Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Fuel
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jeff Shackell

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  07:22:03  Show Profile
Sorry, another one. I have had several kind snippets of advice about fuel for our engines. Just so I have this right, is it best to add something to the fuel from time to time? One person has said simply to put unleaded petrol in and with other recommendations in-between to a quantity of (redex ?) per gallon of unleaded.

I would like to follow the rules of best practice and if anything helps gear changing I'm in for it!!

Thank you.

Jeff Shackell

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  10:01:53  Show Profile
Jeff,

There is a school of thought that says our engines need no additive, as leaded fuel was not available at the time the cars were built in the early thirties. However, in those days it was common practice to whip the cylinder head off once a year to decoke (i.e. remove a build up of carbon in the combustion chambers) and at the same time to check and grind-in the valves if there was any sign of pitting.

With modern fuels and oils there is now much less likelihood of excessive carbon build-up in the space one year, but without lead in the petrol, there is a risk of valve seat damage occurring. As a result a second school of thought suggests that to aviod this risk, however slight it might be, it is worthwhile putting in an additive each time you refuel. These additives are marketed by a number of firms, including many of the major fuel and oil suppliers and are on sale at garages and parts stores in most towns. Such products as Castrol Valvemaster or "Tetra-Boost" spring to mind.

In order to keep the pride and joy in the best of health, a few bobs worth of additive from time to time, seems to make good sense to me.

An alternative is to spend quite a lot of money in having the cylinder head fitted with special hardened valve seats and valves to match, but a third school of thought says that that is going a bit far if your car is to be used for normal touring, rather than fierce competition.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3245 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  11:29:28  Show Profile
Hi Jeff

I use ordinary, not super, unleaded petrol and add Castrol Valvemaster Plus which has the octane boost. This additive came out best when tests were conducted on additives at the time leaded fuels were being withdrawn.

Both my cars are supercharged and I have experienced no problems. One engine has hardened valve seat inserts and the other does not.

With regard to hardened seats, there appear to be two schools of thought - one is that the landing is too small for inserts and the other is inserts are ok. I would hasten to add I am not an expert engineer, rather an enthusiastic amateur!

George
NA0960, L2023
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2570 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  19:32:38  Show Profile
I'm surprised nobody has yet mentioned up to 10% kerosene which a number of people in the Octagon Car Club have experimented with. It's quite legal with our cars; I think for any car before 1946, & they reckon it is a good thing to do. Any comments from our learned fraterity?

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Shackell

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  21:52:54  Show Profile
Thank you for all your comments. I have purchased some stuff made by Lucas (it was the most expensive in the shop) and when the J2 tank is empty I will add the suggested level to the fuel. The J2 here has a little lever on the back of the tank by the filler cap indicating main and reserve, do I imagine that is correct for a J2? The PB has a turn affair on the right of the dash.

Jeff Shackell
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2011 :  05:36:46  Show Profile
Sounds correct Jeff.
http://www.mgmmm.com/type-J-foto%27s.htm Look under Pipework.

Regards
David D
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000