Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 PB radiator support - continued
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

K0390

Germany
11 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2011 :  20:52:50  Show Profile
Thanks for the help and the beautifull pictures! I own a PB basket and there many questions in my mind concerning the details of assembly. There are some big differences to my TC although everything looks basically quite familiar to me. Now, would you have a picture of the inside - the side that shows to the engine - of the radiator where the transverse headlamp and wing supporting bar is fixed against the radiator sides. I have the feeling that some parts of the radiator housing are missing. In TCs there are 2 triangles soldered to the housing that take the bar which supports the wings.
Regards
Peter

Edited by - K0390 on 16/09/2011 07:11:09

Oz34

United Kingdom
2570 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2011 :  11:53:15  Show Profile
Hi Peter,

I'm surprised no one has answered your query yet.

It's fairly simple really. The two studs on the bottom of the rad fit into the holes marked by yellow "blobs" in the picture below:

Across the back of the rad you will find 4(no) 1/4 BSF studs. A "C" shaped piece of 1/4 inch steel fits over these with its ends wrapped around the rad to take the headlamp lugs. A roughly triangular bracket then bolts over this & picks up on two studs on the front of the cylinder head, again the yellow blobs show these:

I hope this helps.

Nick, this is a brilliant developement! Well done again & many thanks for your efforts.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3682 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2011 :  14:27:47  Show Profile
Might I raise a supplementary question?

Should the radiator mounting rubbers sit between the bottom of the rad and the support bracket, OR under the support bracket, then secured with washers and a nut?

Best wishes
Dick
Go to Top of Page

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2011 :  15:25:03  Show Profile
Hi Dick

The rubbers sit between the bottom of the rad and the bracket. The studs on the rad should be just long enough to fit a flat washer, split washer and a nut. I also fitted a small piece of gash aluminium in the elongated hole to stop the rad travelling along the hole.

Regards

Robin
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3682 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2011 :  20:00:23  Show Profile
Thanks Robin,

I thought so, and I am sure you are correct.

I read somewhere recently (can't recall where) that the rubber spacers sit below the bracket - but I cannot see the point of that!

Best wishes
Dick
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3251 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2011 :  22:25:36  Show Profile
Dick (and Dan Fest please note), the quote came from DanF in a post on 20/8/2011, and I quote:
"However, it has been pointed out to me that the rubber bushings do not go at the bottom of the radiator but rather between the nut and engine support. I have this incorrect and correcting it should make my hose offset considerably less."

Now who IS correct?

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

ags

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2011 :  00:59:20  Show Profile
Hi Lew, Robin, Dick, Dan and all,

For what it is worth, my rubber washers are fitted between the bottom of the radiator and the top of the support bracket and not between the washer and the bottom of the support bracket. They were like this when I got the car, but they might easily have been moved in the twenty nine years before that after it had left the Factory. I believe that their purpose is to decrease any possible stress on the radiator and that this position does this most effectively. These stresses come from the conflict between the distortion of the relatively flexible front end of the chassis (transmitted by the wings, wing stays, headlamp brackets and the top radiator support to the radiator framing) and the position of the engine which is not so mobile, being held by the gear box support cross shaft at about the middle of the chassis.

In response to Dan F. I have used this arrangement of the washers both with and without a water pump. The alignment of the bottom hose into the water pump can be improved by cutting the length of the hose to suit, using a little liquid soap as a lubricant when fitting the hose and plenty of brute force to get the ends of the hose to slide properly along the radiator and pump spigots. This may be most easily done if the radiator is fitted to the engine (which has had the water pump fitted but the hoses left loose) when the engine etc. is in the chassis rather than trying to fiddle the hose between the spigots when they are both fixed. Just do not forget the hose clips if you tackle it this way!

I do not know of any works photographs which show this area in detail, so what I have said is backed only by my experience. Anyone else's opinion might be different, but this is my view.

More technical ramblings from

Andrew Smith MMM571
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
881 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2011 :  11:12:59  Show Profile
Andrew,
another improvement to fiddle the bottom hose into the water pump is possible, when for fixing the water pump to the front housing, no studs are used as original, but instead two bolts.
So before inserting the bolts, the water pump can be turned slightly, and the fitting of the hose is easier.
This alternation also helps a lot, when after years, a water pump has to be removed, and slight turning back and forward will loosen the hardened sealing compound.
Gerhard
Go to Top of Page

K0390

Germany
11 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2011 :  10:04:31  Show Profile
Thanks for the help and the beautifull pictures! I own a PB basket and there many questions in my mind. There are some big differences to my TC although everything looks basically quite familiar to me. Now would you have a picture of the inside of the radiator where the transverse headlamp and wing supporting bar is fixed against the radiator sides.
Regards
Peter
quote:
Originally posted by Oz34

Hi Peter,

I'm surprised no one has answered your query yet.

It's fairly simple really. The two studs on the bottom of the rad fit into the holes marked by yellow "blobs" in the picture below:

Across the back of the rad you will find 4(no) 1/4 BSF studs. A "C" shaped piece of 1/4 inch steel fits over these with its ends wrapped around the rad to take the headlamp lugs. A roughly triangular bracket then bolts over this & picks up on two studs on the front of the cylinder head, again the yellow blobs show these:

I hope this helps.

Nick, this is a brilliant developement! Well done again & many thanks for your efforts.

Dave

Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3244 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2011 :  11:19:58  Show Profile
Hi Peter

I have always fitted the rubber between the radiator and the support bracket - as Andrew has pointed out these rubbers will protect the bottom of the radiator from the stresses caused by the very flexible chassis.

I suppose if the two bolts at the bottom of the rad were long enough it would be possible to have rubbers both above and below the bracket! Like Robin I use a suitable flat washer.

George
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000