Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Model Engineering
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Simon

United Kingdom
450 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  15:38:45  Show Profile
Wonderful video but for the ultimate, what about Barry Hares' 1/5 scale model of the last of the R-R piston engines, the Eagle. This was a 24 cylinder "H" (2 crankshafts)sleeve valve of 46 litres. Model is 386 cc.He even reproduces the Coffman starter using .22" cartridges. Simon.
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  20:10:56  Show Profile
Here is a link to some Eagle photos of Barry Hare's model. Awesome!
http://www.enginehistory.org/ModelEngines/eagle_22.shtml
John R
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2542 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  00:07:50  Show Profile
What a fantastic bit of model engineering. What a waste of effort by Rolls Royce!

I think I'm right in saying the only aircraft it was used in was the prototype Westland Wyvern Naval strike fighter. The production machines used the Armstrong Siddeley Python turboprop and of course this was the Eagle's problem. Why would you use an immenseley complex piston when the relatively simple turboprop would give as much, and potentially more power?

Would you like to know the firing order of the Pratt & Whitney R-4360 28 cylinder radial used in the Stratocruiser? No, I thought not but, has anyone else noticed the "home" button right at the bottom of the "Eagle page"? This page is merely one on a totally fascinating aero-engine site.

http://www.enginehistory.org/index.php

Enjoy!

Dave
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000