Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 New member wants to say hello
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

bugeye

Germany
11 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2011 :  18:20:59  Show Profile
Hi all, registered here last week as " bugeye " . Fell in love with MGs
when on a trip to England with scool 1977, when two TC s rolled from the Bremerhaven/ Dover ferry just in front of me.
After owning Midgets, ( modern ones from the 60 s, an MGA and BGTs ), the last 30 years I have spent with an AH Sprite MK 1. Pretty and simple little car which took me and my wife round europe. As I ve bought it in 1981, it was my daily driver and even today we do some 10.000 km each year.
Question is: First time in my life I have some spare money to spend.But on what car ? A J2, or better a P type ? How about reliability ?
Can I throw some underwear, a toothbrush in a J2 and and start a 2000 km journey from north of Germany to north of Denmark ? and back ?
Do not want to spend money for a trailer queen. Or should I better forget the pre war cars and go for a TC ?

Help needed

Cheers

Peter

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2011 :  18:58:35  Show Profile
For this sort of use buy that delightful 2-seater, the 6-speed Mazda MX-5, Mk. 2 1/2 up to 2005 being arguably the best. A genuine sports car.

We have kept ours far too long, but so do so many owners.
Go to Top of Page

bugeye

Germany
11 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2011 :  20:33:24  Show Profile
thanks Bob for the quick answer. But we have our delightful two seater with the Sprite MK 1. And friends of us use their MG TC for going south, driving a few miles on the Nürburgring and then drive the car to italy for their camping holydays and back to Bremen, Germany. ok, they have to refill petrol and some oil but otherwise.....

any more answers ?
Piet

Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2011 :  21:35:13  Show Profile
Piet,
I find my Triple-M cars suitable for shorter journeys, but that's probably because I have too many to have the time and money to keep roadworthy enough to trust on a longer journey. Having said that, if you were to buy a well restored and well sorted Triple-M car, there is no reason you couldn't do longer trips. I have a friend who regularly uses his PA on 500 mile trips, and I have taken my J2 on a 300 mile drive, so it can be done. Just be aware that spares are not available at your local auto parts store, so good planning is a necessity.

The feel of a Triple-M car is very different from a T-type, including a TC. So once you drive a well sorted Triple-M car, you'll never go back.

And (hopefully) welcome to the Triple-M fraternity!

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2011 :  21:50:37  Show Profile
Peter,
The simple answer is yes, but with a couple of caveats:

i) Expect to sit at 50 - 55 mph, over 60 in a J for any distance & all the noises play tricks on the mind.

ii) A J will need more routine maintenance than your sprite, but well maintained & you will have few problems - provided it was all screwed together properly in the first place.

iii) Driving at night is not much fun in a standard car with no brakes or indicators.

iv) The more you use it, the more reliable it will tend to be.

v) I would compare driving a MMM as a bit like riding a motor-bike; you need to concentrate more, so get tired quicker.

A good J2 will easily do 2000km in a weekend without any bother - it's the driver that's most likely to be the weak link.

Find someone with a sorted one & get him (or her)to take you for a ride & then make your mind up, but be carefull - you might get hooked (as Bob says; people tend to keep them for a long time).

JH

Go to Top of Page

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  08:36:06  Show Profile
Hi Peter,

As one of the elder members, who has been driving his car for over fifty years, may I be permitted to add a little. Jeremy has covered most points, but the following might help:

I usually summarise my usage of a Triple-M car by saying if I have to drive a long journey, I prefer to use the modern car with its Air Conditioning, and Stereo, and arrive at the end fresh, and am not phased by perhaps a four hundred mile journey. If, however, I WANT to make a trip, then use the Triple-M car, which if properly prepared will cover ground surprisingly quickly: but don't aim at much over 200 miles per session: the cars are tiring to drive, and having fresh air pushed past your eyes and ears is a tiring experience!

During the recent Triple-M Register celebrations I covered over five hundred miles in six days (the event was eighty miles from home, and Silverstone is sixty) I do NOT use motorways, which require too much intense concentration unless you car drive at around sixty all the time... our A and B roads are what the cars were designed to run on, we had no motorways until 1957!

When the cars were originally built they were designed as state of the art small, high performance cars, at an affordable price... rather like your Sprite! But standards evolve over time, constantly improving. The MGF is a much better car than an MGB, or your Sprite.

The cars are still fun to drive, and represent really good value in the vintage car world: but they are no contest for a modern car. Do as Jeremy suggests, and beg a ride: if you are hooked, the enthusiasm is incurable: if you do not like the experience, then at least you have tried.

Best wishes,

Mike Allison
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
769 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  09:17:57  Show Profile
Hi Peter,
you can drive long distances but as has been said prepare for the experience.....
Hamish and Myself drove our cars (C-type and PA) from UK to Copenhagen for a race meeting and back...the only drama was breaking a diff during the race which was partly on cobbles....spare fitted and return journey completed. We take a break every two hours or at a good watering hole if one comes up sooner!......but try out other peoples sorted cars and then decide...
Foz
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  12:15:12  Show Profile
Did you have a support vehicle? Carrying a spare diff., the necessary tools and other spares would rule out putting any luggage or spare clothing in my PA.

The nearest modern comparison to a 2-seater MMM may well be the last model of Toyota MR2 where minimal luggage space restricts useability. A fortnight's clothing etc. is easy in the MX5. No need, so far, for spare parts or tools.

The comments on the unsuitability of MMM cars for some of today's roads and on driver fatigue are significant.

There may be a perceptible change happening in others' view of our sort of car.

A recent and very large charity car show near to me had pre-war numbers down to fewer than thirty out of several hundred (2 x MMM). Several members of the public asked whether I was allowed to drive the cars - PA and A7 Chummy - on the road.
Go to Top of Page

Ross Kelly

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  12:39:47  Show Profile
Peter,
If one is prepared to be sunburt, cold, wet and occassionaly hit by flying stones, great enjoyment is awaiting you in driving MMM cars long distances.

Last year Dino Mattea in his L type and I (J3) drove from Ancona Italy to Abingdon. Any problems on the way was usually an introduction to car enthusiasts of all persuasions who helped us out.

The same cars will be tackling the Australian Outback this August from Brisbane to Lightening Ridge and onto Longreach probably the first MMM to visit some of the towns on the way.

Have a go Peter I am sure you will enjoy the experience.

Cheers
Ross Kelly J3763

ross
tight lines and corners
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3238 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  20:22:37  Show Profile
Hi Peter

The others have covered all aspects, but as Mike has said they are great cars to drive, and as Foz states take regular breaks.

You do need to take care when buying a car; some "rebuilt" examples are anything but, they look good cosmetically but can be mechanically poor.

I am sure you will be converted should you manage a ride in a well sorted car.

George
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  22:21:56  Show Profile
Hello Peter,

Nobody has answered your question "Or should I better forget the pre-war cars and go for a TC?"

The TC is essentially a pre-war design and the XPAG engine, although now over 70 years old since it was first introduced in the TB of 1939 is a good reliable unit.

If I was contemplating the type of journey you describe I would take my TC rather than my PB.

A TC with an XPAG bored out to 1350cc and a rear axle ratio of 4.875 can cover a lot of ground.

Cheers!

JOHN JAMES (TC0750 & PB0722)

http://ttypes.org/

Go to Top of Page

agn178

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  14:12:47  Show Profile
It was nice to see the enthusiastic comments regarding MMM motoring - which could persuade me to believe that I might overcome my dread of going any further than the local garage for the annual MOT: total average miles per year for the past few years are no more than 10. I really would love to believe that there is "life in the old girl" still but am having graet difficulty in persuading her to respond to my ministrations.

It would be wonderful to see 41mph even on a downhill slope & even better to dispose of the red flag man on hilly ascents.

On that topic is anyone able to provide me with time/speed figures?
0-20; 0-30; 20-40 etc? As a comparison it may be that I'm expecting too much & should lower expectations.

(I've done all the basic checks but obviously(?) I'm not doing enough to get any faster)
Go to Top of Page

Gordon

United Kingdom
691 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  15:32:28  Show Profile
Derek
I seem to remember that you posted with your problems back in 2008 and I am very sorry to hear that all this time later you appear to be in the same position.
How did you check the basic cam shaft timing?

Gordon
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  17:53:21  Show Profile
I don't have performance figures but have just been running in my PA(600 miles, just changed the oil...) and find it difficult keeping UNDER 40 mph, apart from occasional fuel starvation (or maybe something electrical, not sure yet...) A J would not be much different, an M not too much slower (at that sort of speed anyway) and any of the sixes would be quicker (except perhaps an F - or do I hear howls of anguish?)

Timing seems the most likely culprit of your problems though, Derek.

Graham

Edited by - MaGic_GV on 11/07/2011 20:00:09
Go to Top of Page

TomDrewett

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  18:50:26  Show Profile
This thread made me smile and reminded me I keep meaning to do a 'speed test' with a sat nav for the M Type, 45mph (according to the speedo) is comfortable although 60+ doesn't seem to be a problem. Standard 3 speed gearbox

Tom
Go to Top of Page

bugeye

Germany
11 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  19:29:51  Show Profile
Before it goes over to an completely other problem here I would like to say thanks a lot to all taking their time to answer me. Maybe I should put a few things right:
- burnt skin and deaf ears are common to me after a run in the Sprite !
- living in the slow lane is no problem. Cruising speed for me is
90-110 km ( 65-75 miles )
- when I say the last 12.000 km the Sprite ran without any problems, I
missed to say, : greased all spots 4 times, changed all oils two times
had a look at the valves and decided to take the head off, took ever-
thing apart and renew some parts, head back with new gasket and
go for a new cork head cover gasket. Took the H1 carbs off and
took them to pieces, new needles, spindles and cork rings in there and
finally, put in my new NOS distributor and , yes car runs sweet and passed the german TÜV test today without any problems.
What I want to say, mmh, I m not quite sure what to do / buy.

But will follow here reading

fantastic forum

Piet
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000