Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 P Type starting handle support
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Oz34

United Kingdom
2569 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2011 :  20:29:47  Show Profile
Maurice Blakey mentions the value of the photos of the Sussex Sports Cars car.

One of these shows the starting handle in place and, clearly visible in the hole in the apron is a substantial support bracket for the handle. This is something I always felt was lacking in my car so I wonder if one was originally fitted and, if so, how it was mounted?

Any advice gratefully received!

Dave

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2011 :  21:38:29  Show Profile
I had a support on my car when purchased in the late '60s, which I always assumed was an owner derived mod. I have not noticed one on any other cars, but I guess it would usually be out of sight. Mine was bolted to the dumb iron cross piece through two large holes drilled for the purpose - which made it very easy to bend when I drove into a 'deviation in your route' sign...

Graham
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2569 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2011 :  00:21:23  Show Profile
Yes I guess it would Graham! I had thought of devising something retained by the bolts the apron is held on by, so no new holes. I have found the handle tends to bear on the apron and distorting it, hence my feeling there was something missing.

Thanks for your reply,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Keith Wallace

United Kingdom
367 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2011 :  07:28:11  Show Profile
My Lincon battery died last Friday. I wondered why the starting handle wobbled around so much, now I know!

I too would be interested in the design of the original bracket. (will look for the holes this morning).

Regards
Keith

Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2569 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2011 :  11:20:33  Show Profile
I'm not sure if there was one Keith, hence my question.

I have in my mind a idea bolting two curved strips of 1/4 inch steel under the top faces of the dumb irons using the bolts which hold the apron on. A tube would be welded across them and would carry an upright bracket for the handle. It's just that, if there was something there originally, I'd like to do it MG's way.

There is a further thought on my arrangement; would the strips stiffen the dumb irons to the point of altering the handling adversely?

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Alan Bertram

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2011 :  12:08:21  Show Profile
Dave,

Because of frequent apron damage I made a starting handle guide for my old PA in the sixties using 2" x 1/8" X 12" flat bar, and from my old sketch the vertical leg is 1.5" back from the center of the cross tube and starting handle hole center was 3.25" above the top of the cross tube.

I bent it round a 1.25" diameter bar and when I finished it I cut a 3/4" wide x 1.25" long piece out of the center front to make it easier to spring round the the cross tube. A 5/16" bolt keeps it clamped on tight, so no need for bolt holes in the cross tube.

I was told by a certain well know trader "that will have to go, its not original", but as it tucks under the apron who can tell?

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, here's 2 photos.

Regards,Alan

PA 0397
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2569 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2011 :  15:43:19  Show Profile
Absolutely brilliant Alan. You clearly had the same problem as me, and probably lots of other people, and your arrangement looks far better than the one I was thinking of. That is what I will do. Many thanks!

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1059 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2011 :  16:50:38  Show Profile
Now I am just wondering why go through all the trouble for a car with an electric starter......

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

mgptype

United Kingdom
709 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2011 :  18:13:27  Show Profile
When I got my PA it also had a bracket bolted to the front cross member. It looked as if it had been on there for many years as the hole for the starting handle was well worn.

Fred..

Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2011 :  09:15:29  Show Profile
Hi Fred

Just a small point, did your bracket do the job? ie was the line up correct etc.

If it was not MG perhaps they were parts that could be purchased from places like Gamages etc.

Russ
Go to Top of Page

mgptype

United Kingdom
709 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2011 :  09:26:54  Show Profile
Hi Russ.
On closer inspection it looks home made, I took it off before I had the engine in the car. If it’s not to late you can try it on your PB and perhaps make one for yours using my one as a pattern.

Fred..
Go to Top of Page

Alan Bertram

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2011 :  12:34:36  Show Profile
Hi Russ, Fred

Your bracket type may need to be tilted towards the engine to clear the edge of the apron hole?

It will depend on the vertical relationship between your aprons starter handle hole and your dumb iron cross tube. My apron hole starts in line with the inner edge (engine side) of the cross tube hence the offset on my bracket.

I did also consider using an ali body mounting clamp to hold a drilled steel flat bar guide plate for the starter handle but went for the cheaper option.

Alan

Edited by - Alan Bertram on 27/09/2011 12:55:48
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
913 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2011 :  14:14:09  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by Onno

Now I am just wondering why go through all the trouble for a car with an electric starter......

Onno, There are many reasons: It takes a good while for the oil to fully circulate in a MMM engine after start up, particularly if the car is used infrequently or has the modern oil filter conversion.
It is good practice to remove the rocker cover, squirt oil over the cam gears & rockers, then remove the plugs, before working up a good sweat cranking the engine over by hand 100 or so times.

I kid you not

JH
Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2011 :  08:38:03  Show Profile
Hi Fred

I will take you up on your offer re the Starting handle guide.

Having a problem with my email system at the moment hence this message.

Will contact you off forum.

Russ
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2011 :  20:38:26  Show Profile
The Sussex Sports Cars PA project would appear to have a support bracket.
Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2011 :  08:00:34  Show Profile
Hi Fred and all interested in this bracket.

Thanks for sending it to me Fred.

Its definately home made and was made from a piece of rusty bracketry, however it must have been used on a car with no front apron fitted.

Alan Bartrums photo is the way to go, with the vertical part of the bracket positioned away from the crosstube.

I will use Freds bracket after alterations, as its almost there and the gauge of steel is "Beefy".

Russ
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000