty yards or so !!

So - 137 mph in a six cylinder P Special ? I wouldn't want to try it, but I am sure that some brave souls would.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000