Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Speedo calibration
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Keith Wallace

United Kingdom
367 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2011 :  07:53:37  Show Profile
Just repaired and refitted the original speedo to my PB, but I am running on 450 x 19 tyres, how much allowance will I need to make to the speedo readings?

Many thanks
Keith

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2011 :  09:15:56  Show Profile
Easy - just stick a Satnav to the dash or take an iPhone and compare the electronic and mechanical readings. No power connection needed for this application.

IMHO the steering improves on tyres of the original size; The above test is still advisable if you live near speed cameras.

Go to Top of Page

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2011 :  09:48:11  Show Profile
Keith
I also have 450x19 tyres on my PB. I did the calculation some time ago and you need to multiply speed by 1.09 ie at4000rpm speed increases from 59mph to 63mph approx. This is based on my Michelins having rolling diameter of 30in o/d.
Someones bound to shoot me down on this!
Graham PB0602
Go to Top of Page

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2011 :  09:57:13  Show Profile
Keith
Sorry, I'm talking rubish. My rears are 475s not 450s !!
Graham
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3238 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2011 :  18:07:38  Show Profile
I am not 100% certain but I think this subject was covered in an old Yearbook. It starts with measuring the distance covered with one revolution of the tyre.

The SatNav solution is the easiest solution!

George.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2011 :  18:32:34  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by George Eagle

The SatNav solution is the easiest solution!

George.

err perhaps the easiest solution is to fit 4" tyres. Then not only would your speedo read correctly but your car would look right as well

Wow was I really that brave

Peter
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2011 :  09:45:12  Show Profile
In the absence of a SatNav or a rev counter another obvious solution is,on a quiet road, to travel with an assistant in mobile phone communication with a second assistant with a driver in a modern car driven at a steady speed. When it is clear both cars are moving at the same speed your assistant simply notes the speedometer readings of both cars.The test is repeated at different speeds.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2011 :  14:38:05  Show Profile

For an even more complex solution, try assistants with stopwatches, starting pistols and measured distances between markers.

Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  10:18:40  Show Profile
Joking apart,and Bob I am sure you are only teasing, the method I describe was in reality very quick,ultra simple,as accurate as a modern speedometer and a family 'happening' which I thought was fun.

I discovered my speedometer was accurate at 30mph and harmlessly inreasingly optomistic with higher speeds.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1564 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  13:12:58  Show Profile
A simple speedometer calibration check for road use where I suggest accuracy is required primarily for 30 and 60 mph; just use a quiet stretch of road with known mile posts (phone boxes on UK motorways are accurately positioned), and time between – most mobile phones now have a stopwatch facility................... 60 secs at 60mph & pro rata – easy!

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000