Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Wing stay measurement for PA
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2011 :  14:40:18  Show Profile
My headlamp supports are not horizontal when lined up with the wing stay bracket. I am wondering if my wing stays are correct. Would someone please measure their wing stay for me from the hole in the silentbloc bush to the holes in the bracket where the headlamp support bolts. Hopefully this picture will make that clearer.

Nick

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2011 :  15:37:56  Show Profile
Nick,

PB0533's stay measures approx 12.25" on the outside of the curve (the side of your red line)

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1564 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2011 :  15:42:59  Show Profile
Nick, I had a similar problem with the misalignment of the new (ex S&V) wing-stay brackets on my P Type.

The sequence I used was as follows:
1. Build up the complete radiator and shell assembly complete with the inboard brackets for the inner ends of the headlamp ‘horizontal’ member.
2. Mount the complete radiator and shell assembly in the car and carefully centralise and make vertical.
3. Then mount the front wings without the curved stay brackets and find the hole positions required to anchor the outer ends of the headlamp members in a horizontal position ……… making sure to insert the oval-shaped rubber gasket - (see marked-up photos below).

PS. the upper wing-sidelamp fixings are not in place in the above.

4. Remove the welded brackets to the curved tubular members and re-make some new inverted ‘bowler hat’ shaped brackets ………….. keep these as loose parts.
5. Re-fit the curved tube wing stays and establish the correct position for the new loose ‘bowler hat’ shaped brackets so that their holes line-up with the holes in the wing and the 2 holes in the outer ends of the headlamp.
• I’m not sure why these ‘bowler hat’ shaped brackets need to be welded to the tubular wing stays ……….. with these clamped in position together with the upper wing fixing brackets to the sidelamps, welding seems unnecessary.

In achieving horizontal conditions for the headlamp mounting strut, I found that the dimension you request differs one side to the other.

Hope this helps.

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

Alan Bertram

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2011 :  15:51:14  Show Profile
Hi Nick,

I measured mine, which are off at the moment, and with the tape tight against the out side curve of the stay I get 13.5" from the center of the bracket to the center of the silent block bush.

I am fairly sure my headlamp support brackets are not completely horizontal either. I can take a straight line measurement(chord)if you want, but my wing stays appear to have a slightly tighter bend than than yours which I need to correct to my wing profile.

I have not been successful in obtaining an accurate drawing of a wing stay anywhere!

Regards,Alan

PA 0397
Go to Top of Page

mgptype

United Kingdom
709 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2011 :  16:28:29  Show Profile
Nick,

I also get 13.5" on my wing stays, car fitted with cycle wings.

Fred..
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2011 :  20:29:23  Show Profile
Thank you guys
Brilliant, helps to know it is not just me! My brackets are un-drilled but it is about 12.5" to the centre of the material. That explains why the headlamp brackets are not horizontal. I think I will follow Brian's plan and set up the wings before removing and refitting those brackets.
Nick
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000