Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Nuts!
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mark Sellick

United Kingdom
56 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2011 :  23:36:30  Show Profile
Dear All,

Can anyone recommend a decent supplier for proper bar-turned single chamfer nuts in BSF sizes? Those horrible stamped things with the grotty threads are everywhere, but I'm having trouble finding the proper ones since Bernie Wade disappeared.

Thanks,

Mark

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1564 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2011 :  23:40:39  Show Profile
Hi Mark,
I use stainless steel fixings from http://www.stainlessmiddleton.co.uk/ ; give them a try.

Bruce. (PB0564)

Edited by - Bruce Sutherland on 20/11/2011 23:41:21
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2539 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2011 :  11:12:54  Show Profile
Mark,

While I can't speak of their steel nuts, I have just received some 1/4 BSF brass nuts from these people; http://www.polished-stainless.com/. These are EXACTLY as you describe.

Despite their web address, their name is "Surplus Supplies" and these nuts do indeed look as though they've lain in someone's bin for decades so they may well be a finite supply.

I'm told by those who know that the "grotty" threads (I assume you mean rolled?) are in fact stronger than the traditional cut ones.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2011 :  12:11:16  Show Profile
Fiennes supply very good quality nuts, which are a similar depth to prewar nuts. However don't be fooled by the photograph in the link below, they are chamferred at both ends but the chamfer is very small.

http://www.fiennes.co.uk/Parts/Catalogue/Q/QNT/QNT207

Peter
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2011 :  12:34:40  Show Profile
I have always used Namrick who are in Brighton - www.namrick.co.uk - who have always given me a good service.

George

Edited by - George Eagle on 21/11/2011 12:35:20
Go to Top of Page

charley

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2011 :  13:05:50  Show Profile
I have found so far Thomas Smith Fasteners supply good quality BSF nuts,bolts etc.
Go to Top of Page

rossk

United Kingdom
495 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2011 :  19:54:32  Show Profile
What size and how many are you after?

Ross Keeling
Go to Top of Page

etlanpa

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2011 :  08:36:23  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Oz34

Mark,

While I can't speak of their steel nuts, I have just received some 1/4 BSF brass nuts from these people; http://www.polished-stainless.com/. These are EXACTLY as you describe.

Despite their web address, their name is "Surplus Supplies" and these nuts do indeed look as though they've lain in someone's bin for decades so they may well be a finite supply.

I'm told by those who know that the "grotty" threads (I assume you mean rolled?) are in fact stronger than the traditional cut ones.

Dave

I'll second that - Mike Peters (Surplus Supplies) is most helpful, and has supplied all my BSF stuff since the demise of Bernard Wade...as mentioned, a lot of it is genuine 'surplus' or 'old' stock.
Go to Top of Page

Mark Sellick

United Kingdom
56 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2011 :  18:43:17  Show Profile
Thanks everyone who has recommended a suitable supplier! I shall try Mike Peters in the first instance.

Are the stainless items suitable for all applications - I understood that stainless was brittle and could cause problems, or is that only in bolts which could stretch and shear off?

Ross, I'm looking to generally re-stock my "stores", as I haven't bought any for ages and I'm getting quite low. The sizes I particularly need are the "usual" ones - 1/4" BSF, 5/15" BSF and 3/8" BSF. I try not to re-use nuts and spring washers as you never know their history!

Thanks again, everyone, and if anyone knows of any other good suppliers, please get in touch!!!

Mark
Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2011 :  22:13:05  Show Profile
I personally avoid stainless steel - it looks pretty but it not a very good material for tensile strength in my opinion.
The problem we most often have with stainless screw fastners in industry is that the threads often bind - thus rendering both nut and bolt scrap metal.

Personally I use SWG Fastners in Newbury and have done for around 15 years.

Regards David
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000