Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 The Wilson Preselector Gearbox
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

powerplus

United Kingdom
599 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  13:15:38  Show Profile
For those interested in preselector gearboxes, may I recommend a book recently published and available through the Riley Register, written by Peter Meyer, entitled "The Wilson Preselector Gearbox Armstrong-Siddeley Type". Whilst this comprehensively illustrated book in colour, of some 174 pages, relates specifically to the Armstrong preselector gearbox, the principles and engineering are similar and will be very helpful to those interested in the ENV preselector gearbox.

The book is described as the complete handbook for the Armstrong- Siddeley Gearbox (Wilson patent) and covers the background to the use of Major Wilson's patent, the principles of epicyclic gearing, and thereafter a detailed description (with dimensions where appropriate) and photographs of every individual part supported by reference numbers to a parts list. There are sections on the repair, maintenance
lubrication, disassembly, overhaul, assembly, and recommendations for sources of parts. A suggested test bench is also illustrated.

This is an excellent reference book which should enable those with apprehension about rebuilding or merely adjusting their preselector 'box to allay their fears. About £40 incl UK P&P.

Also included is a DVD which by video animation demonstrates the gear selection, gear change and drive processes.

Available from Rosemary Birmingham. Tel 0115 9604952.

Powerplus

Edited by - powerplus on 05/12/2011 14:20:22

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  16:24:46  Show Profile
This is a very good book - however it does not cover the ENV version in any great detail, instead it concentrates on the Armstrong 110 version used on the later Rileys.

The ENV75 box was used on the Riley 9 but they "upgraded" to the stronger Armstrong box on the 12-4.
The internal workings ont he Armstrong box are bigger and stronger - and a number of MG's have also been fitted with these boxes.
It is well worth converting these boxes to roller bearings (the standard bearings are bronze) on the gear drums and also fitting closer ratio's too.

The ENV 75 has a number of "little intracacies" put there to tempt the minds of angels to the dark side!

There is a useful ditty on rebuilding the ENV 75 in the Malcolm Green's 6 Cylinder MG's - also Blower (the bible) give enough information to be honest on adjustment and care of the gearbox although it is a bit sketchy on the re-building of them.

The most important thing is that you set aside time and space to do the job in one hit - the thing really is a "box of tricks".
Dont take em apart and them leave them for a couple of years and then try and make it all fit together again.
Also make sure you have plenty of light to work in and endless patience.

Like most mechanical assemblies though these are simple, logical and anyone with a degree in thermodynamics should be able to half understand the basics!

Yours with a smile David
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  18:15:55  Show Profile
I did bring this book to the attention of our members in a previous posting.

I also purchased the excellent book from the Riley Register, Rosemary joked that she made me an honorary member of the Riley Club for one day as the library normally sells to members only!

Regards

George
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  23:21:57  Show Profile
Is there a source for information about the ENV crash gearboxes fitted to the F, C and J4 ? ......"probably the best set of ratios and sweetest gearbox ever fitted to a MMM car."

Sam
Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  09:42:55  Show Profile
Sam

I dont think so is the answer - although to be honest the gearbox is acually a very simple one (probably its chief secret).
Nice big gears with not too many teeth.

The ENV (of both types) is probably the best gearbox fitted to a standard MG in my opinion, sweet ratios, slick change and it sounds nice too.
It is a bit noisy admittedly but it is a pleasant noise singing away (as long as you are not in a saloon).

Regards David
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000