Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 P-Type 2 and 4 seater differences
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pauly45

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  18:17:11  Show Profile
Hi,
Ok, so other than the obvious "well one's got 2 seats and the others got 4" (!!!) I was wondering what the real differences between P-Type 2 seaters and 4 seaters was.

We are thinking of rebuilding the P-Type in 4 seater form rather than 2 seater to attempt to accomodate for a soon to be expanding family, so now seemed like a good idea to make that change.

Do the differences only start from the rear of the doors backwards ?
In reality, how much difference is there between the 2 and 4 seater rear body ? Is a 2 seater modifiable ?

How does the spare wheel mount ? To the body or still via a metal frame as on the two seater.

Are 2 seater rear wings modifiable to become 4 seater ?

Does anyone have any dimensioned drawings for a 4 seater ?

Ah...so many decisions..

Many Thanks
Paul.

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3238 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  18:38:10  Show Profile
Hi Paul

The chassis for both is the same and the bodywork up to the scuttle is the same, after that they are different!

The petrol tank, which is the same as the N types, fits under the rear body, the rear wings are different. The spare wheel carrier fits to the rear of the body, and there are two brackets which extend from the rear of the body tub, these are used to carry the rear lights, number plate etc, and are also used to secure the hood and frame when the hood is down. There is also a metal footwell for the rear passengers, and a metal base for the rear seats.

There are several 4 seater P types being rebuilt at present, the person who has done a lot of research is Bryan Ditchman. It was his part rebuilt ex-demo PB 4 seater which was on display at Silverstone.

I rebuilt and used a PB 4 seater which was ok with small children in the back but pretty hopeless with adults! Plenty of spare room for luggage when touring.

George
Go to Top of Page

Robin Macmillan

United Kingdom
415 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  21:14:20  Show Profile
Many many years ago we had a PA 4 seater (AVU 802) ... it had 2 front bucket seats rather than a bench back-rest but I confess I do not know if this was true for all 4 seaters but it did make it possible to get in the back !
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  00:06:55  Show Profile
Yes Robin, all 4 seaters have bucket seats at the front.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

willis

United Kingdom
100 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  09:13:00  Show Profile
Hi Paul, I am re-building a 4 seater, am at the stage of a rolling chassis. I live near Northampton you are welcome to come and have a look - take your own dimensions and see what the differences are etc.
Ian
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  13:35:13  Show Profile
Hello Paul,

As George says, Bryan Ditchman has done much research into the construction of the woodwork and metalwork of the 4-seater body.

He is not on the internet/email, but I am sure he would be happy to talk to you.
Telephone: 01189 326346.

John R
Go to Top of Page

pauly45

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  07:04:42  Show Profile
Hi all,

Many thanks for the replies.
It has kind of confirmed what I thought would be the case - most likely do-able with the state of our restoration.

Photos of the body frame with no metal panelling would be of most use I think, as it would give me an idea of the frame construction.
Then, some proper dimensions...

I'll be in touch Brian and/or Ian.

Cheers !
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000