Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Colmore Clutch Stop
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gordon

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  18:32:25  Show Profile
There was some discussion of this back in March 2008 in a thread "In defence of originalty".
I wonder if there has been any new knowledge/understanding of this in the last 3 years.

I remember that a 12/50 Alvis I had (50 years ago) had a clutch stop. As far as I remember the carden shaft had a fabric joint and attached to the rearmost rear face of the spider was a steel disc. There was a contacting lever with a strip of brake shoe lining type material that was pressed against the disc when the clutch was fully depressed. With the copious amount of oil leaks this was totally ineffective!!

Would the Colmore stop have been similar?

Gordon

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  19:18:04  Show Profile

There has been a quantity of words on this subject since it was raised in 2008.

What emerges on re-reading these is that no-one has produced a clear diagram, picture or, indeed, an explanation of what this device consisted of, how it was fitted to an MMM car and why so many MG customers specified one, as did the first owner of my PA.

Clutch stops were common in the 1930s motor cycle world, often OE fittings.

Any offers to clear up the mystery?

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

Alan Bertram

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2011 :  21:44:27  Show Profile
Perhaps this little clutch stop explanation might jog a memory or two!

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_product/clutch_stop/html_clutch/about.htm

Food for thought?

Regards,Alan

PA 0397

Edited by - Alan Bertram on 14/04/2011 21:47:58
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  09:36:52  Show Profile
I don't know if this is the full answer, but on the clutch pedal there is a small tab just below the footplate. By extending a long bolt from the clutch housing to (almost) meet it, an adjustment can be made similar to that shown in the diagram indicated by Alan. One of the dealers - I think S&V - sold a bespoke item a few years ago, which I have fitted. I always found that it was difficult to judge how hard to press the clutch pedal, especially when jumping form a modern car, and this seems to solve the problem.

As an aside, a while ago I had a company car with an extremely light clutch pedal. When I jumped into the wife's Metro, I was convinced there was something wrong with it as my clutch control had completely gone to pot - I was so used to the soft pedal I had been using every day! Strangely this did not occur in the P type, presumably because I was expecting a relatively heavy pressure to be required...

Graham
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  10:01:30  Show Profile
I use the long bolt from the bell housing method on the J Graham and it is a perfect and totally adjustable solution,

Regards
David D

Finally got the hang of posting pics so every post will now have a photo, relevant or not !!

Edited by - Dow on 15/04/2011 10:21:57
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  10:40:21  Show Profile
David the clutch stop arrangement you show and which Graham describes is the standard arrangement most people use on the J type. The original MG arrangement was similar to this but used a long brass nut with a rounded head on a stud instead of the bolt. The nut was about 3/4 inch from memory.

I think a Colmore stop which Gordon is asking about was something to do with a form of braking mechanism on the carden shaft as he mentions but I am not sure if this could have been fitted to Triple M cars.

The same question on the VSCC site will probably give you the correct answer Gordon.

TH
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  14:33:55  Show Profile
Back in the early 1980’s I had all the P type chassis files at home. I saw several references to the “Colmore Clutch Stop” being fitted to P types by the factory. Over the years I have made several attempts to find out what this is but with no success. I agree with Terry H the stops already mentioned are the standard MG fitments…. The Other Terry (A)
Go to Top of Page

Gordon

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  14:43:33  Show Profile
Does a Colmore clutch act on the input shaft to the gearbox when the clutch is disengaged or on the clutch housing/flywheel?

Gordon
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2011 :  00:04:06  Show Profile

Most 'thirties motor cycles had constant-mesh 'boxes with dog-clutch gear engagement.

Some used sliding-gear 'crash' boxes, much less easy to use, and these had adjustable Ferodo discs on the primary chaincase to 'stop' the clutch body and its shaft when the clutch was withdrawn, thus making the 'change less violent.

Any connection?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000