Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 nj 7843 [N902]
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

george

United Kingdom
862 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  15:54:22  Show Profile
I am trying to find out a bit of the history of NJ 7843 N902 ,I have owned it since 1975 [in bits] .Any of its history particularly the early 50s and one owner HJ Nichols would be a real help.If it helps it doesnt look much like an N as it was rebodied in the very early 50s in the style of an Ace cheers geoff

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  22:16:47  Show Profile
Hi Geoff,

No hard info, just an intriguing possibility.

One of the most prestigious model aircraft shops in the UK was Henry J Nicholls founded at 308 Holloway Rd, London just after the war. It ran for many years & Henry J had a great reputation for helpful & friendly advice to novices. I would guess he may well be a candidate for your HJ Nicholls.

In fact to complete the story it has been resurected as 308 Hobbies at the same address although I imagine HJ is no longer with us.

Good luck in your search,

Dave

Edited by - Oz34 on 12/03/2011 22:17:32
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  23:27:52  Show Profile

Certainly an achieved interesting character.

Here's a link I Googled.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1353685/Henry-Nicholls.html

What years did your Mr. HJN own the N-Type, George? Was he the original owner. I see that the NJ reg. is from East Sussex.

Good luck with the research.

Brian.
Go to Top of Page

george

United Kingdom
862 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2011 :  14:09:48  Show Profile
H J Nicholls appears to have owned the car early in 1953 and probably earlier he may well have commissioned the new body from williams and pritchard, but they didnt keep records. the car was raced at snetterton with the west essex car club [who could not help] The first owner was Dr pritchard on 1st jan 1936.oh well keep looking geoff
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2011 :  16:15:30  Show Profile
Geoff,

As I said above, 308 Hobbies is the spiritual successor to Henry J Nicholls & seem from their website, http://www.308hobbies.com to be very enthusiastic. It may well be that one or more of them knew HJ & possibly, if not that he actually owned the car, at least that he was the sort of guy who may well have done. That's certainly the impression I got from reading the obituary found by Brian. 308's phone number is 0207 609 7700.

Out of interest, Williams & Pritchard's premises were only 5 or 6 miles from 308 Holloway Road.

Is DVLA able to tell you the area in which the car was registered by him?

Good luck again,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2011 :  16:50:33  Show Profile

Geoff,

In case you are not aware;

The 1933 - 76 records for the NJ reg. (Sussex East) are held at the East Sussex Record Office. Tel. 01273 482349.

Coincidentally, Dave, Oz34 is located in Lewes. Perhaps a pint could work wonders. ??

Furthermore, the Telegraph obituary stated that he had two son's from his first marriage. Perhaps if and when you contact 308 some one might be able put you in touch with them. ??

You never know your luck.

Brian.
Go to Top of Page

george

United Kingdom
862 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  21:18:28  Show Profile
Oz 34 seems to have hit the nail on the head HJ Nicholls of model aircraft fame does appear to be one that owned my car in the early 50s he also appeared in autosport racing the car .Unfortunatly he died in 2000 and his sons no longer have any connection with the business, but the new owner remembers an old customer also now dead who told him of HJs once owning an old road going racing car .My problem now is to contact his son richard or grandson jamie I have phone numbers but all are out of date Richard was last known of in the west country Jamie in london .any ideas cheers geoff
Go to Top of Page

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  09:48:53  Show Profile
Hi all,

Here's one for the anoraks! I know nothing about the car in question, but NJ6991 was extensively trialled and rallied in pre-war days by R.W.G.Collins. I have so far not found a chassis number for this car. Collins was the first post-war owner of JB3852, the ex-Monte Carlo NA with which I have been associated for the past fifty years, and Collins was a pre-war employee of Parkinson Polson, MG dealers in Eastbourne and Lewes until around 1970.
There were quite a few regular competitors in that part of the world, and no doubt P-P supplied the majority of cars used by these people.

Sadly I lost contact with P-P after Harold Parkinson died around 1969, but they were extremely helpful to me in those days. Colin Butchers has helped me a lot recently tracing history of Sussex competitors. If the car in question was used pre-war, there is someone who can help. I have a fairly comprehensive data sheet (on Excel) which works for know Registration Numbers, and cross references these with chassis numbers, and with MMM numbers. I also have competitor lists for many pre-war events, and can help those with a genuine interest... it may not be much, but it is something. I need more correlation of owners with either Registration Numbers or Chassis Numbers, though.

Hopefully, in due course this will form a basis for the Register History of cars, as our late lamented friend Mike Hawke had done with the J2.

All the best, and above all: ENJOY USING YOUR CARS!!!
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1044 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  19:58:26  Show Profile
George

http://www.williamsandpritchardregister.co.uk/
Might be a nice place to contact.
They have done a lot of research and if they don't know your car they sure will be interested!

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000