Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Point of Originality (2)
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2009 :  09:54:28  Show Profile
In the 1960 to 1970’s I saw many cars hand painted in the engine compartment. The firewall was often newly painted silver. For many years I thought this was an early restoration fad and that both sides of the firewall should be left with the galvanised fleck. However, Tom Metcalf has found silver paint on several firewalls on the passenger side only, with sliver paint under parts that appear never to have been dismantled. Also that the pedals and choke controls are silver and not black paint. I have now discovered that the L1 Continental Coupe has the silver paint under parts as Tom has discovered also with SLIVER pedals etc.

Can anyone share their experiences with us on this with original cars they have dismantled?

Should the passenger side of the fire wall and pedals be painted silver? What do you think? see below Tom has pictures as well.... Something for debate?

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2009 :  03:09:57  Show Profile
Hi Terry,

For what it's worth, the K1 tourer I have had a painted passenger side only firewall. Your query prompted me to look at my example. There was no paint behind the angle iron for the tool box base, as shown in your photo. One photo below shows mine with that removed. No visible paint below but the visible paint line along. The accelerator/choke shaft was also painted silver. But I don't seem to be able to confirm Tom's thoughts on the wall being painted before anything was affixed. As I can't make out if there is/was paint below where the items were.

The second photo shows silver paint on pedals. My example would indicate that it was painted after all the fixings were in place, note all the nuts and bolts were painted over.

The car has been locked up since it was last on the road in the sixties.

Brian.

Edited by - Brian Kelly on 24/03/2009 03:11:59
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2009 :  10:46:33  Show Profile
There can't be many people left who ever saw a MMM MG when it was new and I suspect the nostalic memories of many current owners start in the late 50s and 60s. I spent a good half hour just looking at(and remembering) the MG with Ford Engine that was on Andy King's stand at Stoneleigh. I totally ignored the over restored museum piece that was round the corner. Does it matter about exactly the correct colour code? If the car was painted using Valspar but has character and wears it's battle scars well leave it like that.

Cheers

Jan T
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2009 :  13:34:58  Show Profile

Thanks for your thoughtful input, Jan.

Brian.

P.S. What was the colour code on that Ford engine?

PPS,
Go to Top of Page

rodb

New Zealand
260 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  09:01:12  Show Profile
I can confirm the original firewall inside surface was painted silver on the NB I am restoring, the engine side is galvanised fleck. The pedal and shaft are a light green, possibly wrong but very old and hard to scrape off, with red and then black over the top, no trace of silver. There is silver paint under most fittings so that would suggest it was painted first.

Rod
Go to Top of Page

Mike Linward

United Kingdom
93 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2009 :  15:08:41  Show Profile
There are several parts on both sides of the firewall of my N type which have been painted silver - with what looks to have been a toilet brush, considering the quality or lack of it, in how the paint was applied. I had always assumed a previous owner did this but it looks as though this may not be the case! If it is an original finish, it goes to enhance the reputation associated with these MGs as 'cheap sports cars'. As a first owner, I would not be very happy with my new purchase. In retrospect, I think I will assume the original paint was carefully applied and that it was badly touched up later.

Regards,

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2009 :  21:18:35  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Linward

There are several parts on both sides of the firewall of my N type which have been painted silver - with what looks to have been a toilet brush, considering the quality or lack of it, in how the paint was applied. I had always assumed a previous owner did this but it looks as though this may not be the case! If it is an original finish, it goes to enhance the reputation associated with these MGs as 'cheap sports cars'. As a first owner, I would not be very happy with my new purchase. In retrospect, I think I will assume the original paint was carefully applied and that it was badly touched up later.

Regards,

Mike

Mike

I had exactly the same thoughts about the silver paint on the bulkhead of my PA. I don't like silver paint at the best of times but when applied with a "toilet brush" (I think that you were right, Mike) it looks terrible. I also had assumed that it had been done by a previous owner.

I have painted the throttle and mixture linkages, and other fittings, satin black and that is how they will stay whatever the original colour was.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1564 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2009 :  21:49:14  Show Profile
When I stripped my PB I found the same poor quality silver paint on the firewall - like others I thought this was a poor attempt by a previous owner to 'tidy things up a bit'.
My newly-made firewall is staying with a galvanized finish and the pedals and throttle/choke cross-shaft assembly painted black. (Philip B-P: I'm keeping the old firewall for its æarchaeologyÆ, as you have previously suggested!)
Picture at strip:

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2009 :  10:29:58  Show Profile
Thank you for your observations so far. Our cars have universal appeal some may like racing, others trials etc but ultimately they should be seen to be used what ever colour engine, gearbox etc. I like long distance touring. However, I like research as well as this gives me great satisfaction and I correspond with many people around the world who are interested in how the cars may have originally looked. I like to determine how things were done originally. Once I have done this, if I then chose not to follow what I have learnt that is up to me. I actually like the fleck on both sides and black pedals. Tom, others and I have debated the silver paint thing on and off for some years. It was not until I looked at the L Continental Coupe that I had to do a re-think, as Mike L has said, many I have seen in the passed looked if they were painted with a toilet brush. However, it does not look like they used it on the L CC! In the passed much has been written about our cars which later do not seem to be accurate. All some of us are trying to do is sort ôthe wheat from the chaffö. So if you are not interested in some of this stuff, sorry but some are, and much is written off line as well. So thank you very much for the contributions and pictures and if anyone else has more example of this, some of us Automotive Archaeologists will be very interestedà.. thanks Terry
Go to Top of Page

mgtommm

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2009 :  04:29:25  Show Profile
Terry, as you mentioned I have 3 NB firewalls, all of which were painted silver on the passenger side. The silver paint was absolutely applied prior to assembly - or at least prior to the rubber surround as it's silver underneath. I cannot confirm the applicator but I'll agree - it coulda been via toilet brush. Pedals on all 3 NB's were silver or had silver traces. I think the silver paint was actually a bit unstable, which lead us to the toilet brush theory, but since none of us were there, it very well coulda been ye olde toilet brushe.

The engine compartment was large snowflake pattern bare naked galvanized. I have always surmised the engine side was left natural to easily conduct the ground, and, of course, galvanized to avoid rusting.

I also have several orignal J, P, and L firewalls. I'll have to have a closer look at those. My PB0268 firewall was in decent condition when I disassembled it in 1974. I recall silver paint but thought at the time somebody had brightened the car up a bit.

tommm
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2009 :  18:37:49  Show Profile
Hi Everyone,

I have a word with Peter Downs and he has had a very original P type since 1958 and I think he is the 3rd or 4th owner. His passenger side firewall is silver (and not painted with a loo brush). The peddles and controls were silver also. The engine side is metal flack. So I think I am now convinced. However, the Loo Brush style painting I saw in the 1960Æs put me off the scent on this one. This may be original but I am still not certain if I like it this wayà.. Thanks for you input on this one à.. Regardsà. Terry
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  00:13:08  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by Terry Andrews

Hi Everyone,

However, the Loo Brush style painting I saw in the 1960Æs put me off the scent

It's the way you tell 'em, Terry.

Brian.

Go to Top of Page

Terry Hartley

United Kingdom
279 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  20:06:58  Show Profile
In order to attain absolute originality can any one tell me where to get a 1930s toilet brush? S&V? BW? And when I find one, how many bristles per inch should it have?
Terry.
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  20:22:09  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Terry Hartley

In order to attain absolute originality can any one tell me where to get a 1930s toilet brush? S&V? BW? And when I find one, how many bristles per inch should it have?
Terry.

Hahahahaha !
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1564 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  21:05:46  Show Profile
1930s bog brushes, being coarse for better scouring action, must have been made from hog/pig bristle, so to be sure of an 'original' finish don't use a modern nylon-bristled one! YouÆd get a much better finish with camel hair, but someone would be bound to take the hump!
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2009 :  20:14:14  Show Profile
I have today found the old original L shaped rubber which fitted between the the firewall and the scuttle on my NB which had never been dismantled when I bought it. Naturally the rubber is well perished but the piece that faced the firewall has the remains of some silver paint on it! Obviously the firewall must have been painted before the body was fitted. The only thing I cannot recall is which part of the firewall the rubber was in contact with.

George
NA0960
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000