Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Starter motor spacer
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  07:44:44  Show Profile
On some/(all?) Triple M cars, there is a thin steel plate (about 3/16") which locates between the starter motor and the flywheel housing.

Firstly, I am intrigued to know why it is there at all as the mounting face of the motor or flywheel housing could easily have been machined differently at manufacture.

Secondly, which models should it be fitted to? I have done some measuring and with no plate fitted the gear on my P-type starter seems to line-up with the flywheel ring gear OK when engaged and clears it adequately when disengaged.

Theories?

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  02:05:56  Show Profile
I personally have never seen or heard of a spacer behind the starter motor. Was this possibly a dodge by a previous owner to get around a problem - possibly to move the engagement point further back on the pinion gear?

Cheers,

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  07:43:13  Show Profile
Definitely not a dodge, Lew. I've seen this on several Triple M cars and I've got a whole box full of the things.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  08:50:59  Show Profile
Like Kimber I have got a box full of these spacers. The spacer is listed in the J type parts list as Part No.P110/111 and is described as 'Starter packing piece'. I can only think of two reasons why it is used.
1. To get the starter dog engaged correctly on the flywheel when the starter is engaged - but I can't think that an extra 3/16" would make all that differece.
2. To stop the end of the starter pinion from hitting the inside of the gearbox bellhousing. Perhaps a J type owner could tell us how much space there is between the end of the starter pinion and the bellhousing.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  02:08:25  Show Profile
Wow! Like I said, I've never seen one. But then I've only ever owned 2 Triple-M cars, both of which I still have - a J2 and a PB. I run the J2 just fine without this piece. I have never measured the clearance, but it seems to be enough.

The PB hasn't been run in nearly 40 years, so I can't say there.

Cheers,

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

MDP

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  12:31:15  Show Profile
My J doesn't have the spacer, but has a couple of washers on each bolt instead, which probably means it should have one. I'll measure the distance from the end of the pinion when I get a minute (I need to get the starter rebuilt anyway).

Mark
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  13:09:39  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MDP

My J doesn't have the spacer, but has a couple of washers on each bolt instead, which probably means it should have one. I'll measure the distance from the end of the pinion when I get a minute (I need to get the starter rebuilt anyway).

Mark

Free spacer waiting for you upon request! (You pay P+P)
Go to Top of Page

MDP

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2005 :  14:29:58  Show Profile
Many thanks!! I'll have to work out how to get in touch.

Regards
Mark
Go to Top of Page

saltandvinegar

United Kingdom
105 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2005 :  16:13:45  Show Profile
Although P & N types were not fitted with a packing piece behind the Starter Motor the following MMM models were: M,D,J,F,L&K . S&V have them in stock ú7.66 each.
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2005 :  17:59:07  Show Profile
All the P types I have owned over the last 40 years have not been fitted with the spacer. My NB does not have the spacer but my L2 does!

George
Go to Top of Page

TomDrewett

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2005 :  21:15:09  Show Profile
Both my M Types have spacer!
Go to Top of Page

Bob Clare

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2009 :  12:48:12  Show Profile
Like Lew, I'd never heard of spacers behind starter motors so when I bought a spare gearbox with bell-housing and fitted it to the P Type I couldn't understand why the darned starter motor suddenly wouldn't work, though it was fine on the bench. I then tried to turn it on the shaft square whilst installed and couldn't. Even my dim engineering brain suggested that the shaft was too long or the bell housing too shallow.

Solution - rather than take the box etc. out, I trepanned a big hole in the bell housing and made a cup shaped cap to go over the exposed end of the starter shaft. Bodge - but it worked and still does.

Mike Allison late told me I'd probably got an L bell housing.

Bob Clare
Registrar
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000