Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Gear changing
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Oz34

United Kingdom
2570 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  08:53:51  Show Profile
Jeff, (& others wearing ear-plugs!)

What nobody seems to have mentioned re noisy 2nd gear is that 1st & 2nd are straight cut & therefore inherently noisy. 3rd & 4th are double helical gears which should be fairly quiet. I expect someone more knowledgeable will shoot me down but, I doubt you will find a Wolesley gearbox that is not noisy in 2nd, & probably 1st!

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  11:27:41  Show Profile
I drove my J2 from Newbury to Bedford this morning, over the Berkshire Ridgeway, up through Wantage, Buckingham and Milton Keynes. Watched a glorious sun rise across freshly harvested fields with Red Kites circling, NO TRAFFIC and hardly noticed any gearbox noises. Somehow, the sheer pleasure of the open road and late summer sunshine took away any distractions. Bliss!
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Shackell

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  18:37:20  Show Profile
Thank you Robin, what a wonderful journey. I take it your J2 has a new crankshaft & bits and bobs hanging off it?

Jeff

Jeff Shackell
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3244 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  18:40:36  Show Profile
The 1st and second gears on my NB are not noisy, there is the inevitable whine of straight cut gears. The gearbox was in very good condition with little wear when I stripped - I did replace all the bearings.

George.

Robin, that drive sounds great!

Go to Top of Page

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  19:16:25  Show Profile
Jeff

I just got home after the return journey. Not so traffic free but sheepskin free, unlike this morning! Yes, the engine is full of new parts but thanks to a certain Mr Richardson, it goes very well indeed!

Hope you're enjoying your recent purchases.

Regards

Robin
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
913 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  19:34:43  Show Profile
Some of us have to work weekdays!
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Shackell

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  20:09:43  Show Profile
Robin, I am indeed, very much. Richardson, there is a name of great MG fame from my youth. There was a firm from Staines that used to buy & sell MG and in their Exchange & Mart advert (another word from the past) they would advertise "more than anything in the world we want to buy your MG" I think they were close to the now M25 & whenever I wiz down the 25 and glance over I smile and remember those days of excited Thursday's to see what MG's were for sale in the E & M. I recall J2's were £500 then!

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  01:16:04  Show Profile
My PA used to whine like hell in second gear and there seemed little, if anything, that you could do about it! I had it "looked- at" once by competent mechanics and that was what I was told. My F-type, with straight-cut ENV gearbox, is a bit noisy in all indirect gears but not really unpleasantly so. Double-declutching is mandatory to change down but I find that changing up must be done quickly.
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3682 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  10:34:30  Show Profile
Jeff, you are correct about the Richardson firm of past memory. I'm sure that the Richardson that Robin referred to is Oliver Richardson, who does much excellent engineering work on Triple-M cars these days.

Best wishes
Dick
Go to Top of Page

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  11:27:11  Show Profile
Jeremy

I was actually going to work. Yes, it's my usual commute but the J appealed more than "boring technik" yesterday. You can imagine the excitement in the office car park with my little old car parked amongst modern metal.

Regards

Robin
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6179 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  21:23:57  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by DickMorbey

Jeff, you are correct about the Richardson firm of past memory. I'm sure that the Richardson that Robin referred to is Oliver Richardson, who does much excellent engineering work on Triple-M cars these days.

Best wishes
Dick

Yes, I can vouch for Oliver's attention to detail and high standards as his work on my long suffering J2 is outstanding and I'm looking forward to driving it for the first time since I bought it nearly forty years ago. I know it will simply be perfect.
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
913 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  20:35:30  Show Profile
Touche Robin!

I also have tried to brighten the commute with a J2 this Summer, alas there's a bit too much M4 for comfort on my route. It's still however excellent therapy on the way home, but whilst it does attract admiring comments from more discerning work colleagues, I fear the wheels just aren't wide enough to grab the attention of todays "yoof".

JH
Go to Top of Page

george

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2011 :  17:43:57  Show Profile
Hi I have just driven my N type on the road for the first time ever and sympathize with all of the comments its not just the double declutch, i have to do that on my tr3 cos the synchro is worn out but the wirring noises and a rather odd clicking sound from the clutch area and total lack of springing make for an interesting drive .In total I made about 50 changes of which maybe 5 were as they should be .Still in time im sure the old girl will teach me how to do it right and ignore the wirrs and clicks .The photo is me having my first lesson[could do better]cheers geoff PS having driven the car a bit more now i notice that the first couple of changes from cold are really buttock clenching noisy but as the oil warms things get quite a bit better

Edited by - george on 13/09/2011 19:31:50
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
994 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2011 :  10:15:02  Show Profile
Try making the first few up changes from cold more quickly than usual. Down changes when cold are a nightmare - best to live somewhere where you only need to change up for the first few miles :-).

Colin

PA 0613 - MG3242
Go to Top of Page

Bob Grunau

Canada
290 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2011 :  15:03:47  Show Profile
Gear changes in PA-0531 are usually accompanied by some crashing. However practice has improved this. Not mentioned, and surely an influence, is the oil used in the gearbox. PA0531 has Redline synthetic gear oil 75W-140NS installed. I rebuilt the gearbox with all new bearings but the gears were worn and so some gear noise, mostly in 2nd gear. But silent changes are tough. Do I need a heavier oil??
KN0389 gearbox was as new inside and has been rebuilt with all new bearings. It is nearing the time to add gear oil. What is the recommended gear oil to allow good lubrication and hopefully better gear changes? I will add to KN0389 and change oil in PA0351.
Thanks from Canada, Bob Grunau
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000