Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Indicator electronics and automatic retard.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2011 :  21:08:46  Show Profile
Does anyone produce the electronic gizmo necessary to switch flashing indicators from two push on / push off buttons on the rhombic panel?
I know an ex colleague electronics engineer who could design and build such a unit.

He also designed an ignition timing unit to retard the timing of an aftermarket turbocharged Metro about 30 years ago to retard the timing as boost pressure increased. Would such a thing be of interest to those of you who have superchargers?

Maurice Blakey.

Edited by - Cymber on 23/10/2011 21:10:10

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2011 :  23:12:29  Show Profile
Hi Maurice
There is a circuit for what I think you want in my book.
Nick
Go to Top of Page

Gordon

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  08:09:07  Show Profile
Hi Maurice,

You may want to also include a self cancelling system into your design. On my PB I made a system so the push buttons activated locking relays, interfaced with a self cancelling system mounted on the steering column by the column supporting bracket and caused the 30 mph light to flash on and off when the indicator flashers were working. It also allowed the semaphore arms to operate normally at the same time. I made this system some 10 years ago and would not be surprised that a good electronics engineer would improve the design significantly - but at least it has worked fine for me!

If you want a boost ignition retard system have a look at the 123Tune distributor that would fit. Apparently it gives smoother running and the ability to tune the whole advance curve and by using a MAP sensor to monitor the manifold pressure both part load advance can be accomplished together with boost retard. You can also get it to stabilise tick over by having that part of the curve shaped so that the slope means that the timing is adjusted either advancing or retarding to hold tickover revs! I'm sure such electronics were available in the '30's!!!!

Gordon
Go to Top of Page

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  20:54:22  Show Profile
Gordon,
You have just pointed out how out of touch I am.
The boost retard unit I refered to was applicable to any type of distributor so that visual originality is not affected and would also probably be less expensive than a complete new unit.

Maurice.
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  18:56:02  Show Profile
Each to their own Gordon,but I wouldn't want a self cancelling system.

We've had Citroens for nearly 30 years. I complained of the first one that the SC system wasn't working and the answer was that Citroen didn't believe in them so did not fit. I very soon decided that they were right and was very sorry when they eventually decided to go with the flow.

I still have the habit, developed on that first one, of manually cancelling and I'm sure if self cancelling indicators were illegal, we'd have far fewer people driving for miles with an indicator flashing!

While on my hobby horse, and more Triple M relevant, I've always thought if ALL cars had fly-off hand brakes, learners would have less fear of hill starts. The reason I think people have trouble with them is because they work "the wrong way". I'm sure most on this forum would agree they are actually easier to use, particularly on a hill if you don't want to jump from brake to accelerator.

Controversially,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

gordclark

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  02:26:13  Show Profile
This is a topic that has been bounced around by all Pre-1980 MG Registers and clubs. In the TD/TF forum, Larry Shoer, has been exploring ways to achieve LED rear lighting on a TD/TF for minimal bucks and in a simple way, ie: minimal changing of bits, minimum re-wiring, etc., and most importantly, at an affordable cost.

Have a look at http://www2.mgcars.org.uk/cgi-bin/gen5?runprog=mgbbs&mode=thread&access=41717203703060&subject=8&source=T&thread=2011100415475012971. I'm sure Larry would welcome correspondence on this, as there's no need to duplicate all the work already done. He can be contacted at LarryShoer@comcast.net. His work is based on positive earth apps, but as I understand it, the negative earth is easier to solve.

Gord Clark 392
Rockburn, Qué.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000